shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushy Cushion Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
GIA - CU
1.20 Carat Weight
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Measurements: 6.94-5.96.3.89
Depth: 65.30
Table: 54
Culet: SL
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
$9000

What do people think?
Yes, I know cushions are pretty much personal preference.
Any glaring issues?

UGH, sorry about the Double post this is the second time this has happened to me. SORRY!
In trying to fix it, I made this thread a mess, please excuse me.

120 VS1D cushion Resized.jpg

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
I''ll Try to make up for it by posting a couple great pics of Cushions.

Leon Mege Cushion.jpg

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
I've made a mess out of this thread.
7.gif

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
This is the Cushion in Question. Please excuse my idiotic posting behavior.

120 VS1D cushion Resized.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Get it while you can!
From your description, this is one over the top rock and it's hard to stay cool and try out some cold judgement after all. And I haven't even seen it!
9.gif

From this side of the screen it just looks bright and beautiful, of course. And about the size of a 1 carat round - which is not bad at all for a fancy. Just for the record, an ideal cut round of the same size would not have been much cheaper: that means "ok size for weight" to me. Not to mention a fine cut fancy shape like this seems quite a bit harder to locate, no ?

Now, "cushion for cushion" there is some premium for the Ex-Ex and optimized brilliance (is it? The pics look nice). Not that D/VS1 is not way above and beyond the "good looks" requirement as well. Once you are cool with that, why not.

Just curious, how does the I-scope look ? There were a couple of these brilliant cut cushions around - amazingly bright, but with not much technical track record to ooh and aah about
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
looks like a really pretty cushion to me, if you''re willing to pay the D/ VS1 premium. and i am a cushion lover!!!! what kind of setting are you planning with this more elongated cushion?

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
It''s elongated shape is kind of what has me holding back.
I really want a more square shaped cushion, but not necessarily perfectly square.
I''m also concerned about the slightly large cutlet.

We''re looking for a delicate setting, with a narrow shank, 2.5mm or so,
something that will really set the stone off,
something that I can put a wedding band next to, which is VERY Important to me.
Something with some detail in the head.
Love Leon Mege, but I don''t think the budget will allow.
His work is stunning but it''s a bit like drinking whipping cream.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pave and eternity-style setings at DCD and WF might just do the trick, no ?

If you like the shape, I can't see why it wouldn't fit in a solitaire next to a w-band.

About the specs... well, it could still be 1.5 carats G/VS2 if you are not tired of the hunt. This one has almost the same specs (61% depth, 54% table, 1.17:1 l/w). Not that it has to be - if it wasn't for the matching numbers I would not have mentioned.

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Ana-

I think my real problem is I can't decide between a modern cushion and a Square H&As.

I'm concerned about the depth of the Square H&As, they are usually in the low 70s.
I worry that too much of the stone is hiding in that depth, small for the size.
I have a feeling that the optics of the stone - brilliance/fire/scintillation make up for this.
I wonder if I'm a H&As person, they sort of look harsh to me. Does anyone else feel this way?
I have not seen one in person yet. (I wish someone would send me some good photos of their Square H&As, Hint Hint!)

Some of these Modern cushions are reported to be quite brilliant and firey.
(I wish someone would send me some good photos of their Modern Cushion, Hint Hint!)
I'm attracted to the shallower depth because of the larger size.
And I can get a slightly larger/whiter stone in the price bracket we're looking in.
(I'm very sensitive to color and would never go below a G rated stone.)
I like the romantic look of this cut, however I'm concerned about the optics.
I'm concerned that these are not going to be showy enough for me, and no one locally has any to look at.

I'm looking for a stone that will rock your socks off!

David and Co, in Chestnut Hill MA, treated me like I was homeless when I asked to see a nice 1 - 1.5 carat Cushion in the $9000 range. He handed me a 3 carat cushion like it was something every twentysomething could afford. "Comeback to us when things are better!" he said. It's very hard to get an idea of a stone based on something that is 3 times the size you can afford.

Question, do cushions just look better in a larger carat weight?

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
I have a bunch of pictures of my square H&A here. It''s a 1.28 I/SI1 VG/Ex. and has a habit of mesmerizing people. Just the other day it caught the eye of a sales clerk at a local jeweler who commented several times on how sparkly it was.
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
have you looked at the goodoldgold website? they have some really nice pictures of square H&A and modern cushions. personally, i prefer the modern cushion because it has that more feminine feel which is what i am after.

if you don't want a more elongated stone, i would pass on the one above. you'll find something closer to what you want. that one is pushing 1.2 it seems, and i really like stones that are just under 1.1, i think. (haven't found my e-ring stone yet, waiting until we've saved enough money..)

i definitely think you should check out GOG- they have a couple 2 ct cushions that i really like and i think they are both pretty flashy stones.

i can't believe you went to someone who told you to come back when you had more money! jerks... $9000 is definitely not a small chunk of change and will buy a VERY nice ring.

also, i do think cushions look better in larger sizes, only because smaller stones really don't show off the shape as much.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Yeah baby, YEAH!!!
I love it.

Let me tell you this- my mod cushion is square, and part of me wishes it was a little rectangular...most people think it''s round when set...so I''m way into the rec shape!

Also, that''s a DBOF, right? Lifetime upgrade baby!

I do like the H&A cushion. It''s a great stone. But there''s no way I''m paying all that money for that depth. Heck no. (your stone IS beautiful addelpated!)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Looks rectangular in the pic...think b/c of the size of the original pic...this is before I had....

myorig.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m a proud parent...but you did ask LOL

made.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Temp setting until I can do a Leon one day...or upgrade
9.gif

picturebox.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
(can you see that the modern cushion gets me very excited?)
9.gif

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ms. MMM and And Addlepated!

