shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion with six main pavillions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indypitty

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I know I should already know the answer to this since I already own this cushion and have been wearing it for several months, but I am confused about the pavillions. There has been a lot of talk on these boards lately about cushions and the number of pavillions. It seems like the majority of cushions have either four or eight main pavillions ~ is that right? I am just curious because mine has six. How does this change the look of a diamond? I have looked at tons of pictures, but I really can''t tell. Mine is a cushion brilliant. I hope someone can clarify this for me. Thanks!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Hi indypitty
35.gif
I love your cushion and that yummy pave band of yours
18.gif
! Could you post a photo of your ring and your facet plot and hopefully one of the cut experts can chime in regarding the differences.

If I remember correctly, the pavilion plot for your stone has three mains oriented in the 2, 3, 4 o'clock postitions and another three in the 8, 9, 10 o'clock regions of your stone (thereabouts, right?). I've come across ovals with that facet plot before, but I haven't seen any other cushions during the course of my search that had that pattern. I wonder if yours started out life as an oval the same way xraydoc's cushion started out as a RB (or so he thought). Anyhoo, I think it's lovely!

Maybe DiaGem or someone else can give you more nuts and bolts details about differences in the way the various cuts handle light - that part is waaaay over my head.

indypitty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Pixley!

Yes, you are correct in regards to the positions of the mains being at the 2, 3, and 4 o''clock and 8, 9, and 10 o''clock positions. You brought up an interesting point about ther possibility of my diamond having started out as an oval. It does have a longer l:w ratio of 1.26. I am just curious about this since I haven''t actually come across any other cushions with six main pavillions.

This is what my facet plot looks like. Any experts care to chime in???

GIA15736197_zoom[1].jpg

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
For some reason, I feel like I saw one like this somewhere on GOG''s website. Maybe shoot Jon an email and ask.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

indypitty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, ksinger. I had not seen that thread before. The cushion with six pavillions on that thread is listed as a modified brilliant whereas mine is a cushion brilliant. However, mine has an AGS certificate. Do GIA and AGS call the cushions with six mains different names?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From reading the threads I get the distinct impression GIA is not all that consistent in what they call a cushion - brilliiant, modified brilliant, etc. (Of course cushions aren''t exactly standardized are they?) I seem to recall reading that sometimes they don''t even have the cushion plots correct. I''m sure someone else could elaborate. I think it may have been in one of those cushion threads I pulled up after a search, that had about 1 billion posts, and was so rich with data, that I finally had to close my brain down ''cause it was full.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results