shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom halo setting by David Klass, please assist

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I got my original setting from James Allen but am very unhappy with it so reached out to David Klass and he has provided CAD images, can anyone take a look and advise how it appears?

I want a halo thats slightly bigger than my original but nothing that appears too chunky. I have asked for the struts to go outwards with diamonds and asked for a petal gallery. The image provided, the height of halo head is 7mm from the shank. If i go higher, would that be too high? Any inputs on the image?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you again in advance!

_32867.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes it already looks good, but I am not really experienced in analyzing CAD's. Hopefully more experienced PSers will chime in soon.
And perhaps they can take a look at the halo angle. It looks like it can be angled a bit more to avoid a flying saucer look. I personally would not make the profile any higher but I love lower/medium height settings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it needs a donut. Sorry if I missed it but what type of pave will this be ?

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi Niel,

Sorry i did not disclose Pave
I want the halo to look similar to this photo. Sorry im really not familiar of the different types of pave, etc

_32883.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh OK. Make sure to ask if he can angle the halo a little. He might be doing that already I can't quite see in the halo cads currently. Also, I do think a donut is a good idea just becuase I think without that the halo has a bit of a look like its just been "plunked" on a band.

As for the height, I wouldn't change it

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Understood, the reason why he didn't add donut was because i told him I'd like my wedding band in the future to sit as close as possible to the ring but maybe i should ask to add since he was initially going to.

I also did ask him to tilt the angle of halo more per the suggestions posted. I'll ask for updated cads and repost!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! :angel:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
michelles85|1438453111|3909810 said:
Understood, the reason why he didn't add donut was because i told him I'd like my wedding band in the future to sit as close as possible to the ring but maybe i should ask to add since he was initially going to.

I also did ask him to tilt the angle of halo more per the suggestions posted. I'll ask for updated cads and repost!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! :angel:

The donut will make a tiny gap. If that's something you don't like then I suppose he shouldn't add one. I just never thought the gap was the end of the world. It gives the ring a bit of balance and I love the ity bity gap between the rings, make each ring seem like an individual piece.

However, that's how I feel, and how I feel doesn't matter.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want a gap (which I understand as I'm not fond of them) maybe instead of adding a donut you could make it a cathedral. I had David make a ring for me for an OEC and although not a halo, I had the same issue of no donut so that the head looked like it was just stuck onto the shank. I had him change the CAD and make it a cathedral and it solved the design issue for me while still allowing my bands to sit flush. I don't know if that will work with the halo you are envisioning, but I thought I'd throw out the idea.

25783.jpg

_32898.jpg

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi lookinagain and Niel,

I have asked DK to add donut as Niel suggested. I imagined i didn't want a gap with wedding band but i think Niel's right. The gaps not a big deal plus i believe the setting thats being made would look more appropriate with a donut. =)

My next question is, should the donut have diamonds or would that be too much because there's going to be diamonds on the struts? Also, ant suggestions on size of donut?

Since this is my second setting, trying to get it right & thank you very much for helping out! Greatly appreciate it.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't get diamonds on the donut since the wedding band could rub against them and possibly compromise their integrity. The donut may also lower the setting a little bit depending on the size of the center stone.

Have you decided on a wedding band? Is your engagement ring going to have a pave shank? Are you going to get a matching design? If so I prefer having an air gap between the two. If the touch then it just looks like a double band shank with the halo being off centered. The air gap between the two rings brings better balance. Now, if you go with a wedding band style style different from the pave shank on the e-ring then perhaps you don't want a gap.

You can also consider a plain shank for the e-ring. It really emphasizes the halo and almost looks like it's floating on your finger. I think David has a couple on his FB page and they were beautiful. He has a number of nice designs so it's difficult trying to choose one. He has about 5 styles that I'm debating upon.

