shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs RB- how to choose?

paperumbrella

Rough_Rock
I am having a bit of a dilemma deciding between a cushion cut and RB. My head says I should go for the RB as they generally have the most sparkle, face up larger for comparable ct, it seems easier to judge their performance using numbers/images, which is important when buying online, there seems to be more inventory, and I think it is perhaps a more classic/traditional look. However, my heart just loves the look of the slightly rectangular cushions- they are just so unique and CUTE! Did any of you have this same problem (or choosing between 2 other shapes)? If so, how did you decide?

KatSullivan

Rough_Rock
I'm so glad you posted this because I'm going through the exact same situation! I'm torn between a gorgeous 1.25 I RB and a 1.8 M AVC from GOG. I just LOVE that rectangular shape, but I'm just not sure if I could handle the M color for an e-ring...

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I struggled with this too. After being on PS for years and reading, learning and seeing, my personal opinion was that I could only get close to perfection with a RB. But, but, but I loved the pillowy shape of a cushion, knowing the cut wouldn't give me the "perfection" that
I thought a RB would. Buying my cushion was pretty much spur of the moment and I didn't give the vendors a whole lot of time to search.
I already knew what I wanted was difficult to find and almost "settled" for a RB. Honestly, I thought the cushion would look better on my hand and it was the first cut I wanted in the beginning. So I guess you could say I went with my heart instead of my head, :=)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think many of us struggle with this. For me, it was easy because the future hubby refuses to get a round because he found it too boring. I find that I just love cushions because they are each so special. I love rounds too but I got myself a bunch of round gemstones and smaller round diamonds. Plus, I just picked myself up a 0.7 ct OEC that I adore so far.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My original ering was a 2.03 E SI1 RB and I loved it. It was lost/stolen a few months ago and I *assumed* that I'd get another one. When I was in NYC and a PS vendor showed me a cushion, I was in love! I did decide to go up a bit in carat size so that it would give me the finger coverage I want, but I love the look of my ring (the stone itself is a totally different story for another post, but has nothing to do with the cushion shape, but with the vendor we purchased from)....

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I found cushions online and thought it was certain I would get an AVC. I wanted to show my bf how great they were, so we went to a few stores and tried them on. His first reaction was that when they are set, the prongs give them a rounder appearance so they kind of look like RBs but with less sparkle. Coupled with the fact that they face up so much smaller, I decided to give RBs a chance and I just could not overlook how important the size factor was to me. I looked at some 3ct cushions and they faced up smaller than the RB I ended up purchasing (2.66ct). I don't regret my choice at all.

Supers

Shiny_Rock
I had that problem too!
But SO preferred the idea of something different, so we went with a cushion.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went for the round for all the reasons you mentioned. Basically, I wanted the most bang for my buck, i.e. the largest stone,
and so I chose a round. I love cushions, and sometimes wish I had gone for one, but the round is very classic. I originally thought
that I would mitigate this problem by putting a round in a cushion shaped halo, adrianna or harry winston style. I didn't end up
doing that either, but instead went for a three sided pave. It all goes to this being a journey, I guess.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
I'm right there with you too! My bf and I are heading up to NY this weekend to look at stones for the first time :appl: and I already have appointments with GOG and ERD to look at cushions. However, I am sure that I will be comparing them very closely to RBs in size per carat and sparkle. I already know I want a halo setting, but I can't seem to settle on a shape. The more I read on PS, the more frequently I change my mind!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I find the size per carat argument to be incomplete. Cushions are also cheaper than RB so you can actually buy more CARATs. End result = face up size is the same. This always leads me to wonder why people care if it faces up smaller per carat.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo said:
Cushions are also cheaper than RB so you can actually buy more CARATs.

Really? Didn't know that!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Charmypoo- agreed! While I have decided on a cushion shape, I entertained the idea of a round, because the FI loves them (I also think in the back of his mind he thought they would be a heck of a lot easier to find!!!) but I just love the uniqueness of a cushion cut. I know no one in my circle will have one. PLUS, I too discovered that I could get a "Bigger bang-for-my-buck" with a Cushion....

As Charmypoo stated, fancy cuts are generally less expensive than Rounds...Either way, should you decide- both cuts are GORGEOUS!!! Good luck!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I went through something very similar, although for me, it was between a princess and a round. I have always loved princess cuts the most - even from the first time I saw one. I have always found rounds to be very pretty, but princess cuts are my true favorite.

