shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom ring rendering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I''ve seen a few digital renderings of custom rings recently that look really nice. I had a jeweler make one for a ring that I will be making soon, but it wasn''t quite right. I would like to try to draw it up myself. Anyhow, what software does everyone use to make those renderings?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
We have Matrix here, you would pay $6,500 for the program, plus class room time and money. Its something you just dont pick up and use.

I ask for the customers ideas and we work from there off of really bad skeatches from the customer. We offer ideas created from the customers thoughts.
We are going to open up a new division here just for that.

Best of luck

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Marqoid,
I use Rhino 3D. It''s inexpensive at about $700 or so. The rendering package that can be embedded with it is called Flamingo, though their are others that also work very well. I think Flamingo is about $400. These things are even less intuitive than Matrix. If you have some experience with AutoCad or any of the other CAD packages this fits in very well. If you have no experience, then I would suggest getting some experience with CAD at a community college first as these programs could be overwhelming in their complexity and technical lingo. For instance, just setting up the lighting environment to begin rendering a rather simple ring can take hours to get it just right. Lots of experimentation and there are very few tutorials or other venues on the ''net to learn this from. Best of luck with it and post some pictures if you do this !

marqoid

Rough_Rock
That''s more like what I wanted to hear. I have some experience with CAD, so with a little fiddling I should be able to get something done.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Corel... you can get a free trial version. I am learning Maya rather slowly.

Taking classes would probably make sense if I had more use for these. For drawing a reasonable ring model it may not be necesary. However, the task is deceptively easy - it takes as much detail as any technic design and then some.

Both below are 'real' jeweler's schetches, believe it or not. It can go either way.
2.gif

drawLine.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
steve! glad to see you back...and good as new

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 5:34:55 PM
Author: Feydakin

I could go on a long series of guesses where you are heading with this, but that would open up an entirely different set of arguments that I think you don't want to get into
11.gif
Aren't we a little presumptuous? Why don't you give him the benefit of doubt until you know otherwise?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 6
6.gif
3:53 PM

Because I have seen this same scenario hundreds of times over the last 15+ years I have been on the net.. And invariably, it heads the direction I assume it will head.. There aren''t a lot of people willing to drop $1000+ just to dabble at something..

Well it''s good to see you keep an open mind
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2005 63:53 PM

Because I have seen this same scenario hundreds of times over the last 15+ years I have been on the net.. And invariably, it heads the direction I assume it will head.. There aren''t a lot of people willing to drop $1000+ just to dabble at something...

What ever happened to the pen & paper option ? drawings are rather easy to scan
11.gif

Perhaps 3D design helps with the production process somehow (does it ?) Unless both paties get to play with the virtual object turning it on all sides... I can hardly see the advantage for commercial presentation only. It seems that only 2D snapshots of these rendering get to the clients and ultimately posted here. Is there a way to adjust the 3D object in real time
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2005 6:31:6 PM

There are other methods of presentation though.. We are working on being able to provide a 3D file that you can look at, turn to any angle, and generally play with on the web.. But like all things, getting it to the lowest common denominator is a challenge..
Some sites have something like that... try the 3D viewer of rings at www.cooldiamonds.com . Is this what you are talking about ?

Drawing software has the exactness - I could not live without. For jewelry, the precission of those shapes is plain scary.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
Steve,
I hope I didn''t give the wrong impression. I''m just a poor college student that saw some cool pictures and wanted to try to design my own ring this way. My only experience with jewelry is from what I have read online and the one diamond that I have bought for my fiances e-ring. I''m definitly not trying to inch in on anyone. I certainly wouldn''t spend $1000 to dabble, but I would (actually I already have) download the free trial version of Rhino 3D and Flamingo (they''re fully functional, but you can oly save 25 files). Ultimately I''m just a real do-it-yourselfer, in fact I really wish that I knew someone who could teach me to make waxes and cast. I had a friend that did, but she moved away a couple years ago.
In the end I''m just a guy the wanted to design a cool ring for myself. It may just be me, but I don''t think there is anything wrong with my intentions.
Also, when I said that the original picture I had seen wasn''t quite right, that was being nice. The picture was actually significantly different than I had imagined and the estimate that went with it was 3x that of others.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

That’s the problem I have… I’m a working Architectural Assisstant, a couple of years out of uni… and I used AutoCAD to get together some ideas I had about ring design.

Yep the cooldiamonds.com thing is good… but like noted earlier it’s an actual ring photographed and scripted to turn

The drawing I took to the jeweller was basically a cadded drawing plan, couple of elevations and section.

Like Steve said – scale was a tough one to get my head around… while I might have to design a steel frame to mm and on site we aim for cm perfection (mm with steel) jewellery down to points of an mm was tough… (A prong less than an mm thickness!! Yikes! Lol)

Would have liked to have done a 3D model… but I find AutoCAD 3D modeller a headache, preferring to use a prog called FormZ for modelling.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
You came to the right place to get some answers.

What you sent was perfect.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
The way Matrix is set up with my goldsmith is with on press of the button, my detailed design goes into his computer and he knows down to a nates a$$ the percise measurement and detail of the ring.

To me detail is a must , a finished piece that will be handed down for generations is a goal.

You must seek out people that take pride in their work.

"Skilled bench workers produce better services
& products". Their experience shows up in products, quality which you can see." Good intentions
are no substitute for hard work, honest dealings.

For others there are still lines at wa!!marts jewelry counter .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results