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi solgen,

I am trying to decide whether i want plain or pave shank. I really wanted pave shank until i saw some photos online which i think you're correct, the plain shanks do really emphasize the halo. Also, if i decide to get pave shank, i am thinking of having David make a matching wedding band in the future.
Wow there's a lot to consider when creating custom setting. =)

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
What did you dislike about the James Allen setting? Understanding that might help with making adjustments to the CAD so you will be happier with this one.

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
The JA setting looks really cheap with a lot of metal and no weight.
Initially when it first arrived, the whole head of halo and my diamond were placed crooked so i had to send it back for repairs. When it came back, they corrected the alignment of halo and my stone but one of the melee on the halo was placed so low that in photos, that one stone appears really dark. I have emailed JA and they said they would take a look at it but was very rude about it and i just dont want to deal with them anymore. So i decided to get a custom halo ring made by DK and have him help sell my current setting. Ultimately its my fault for not looking for better quality settings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have a plain shank halo and I loooved the versatility. I feel the traditional HW style halo doesn't leave much room for "mixing it up", if you get me. Sure you can wear anything with anything but I feel like the look seems hodgepodge unless you have a matching band in there. You might throw other bands in the mix as well, but to keep it looking cohesive (in my opinion) you at least need the matching band.

With a plain shank you do not at all. I used to wear mine with a Cartier Trinity. Or you could do a bezel band, alternating shapes, colors, whatever, and it seems to go better as you're not trying to pair the band with the shank.

Also, a HW style halo is sooooooo common, the idea of a plain shank halo does make it fresh. He recently did a plan shank halo for someone here in a bezel with a more bright set halo. I adore his bright set pave.

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi Niel, i totally agree with you. With the plain shank halo, would you still suggest the donut? I have looked at some photos of plain shank halos and all seem to have bands that sit flush. Not that it matters because the current cad, band will not sit flush and there will be a tiny gap but wanting to know what would be the best for the ring to look well balanced and complete. =)

As for the angle on halo, i did ask David to angle the halo on both cads received but doesn't seem tilted at all. Do i have to be more specific with how it should be angled? Maybe I'm not relaying correctly. Is there a specific way I should request?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still say gap /no gap really isn't a huge deal but as you're concerned maybe leaving it in a way with no gap is a good idea. Mine was a ritani and the way they work (used to) was that they would just have the shank turn upwards at a 90° angle and connect to the halo in two places. This left for an opening in the halo and the ability to flush fit bands

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Ok, i have requested to add donut so once the cads available, will post for any additional advice.

Thank you again!

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, please see updated CAD image with donut and advise if this is better than the first one posted. Per David, once the diamonds are hand set, there will not be any gaps.
Any suggestions?

_32964.jpg

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
I have never see donut in real life. Does it appear to look more proportioned? If so, will approve cad with DK tonight! =)

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi. Your ring looks very close to mine. The donut looks fine to me.

mh_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathley|1438683141|3910906 said:
Ooohhg I love all of this

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
kathley|1438683141|3910906 said:
Oh wow it does look very similar! Can you post a top view? Trying to get an idea of how it will look overall.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks pretty good. I'm another one who likes halos with plain metal shanks. I like the contrast it gives you from the
sparkly diamonds to the shiny metal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like it to have thicker bars were the prongs are like your undercarriage or just one design all the way through like Kathleys?

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1438689805|3910938 said:
Do you like it to have thicker bars were the prongs are like your undercarriage or just one design all the way through like Kathleys?
Good morning! I initially wanted outward struts with diamonds but the gallery looked very opened so i asked to add petals. The struts will have diamonds. =)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
michelles85|1438696806|3910963 said:
Niel|1438689805|3910938 said:
Good morning! I initially wanted outward struts with diamonds but the gallery looked very opened so i asked to add petals. The struts will have diamonds. =)

Oooh! Ok then that makes sense ::)

michelles85

Shiny_Rock
I've approved the cad so thank you to everyone for all the suggestions! Not sure what the next step is but will keep evryone posted, if interested. Hopefully the ring comes out as beautiful as i envision it to be! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results