When my soon-to-be fiance and I first started looking at diamonds, I knew that I wanted a princess cut. We focused only on them, so I knew nothing about the differences between them and rounds. We finally picked out a beautiful 1.53 carat, F color, SI1 princess cut diamond with beautiful sparkle from a local jewelry store.

After that, I realized just how many more rounds are sold, and that they are considered to be classic and timeless, while princesses are supposedly a fad. I also learned that rounds face up slightly larger. I tried to make myself love them as much as princess cuts, but I just couldn't. I'm so glad with what my FF and I chose, because I think that if I had chosen a round, I would have always wanted a princess cut deep down.

On a side note, I know that rounds are more expensive per carat, so many people feel that this evens out. My SO is very color sensitive though, so we were worried that he would be able to see the color in the corners of a princess cut in the near-colorless range. If we had gone for a round though, I think we could have more comfortably gone down to the near-colorless range, which would have made the price difference more bearable.

In the end though, I am very happy that we went with what I truly love, regardless of the other factors. I saw a beautiful princess cut on TV the other day, and my heart just sang. Now I just have to wait for my FF to propose! :)

I think that you should look at each side-by-side, and see which you love the most. Also, since you are deciding between a cushion and round, you won't have to worry about color showing up more in one.

Good luck!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew I could get a bigger size for the carat weight with a cushion for a cheaper price than a round, but that was only one
factor for me. Frankly, it was just simpler to find a round that I loved than looking for the same size cushion that gave me all I wanted.
I like the bigger sparkle, or maybe just different sparkle, to my eye with the round.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle said:
I knew I could get a bigger size for the carat weight with a cushion for a cheaper price than a round, but that was only one
factor for me. Frankly, it was just simpler to find a round that I loved than looking for the same size cushion that gave me all I wanted.
I like the bigger sparkle, or maybe just different sparkle, to my eye with the round.

It sounds like you definetly made the right choice for your needs.

I was just confused because your last post said you chose a round because you wanted the biggest bang for your buck. I do not agree with that statement. However, completely in agreement that cushion versus round brilliant in terms of look is personal preference.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
paperumbrella said:
I am having a bit of a dilemma deciding between a cushion cut and RB. My head says I should go for the RB as they generally have the most sparkle, face up larger for comparable ct, it seems easier to judge their performance using numbers/images, which is important when buying online, there seems to be more inventory, and I think it is perhaps a more classic/traditional look. However, my heart just loves the look of the slightly rectangular cushions- they are just so unique and CUTE! Did any of you have this same problem (or choosing between 2 other shapes)? If so, how did you decide?

I too have drooled over the cushions and considered one a time or two but have come to the conclusion that I'm just not educated enough or confident enough to make the right choice and that there are not enough of the non-modified cushions in my budget. I can totally understand your apprehension and also the way your are drawn to the cushions...there is something about them that just draws you in!

My first preference has always been toward the princess cut, which is where I am right now...but find it challenging to find inventory for AGS0 princess cuts in the size range I'm looking for. I have also considered the RB's for all the reasons you noted above...more inventory, easier to judge attributes and performance...it's an easier and safer solution. I guess you really need to decide if you want to take the chance, and maybe do a little more digging to find the perfect cushion, or if you prefer the comfort of knowing you can easily find a great performing RB. It's a hard choice to make, you aren't alone. Many of us have been there.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
shihtzulover said:
I went through something very similar, although for me, it was between a princess and a round. I have always loved princess cuts the most - even from the first time I saw one. I have always found rounds to be very pretty, but princess cuts are my true favorite.

When my soon-to-be fiance and I first started looking at diamonds, I knew that I wanted a princess cut. We focused only on them, so I knew nothing about the differences between them and rounds. We finally picked out a beautiful 1.53 carat, F color, SI1 princess cut diamond with beautiful sparkle from a local jewelry store.

After that, I realized just how many more rounds are sold, and that they are considered to be classic and timeless, while princesses are supposedly a fad. I also learned that rounds face up slightly larger. I tried to make myself love them as much as princess cuts, but I just couldn't. I'm so glad with what my FF and I chose, because I think that if I had chosen a round, I would have always wanted a princess cut deep down.