I'm waiting on Pictures on the 1.25 F VVS2 - Considering this one too. I wondered if the depth was too shallow.

MMM - I agree with you on the depth of H&As squares. I just wonder if you can get that *BAM* out of a cushion?

MMM can you tell me more about what specs I should be looking for? Depth - Table, etc?
Can you tell about a little more about your cushion and how it handles the light?
I think you said somewhere that it sparkles like some of the best rounds you've seen.
DID you go with DBOF or Mark T? Mark T right? Does he do lifetime upgrades too?
Purchase price or current value? Also how long did it take in to find your stone?
Can I consult you about stones as I go through this process? Would you mind?
You seem to be one of the local cushion experts! (Yours is stunning!)

Addlepated - It does look mesmerizing!
Does it just make your heart stop everytime you look at it?
Does it just blaze with fire like the pictures suggest?
Because of the H&As cut pattern does it look round when set?
Yours is stunning too!

You both have every right to be proud parents!
THANK YOU Both for responding!
Daisy

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I really don't know much at all..other than I know a great stone when I see one! :)
I went with Mark...but DBOF is good too e/t I dislike them personally from their posts on DT and for other reasons...but I would do business with them if the stone was right. I happened to find my own stone on BlueNile and told Mark about it...He got it the next day or so. So I was really lucky....I had been dealing with GOG but we had some issues...I've been looking on BlueNile and there seems to be less mod cushions than I remember seeing in the past. New stones pop up every friday morning I think...they don't own the stones and either Mark or DBOF...or anyone...can get it. Did you check out the Niceice cushion I posted? That's a really fine stone too.
I love my cushion. It has so much fire and brilliance...I seen rainbows all the time. I'm just not a round girl although I'm sure rounds do better on the BScope and lightscope...but that's science- a round stone wil have potential for the most light return...over the best fanices I'm sure...but I don't care. My stone has no dark shadows and is awesome. I love it. Sometimes I think I may have done a round for the size. I SURE as heck would do a 62 cushion. OH YEAH. And DBOF doesn't pick crappola. Dave (Old Miner) said to use the round gemappraisers chart for square cushions and oval for rec cushions...and if the stone is in the middle, you kind of use both as a guide. I really don't care much for numbers...there is no ideal depth and table. I think that all of the mod cushions on DBOF and NiceIce fall into the "ideal" range for fancies (e/t there is no "ideal" for fancies"
Feel free to pm me...don't know what help I am though! Oh yeah, Mark does a 90% upgrade purchase price. No vendor out there does a current price. That's suicide for them...that's why they do 'ok' with the upgrade..they give you what you paid not what it's worth (more) when you turn it in...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
!

rainbows.jpg

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 7:35:14 PM
Author: MaybeDayze
Addlepated - It does look mesmerizing!

Does it just make your heart stop everytime you look at it?

Does it just blaze with fire like the pictures suggest?

Because of the H&As cut pattern does it look round when set?

Yours is stunning too!
Yes, yes, no, and thanks!
2.gif

It is very very sparkly, casting off all sorts of colors. Any sort of direct lighting really fires it up. I generally see more colors out of it than I do white light. I have had it for a month and I still spend a good amount of quality time every day just gazing at it and wiggling my fingers. I''m thinking about seeking help for my addiction.

In the pictures it does look very round in the setting, but I think that''s because the setting itself is a round head underneath the prongs. In real life it looks much less round. I think that in a different setting (especially one that wasn''t made for a round diamond like mine is), it would definitely look nice and square.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2005 7:35:14 PM

I''m waiting on Pictures on the 1.25 F VVS2 - Considering this one too. I wondered if the depth was too shallow to refract properly.
Noooo... diamonds are the same matter regardless of what shape they are cut. The depth is only restricted by the optics of the material... so what works for one works for all.
2.gif
It just so happens that more depth is traditionally acceptable in some shapes while not so in others. It never shows and it is not needed to provide brilliance
34.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"It just so happens that more depth is traditionally acceptable in some shapes while not so in others"

Exactly Ana! Very well put! Like when people see a 65 depth princess, they''d probably think something was wrong LOL...probably me too...but only b/c we''re not used to seeing well cut princess stones! I think that a 62. depth in that cushion with that table make for awesome possibilities!

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Here's the 1.25 F VVS2
Measurements: 7.14-6.15-3.84
Depth: 62.40
Table: 55
Cutlet: Medium
Polish & Sym: EX/EX
$9000

I got very excited about the depth.
the smaller cutlet is also a plus.
Measurement look nice for the weight.
Still concerned about the elongated ratio, of 1.16 I think. (My math skills stink!)
The ratio bothers me less in this stone that the other, this one looks fatter.
Scared to let this one go!
Looks like a beauty.

Question - Does it look like it curves more on the left side than the right?
Right side look straighter?

125VVS2F cushion pic.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2005 12:35:14 PM
Here''s the 1.25 F VVS2
Scared to let this one go!
It looks like these two diamonds could be the perfect pair of sidestones - they are so alike !
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size difference is so small (about 2%) it is hard to scale !

2C.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2005 12:56:35 PM
Ana thanks for the side by side - that helps!
Well.. the pictures are not really comparable because the lighting was different. The two stones really have the same size, but if they look different due to cut it''s another story. Is there any way to obtain a real side by side picture ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results