shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Question for Cehrabehra and Others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
... side view

Considering the double claw prongs... opinions?

r572-05Ww.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 1:48:29 PM
Author: boston_jeff
... side view

Considering the double claw prongs... opinions?
its hard for me to be open to give opinions for what you might like considering your stone is a lot like mine and I tend to lean toward what *I* might like... if I wanted that setting, I''d go for 8 prongs haha... everything just like that but ask him to spread the prongs enough to not cover the kite facet in the corner. Of course I''m a woman obsessed with just that ;-) I do really like that setting though... it''s a tad thin for my comfort but I am going for a setting over 4mm wide LOL

Don''t you dare leave this place without full disclosure!!! lol

Hey - when you take your camera on friday you can try to get some aset and IS pics... you show me yours, I''ll show you mine ;-) I would LOVE to compare them. My aset looks like a christmas package - all green with a red bow like a huge + sign LOL I have 4 points with BAD leakage and very little blue/contrast... The 4 points with bad leakage are really weird - they return no light at all face up (but they do provide good fire from an angle)...

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 3:18:01 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
its hard for me to be open to give opinions for what you might like considering your stone is a lot like mine and I tend to lean toward what *I* might like... if I wanted that setting, I'd go for 8 prongs haha... everything just like that but ask him to spread the prongs enough to not cover the kite facet in the corner. Of course I'm a woman obsessed with just that ;-) I do really like that setting though... it's a tad thin for my comfort but I am going for a setting over 4mm wide LOL

Don't you dare leave this place without full disclosure!!! lol

Hey - when you take your camera on friday you can try to get some aset and IS pics... you show me yours, I'll show you mine ;-) I would LOVE to compare them. My aset looks like a christmas package - all green with a red bow like a huge + sign LOL I have 4 points with BAD leakage and very little blue/contrast... The 4 points with bad leakage are really weird - they return no light at all face up (but they do provide good fire from an angle)...

GF has a finger in the size 5 range, and wants something thin and delicate, thus the ~2mm setting. I thought that the double claw prongs would be good for a similar reason-- less likely to cut off any of the chunky facets in the corners of the stone...

I promise I will keep you all updated throughout the rest of the process through the proposal. It is the least that I can do to show my appreciation for all the time and advice I have received. What would be the point of getting this far along without giving everyone the payoff? Do you think I could possibly that cruel? Why wouldn't I want people giving me
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
?!?! [hopefully, anyways]

Nancy told me that the ASET and IS never tell the tale with stones like "ours" (hehe), but that it is fun to play around with them anyway. I will try to get as many pics as possible. Do you just try to take a picture through the viewer? Any basic advice for taking nice pictures indoors re: backgrounds, etc. I have not won too many Pulitzers for my photography skills...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff,

I LOVE that setting and it is one of the 2 I am considering. The other is basically doing a super thin knife edge (under 2mm if possible) with a similar basket from Mark T. I really like the look of super thin settings on my finger too, which is between a 5.5-6 depending on the sizers. Anything you put that stone in will be beautiful!

But beware, that setting is really really thin. Some women (many of my friends for example) don''t like how the super thin settings look on their fingers. So if she doesn''t know...you might want to see what size band she gravitates towards.

I think it would be gorgeous with the double prongs too.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Jeff! Great stone. Strong blue will give it some subtle extra character I think.

I like the double prongs idea, part of the signature look there. My own personal taste leans towards r776 on his site, somewhat thicker band shown with a 2.37 cushion here, great looking stone in that one by the way, but I think the setting you''ve picked is probably more to Leon''s own preference.

You were asking about my search on the other cushion thread. There are 2 and 1/2 possibilities right now, expecting some more info and photos this week. They are lower color than I want and one is priced 10% higher than average for the color and clarity. My drop dead date isn''t for several months though
1.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I too love that leon mege setting a lot. I sent a link of it to my boyfriend, so I'm hoping that is what he'll end up picking. I bet it's going to make your stone look freaking HUGE. My stone won't be that big, which is why I want to do anything I can to make it look bigger.

I pretty much suck at picking out cushions so I'm just going to let my thread die. lol. I just don't have the knack for it.
41.gif
If my boyfriend doesn't go to Mark T. for advice, I'm probably just going to make him buy the stone off of JA that I originally thought was scary because of the bowtie...cause I trust Cehaebra and I remember she liked that one! lol Then I'll just wear whites and pastels for the rest of my life.
2.gif

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this all pans out, I bet your girlfriend is going to be thrilled!!