On a side note, I know that rounds are more expensive per carat, so many people feel that this evens out. My SO is very color sensitive though, so we were worried that he would be able to see the color in the corners of a princess cut in the near-colorless range. If we had gone for a round though, I think we could have more comfortably gone down to the near-colorless range, which would have made the price difference more bearable.

In the end though, I am very happy that we went with what I truly love, regardless of the other factors. I saw a beautiful princess cut on TV the other day, and my heart just sang. Now I just have to wait for my FF to propose! :)

I think that you should look at each side-by-side, and see which you love the most. Also, since you are deciding between a cushion and round, you won't have to worry about color showing up more in one.

Good luck!

You are able to articulate this so much better then I can. We are in the same boat and sing the same song!
Now, tell your FF to hurry up and propose so we can see that ring on your hand!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
I find the size per carat argument to be incomplete. Cushions are also cheaper than RB so you can actually buy more CARATs. End result = face up size is the same. This always leads me to wonder why people care if it faces up smaller per carat.

While the generic cushions will definitely be cheaper, if you want to maximize the light performance of your cushion you will most likely have to get an AVC. And with their premium, in most cases it won't be possible to get the additional carats to get the same face up size. I would have needed to get around a 3.2ct AVC to match the measurements on my RB and that price jump just wasn't worth it to me personally. So I guess it all depends...

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought rounds were boring, but then I started looking at cushions and realized how hard it was to buy cushions on-line. The more cushions I saw next to RBs in normal B&M stores (none advertise on PS, so they really are "normal"), the RBs were just more symmetrical, had better contrast, better facet structures, better light return -- they really were "ideal" (even ones with EGL certs).

That being said, I'm still looking for a cushion. The only difference is that I'm working with ERD and they're kind of like the "eyes on the ground". You can only really judge a cushion by looking at it, and you just can't look online.

Btw, margins for B&M stores = giant. Margins for the online merchants smaller by a factor greater than 3x (using B&M markup from the DC area for comparison). You're going to get "more" for your money by buying online, but you're going to have to spend more (in travel, in appraisal fees, etc) to buy any diamond online compared to a B&M store.

Good luck!

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
antelope1 said:
Btw, margins for B&M stores = giant. Margins for the online merchants smaller by a factor greater than 3x (using B&M markup from the DC area for comparison). You're going to get "more" for your money by buying online, but you're going to have to spend more (in travel, in appraisal fees, etc) to buy any diamond online compared to a B&M store.

Good luck!

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are totally right.

paperumbrella

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Septsparkle, I think you articulated my concerns well- I just don't feel confident enough to find a great cushion cut online (or in person, truthfully). I guess I will need to do some more research and take my decision from there. Researching diamonds is never a bad problem to have!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo said:
luv2sparkle said:

It sounds like you definetly made the right choice for your needs.

I was just confused because your last post said you chose a round because you wanted the biggest bang for your buck. I do not agree with that statement. However, completely in agreement that cushion versus round brilliant in terms of look is personal preference.

What I should have said,is that it was easier to find the size I wanted to see on my finger. With a cushion, I could have got the 'size'
but each cushion as a different length to width ratio, and then some, like bebe's for instance carry their weight in the bottom of the
stone rather than their face up size. With a round, I got the bang for my buck because I could get the face us size I wanted a bit
easier. I paid more for the round but I knew exactly what I was getting. I didn't feel that confident in my choice for a cushion.
Rounds do face up bigger so it wasn't like comparing apples to apples. Bang for my buck to me meant I knew what I was getting, and
it would meet my expections as I thought it would.

I'm not sure I made my rational any clearer, but I should have left out the bang for my buck bit. I probably actually paid more, but I felt
more confident I was getting the look/size that I wanted with a round. With a cushion, I wouldn't have felt confident that I got
the carat size look I wanted to see on my finger. My eye recognizes what a certain carat size looks like with a round, I am not so spot
on with a cushion, although I do pretty good with the Lucinda :love:!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a tough question.

Firstly while there are varying degrees in light performance in rounds, there is a certain similarity rounds will share when you're looking at top notch ideal cut rounds. Unless you're considering rounds that have been modified like Eighternity, Star129, Solasfera or August Vintage OEC's many top and near rounds share common characteristics and it's just a matter of finding one with the most exceptional performance and which appeals most to your eye.

