shape
carat
color
clarity

custom pave worries... 10 round 5 point melee too big?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandanop

Rough_Rock
All,

I am having a pave setting made by a custom Jewler in Newton Ma. I trust the jeweler becuase Martin Haske recomended them to me. My stone is 1 ct. (actually .998) Mara suggested I go with 2 pointers for the melee. When I got there, thet had a sample with 3 pointers, and some loose 5 pointers. The jewler suggested that the 5 pointers would be very little more money and that she would probably be happier with the larger melee. Now, I am a little concerned. Will the 5 pointers make the band too thick? My girlfriend asked for a classic low set solitare, but I recently got a small bonus at work, and decided to do a pave solitare instead. I showed her a pave setting and she thought it was beautiful. She is 5 ft. tall and has short fingers... Do you think there will be a huge difference in using the 5 pointers instead of 2 pointers?

Worst case, I could always have the ring modified I guess...

OH! and does anyone know about "diamond" cut melee?

Pete

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s all a matter of preference.

Some people want the stones to be as small as possible to make the center stone look larger. I prefer the side stones to be a bit bigger. I''ve always liked a little bit more width in a band.

I was recently looking at a ring with one pointers on the sides and I had to use a loupe to see the individual stones!

I think 5 point stones will be beautiful! They are not THAT wide that they will detract from the center stone and yet they will be big enough to stand out and "hold their own!"

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it is a problem at all.

A nice 1ct solitare won''t be outshon. I know some people want a thin line of diamonds but I am sure most people can get used to the extra ct weight.

What is important is the quality of the 5pt''ers.

I am guessing you have had a good look and think they are good enough. Hopefully he will set them tight and make the band the same width. I for one would like to see the pictures. It might be really nice!

I don''t know what they mean by diamond cut melee. It doesn''t make sense to me, but I have never heard the term before. I know that ''diamond cut'' has relevence in semi-precious stones and it denotes the better cut small stones meant for watches etc, so I guess it is a way of saying the stones are well cut. All diamonds are diamond cut because that is all that can scratch them, etc as you no doubt know. I am guessing they meant machine cut, which with todays technology is a pretty good thing especially given the fact all the melee needs to be the same size and with machine cut melee you can be pretty sure that they are.

Phillip

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Well... like Patty said, it''s all a matter of preference. I have to disagree with your jeweler who said that she would probably prefer the larger melee ~ thin pave bands have really come to the forefront lately so she may prefer the look of a delicate band. Or maybe she does like to go against the trend a little and would love something wider w/ a little additional total carat weight...

For me, I prefer a thin band and 5 pointers would be too wide for me. I have a 1.01ct stone w/ 2 pointers on the band and, at 2.3mm, I don''t think I would want it any wider. By the way, I''m also 5''0" tall w/ short fingers. You mentioned that you showed your girlfriend a picture of a pave setting that she thought was beautiful ~ do happen to recall what setting it was? If it was something like Michael B or Ritani... then I would probably make an effort to stick with a pretty thin band. That being said, Platinumsmith has a great point; I would be happier with high quality 5 pointers than w/ poor quality 2 pointers.

Here is link to my thread if you would like to see some photos for a visual reference: LINK

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamond cut melee,
Iv heard the term locally to mean melee that is full cut with 57 facets just like the larger diamonds vs single cut melee which is basically just a slice of diamond.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also I like 5 pointers in bands for 1ct diamonds.
2 pointers are kewl too but for me 5 pointers arent too big.
10 pointers is pushing it and 15 pointers is too big.
Unless your going for a 3-5 stone look then the bigger diamonds come into play in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results