ETA I know I totally butchered her s/n, but you all get the point.
12.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 5:33:34 PM

Date: 3/18/2007 3:18:01 PM
its hard for me to be open to give opinions for what you might like considering your stone is a lot like mine and I tend to lean toward what *I* might like... if I wanted that setting, I''d go for 8 prongs haha... everything just like that but ask him to spread the prongs enough to not cover the kite facet in the corner. Of course I''m a woman obsessed with just that ;-) I do really like that setting though... it''s a tad thin for my comfort but I am going for a setting over 4mm wide LOL

Don''t you dare leave this place without full disclosure!!! lol

Hey - when you take your camera on friday you can try to get some aset and IS pics... you show me yours, I''ll show you mine ;-) I would LOVE to compare them. My aset looks like a christmas package - all green with a red bow like a huge + sign LOL I have 4 points with BAD leakage and very little blue/contrast... The 4 points with bad leakage are really weird - they return no light at all face up (but they do provide good fire from an angle)...

GF has a finger in the size 5 range, and wants something thin and delicate, thus the ~2mm setting. I thought that the double claw prongs would be good for a similar reason-- less likely to cut off any of the chunky facets in the corners of the stone...

I promise I will keep you all updated throughout the rest of the process through the proposal. It is the least that I can do to show my appreciation for all the time and advice I have received. What would be the point of getting this far along without giving everyone the payoff? Do you think I could possibly that cruel? Why wouldn''t I want people giving me
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
?!?! [hopefully, anyways]

Nancy told me that the ASET and IS never tell the tale with stones like ''ours'' (hehe), but that it is fun to play around with them anyway. I will try to get as many pics as possible. Do you just try to take a picture through the viewer? Any basic advice for taking nice pictures indoors re: backgrounds, etc. I have not won too many Pulitzers for my photography skills...
actually... from what I''ve seen the double claw prongs face the same direction and cover up even more of the corner kite facet.... they share that space on the corner. Do a search on them and look at the pics....

I know the aset and is don''t tell the whole story, but they tell *part* of the story... David Atlas once wrote a thread here about how the face up view was by far the most important view and all other views were secondary and that some stones might look better from other angles, but you don''t really want those... and I totally disagree with that. Well I don''t, but it depends on what your GOALS are. A stone like mine and I''m assuming like yours, is like a sculpture that can be looked at from *all* angles. One person''s "leaky" stone is another person''s "wow look there are rainbows coming out from every angle!" stone :) I would still get a blood red IS probably newline ACA for a pendant... but a stone set in a sculpture that can be viewed from every angle and look gorgeous is my kind of ring!! Face up might be the LEAST attractive of my views... but look at my avatar and tell me that view isn''t worth its weight in diamond
30.gif

Anyway... I still think its useful to have that IS and aset info just because I feel such a need to document stones like ours and say - hey.... I can only tell you what it is doing and take a billion pictures, but this is what it looks like using the tools you use for rounds and asschers... kwim? I guess I don''t expect you to be quite as passionate about this as me... in fact... I''m sure I''m a fool for it LOL! As for photo tips, I''ll go over what I think later... promise :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 5:43:03 PM
Author: elmo
Congrats Jeff! Great stone. Strong blue will give it some subtle extra character I think.

I like the double prongs idea, part of the signature look there. My own personal taste leans towards r776 on his site, somewhat thicker band shown with a 2.37 cushion here, great looking stone in that one by the way, but I think the setting you''ve picked is probably more to Leon''s own preference.

You were asking about my search on the other cushion thread. There are 2 and 1/2 possibilities right now, expecting some more info and photos this week. They are lower color than I want and one is priced 10% higher than average for the color and clarity. My drop dead date isn''t for several months though
1.gif
this diamond in your link is GORGEOUS!!! Nice antique style cushion... I don''t like the cushion in the thin setting but I know you''re just looking at the setting... I don''t know if that stone is better than Jeff''s... or worse... in fact I bet they''re pretty similar! LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 6:01:14 PM
Author: luckystar112
I too love that leon mege setting a lot. I sent a link of it to my boyfriend, so I''m hoping that is what he''ll end up picking. I bet it''s going to make your stone look freaking HUGE. My stone won''t be that big, which is why I want to do anything I can to make it look bigger.