Round vs Cushion though ... Cushions ... generic cushions do not share the commonality that rounds do and this is due to both proportion factors (geometry) and facet structure. The first question that comes to mind is which type of cushion? And even when you've narrowed down which "type" (ie. modern or vintage) the question remains how does light behave in that type of cushion in the most common viewing environments? The playing field is much broader when it comes to cushions so honing in on both the facet structure and its cut quality (ability of the cushion to gather light from the brightest resources and effectively reflect that back to the observer) becomes more of a challenge when you're talking about the world of cushions. 99% are not cut to any type of consistency even within the same cutting house. It's one of the largest "bag of mysteries" when it comes to diamonds and how it will appear. There are both modern and chunky facet structures that exhibit a watery crushed ice appearance (appear very similar) even though their facet structures are entirely different so honing in on an "appearance" (which breaks down to light performance) is *key* in understanding before you can weigh your decision on whether you should go round or cushion. Unfortunately basic photography, while good for determining facet structure, does not speak to how it will appear in real world observations all the time.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
calibali said:
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I found cushions online and thought it was certain I would get an AVC. I wanted to show my bf how great they were, so we went to a few stores and tried them on. His first reaction was that when they are set, the prongs give them a rounder appearance so they kind of look like RBs but with less sparkle. Coupled with the fact that they face up so much smaller, I decided to give RBs a chance and I just could not overlook how important the size factor was to me. I looked at some 3ct cushions and they faced up smaller than the RB I ended up purchasing (2.66ct). I don't regret my choice at all.

If I may ask .. what "stores" did you go see AVC's in? As far as I know there is only one place to see them and in the 30 years we've been around and the hundreds of cushions I have seen over the decades maybe 1 in 1000 cushions might comes close to looking like one. If you are judging them by what you saw in stores you've made an inaccurate assessment of an AVC.

With regards to your comments though, yes AVC's do not face up as large as rounds but neither are they as expensive as rounds. They are purposely cut with tall crowns and angles on those crown facets designed to draw in light from around the observer and above the horizon (ie. to draw in light from the brightest resources in the environment).

While I completely understand the mentality of spread for the carat weight, people who are drawn to vintage diamonds in general find the height of the crowns, softness of the edges, large culet etc. to be romantic, charming, soft and warming which is a general reason why people are drawn to this type of cut. Rounds (and most cushions in fact) are more icy and splintery in appearance. It's not necessarily for spread (although there are cushions that are purposely cut for spread) but for the whole character and personality of the diamond that captures their heart. It's not for everyone though. The personality and characteristics of this diamond must appeal to one.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino - I was not clear with my summary. I wanted a cushion and I preferred the chunky facets of the AVC. However, since my bf had never seen a cushion in person, I wanted to give him a general idea of their appearance so we tried on various "generic" chunky cushions at local stores. I did not mean to imply otherwise. Apologies.

The OP was asking about cushions in general and these were simply my overall observations/opinions.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
calibali said:
CharmyPoo said:

While the generic cushions will definitely be cheaper, if you want to maximize the light performance of your cushion you will most likely have to get an AVC. And with their premium, in most cases it won't be possible to get the additional carats to get the same face up size. I would have needed to get around a 3.2ct AVC to match the measurements on my RB and that price jump just wasn't worth it to me personally. So I guess it all depends...

I own an AVC and the above wasn't my experience. RB prices range as much as cushion prices ... so I guess it depends on what we are comparing. I compared AVC prices to well cut H&A RBs such as the ACA, Infinity, etc.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
calibali said:
CharmyPoo said:

I own an AVC and the above wasn't my experience. RB prices range as much as cushion prices ... so I guess it depends on what we are comparing. I compared AVC prices to well cut H&A RBs such as the ACA, Infinity, etc.

I also compared Ideal cut RBs to the AVC, but perhaps my case was different since I could stay around 2.5-2.7 in a RB but I had to go well over 3cts in a cushion to get the size I wanted. If I'm the outlier, so be it. But that's just the way it happened for me and it will be very easy for the OP to decide if this applies to her.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
This was the exact question I had when I first searched for a diamond for my ering. It really is such personal preference. I loved how cushions were different than RBs and went with a cushion for my ering, in a size that faced up as large as what I wanted in a RB. BUT... I loved the chunky goodness so much, I decided that I had to have an antique stone. So I upgraded to an OEC. I guess you can say I came full circle :cheeky:

Good luck with your decision... it's a delightful dilemma to have!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results