I pretty much suck at picking out cushions so I''m just going to let my thread die. lol. I just don''t have the knack for it.
41.gif
If my boyfriend doesn''t go to Mark T. for advice, I''m probably just going to make him buy the stone off of JA that I originally thought was scary because of the bowtie...cause I trust Cehaebra and I remember she liked that one! lol Then I''ll just wear whites and pastels for the rest of my life.
2.gif

Anyway, I''m excited to see how this all pans out, I bet your girlfriend is going to be thrilled!!

ETA I know I totally butchered her s/n, but you all get the point.
12.gif
bahahaha you crack me up!!! ;-) Don''t "just" buy anything! I forbid it!!! And as for bowties... if you get a square stone you get a + sign instead lol

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 5:42:58 PM
Author: neatfreak
Jeff,

I LOVE that setting and it is one of the 2 I am considering. The other is basically doing a super thin knife edge (under 2mm if possible) with a similar basket from Mark T. I really like the look of super thin settings on my finger too, which is between a 5.5-6 depending on the sizers. Anything you put that stone in will be beautiful!

But beware, that setting is really really thin. Some women (many of my friends for example) don''t like how the super thin settings look on their fingers. So if she doesn''t know...you might want to see what size band she gravitates towards.

I think it would be gorgeous with the double prongs too.

Hi Neatfreak,

GF definitely likes the thin settings in a non-pave look, as she doesn''t like the look of metal... she was looking a 2mm settings in a pave setting, so I anticipate the solitaire to be around that or a little skinnier, barring durability issues...

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 5:43:03 PM

1.gif

I think that in person my stone looks a lot like the stone in the link you posted (
37.gif
)... Leon is very good at taking photographs capturing the facet structure of cushions in particular. I am going to ask Leon how skinny the thin setting is... I may end up somewhere in betweeen the two.

Please keep me/us updated on your search-- you seem to be very willing to put in the time to get the best stone you can, so I am sure whatever you finally pick will be amazing! Post pictures ASAP (I know, I''m a hypocrit)

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
All I can tell you Lucky, is DO NOT SETTLE. You will be rewarded... I know it is a little harder for a girl to search for her diamond, but if your BF does not want to do it all himself and just wants you to have your dream stone, I see no problem guiding him along... At the very least insist that he work with Mark T.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra, I agree, one of the things I look for is whether a cushion has good performance both perpendicular to spot lights as well as at an angle. What do I know but I think it will be noticed across a room better that way.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 6:10:25 PM
I know the aset and is don''t tell the whole story, but they tell *part* of the story... A stone like mine and I''m assuming like yours, is like a sculpture that can be looked at from *all* angles. One person''s ''leaky'' stone is another person''s ''wow look there are rainbows coming out from every angle!'' stone :) I would still get a blood red IS probably newline ACA for a pendant... but a stone set in a sculpture that can be viewed from every angle and look gorgeous is my kind of ring!! Face up might be the LEAST attractive of my views... but look at my avatar and tell me that view isn''t worth its weight in diamond
30.gif

Amen. Preach on.

I''m sure I''m a fool for it LOL! As for photo tips, I''ll go over what I think later... promise :)

More like "Crazy... like a fox!"

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 6:28:20 PM
Please keep me/us updated on your search-- you seem to be very willing to put in the time to get the best stone you can, so I am sure whatever you finally pick will be amazing! Post pictures ASAP (I know, I''m a hypocrit)
Not just a good stone but good price/quality as well. What I end up with may not be everyone''s top pick
1.gif
but certainly unique. Image attached is best candidate so far.

cu1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 6:41:37 PM

Date: 3/18/2007 6:28:20 PM
Not just a good stone but good price/quality as well. What I end up with may not be everyone''s top pick
1.gif
GOSH I love these stones!!! I feel like I''m in such good company lately!! I can only think of 2 like this before me - fatefelice and tiger. Now you two and silverlily and me Woo! we can almost play a team sport LOL!!! Oh and xraydoc... but you and me jeff, we''re the only OMBs that I know of - so far :) This one elmo looks like a real contender - when I look at the stones like this I feel like they''re sisters to mine :) It takes a *different* sort of person to want a stone like this but man, they are so incredible... TONS of personality!!!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 6:41:37 PM

1.gif

Elmo-- you said it was a lower color than you would like? It does not seem to be that warm from the picture (although that may be the lighting)... what color is that stone? Other specs? It looks like it could be real nice-- have you seen it in person?

Off-topic: Since I am getting LM to set the stone, I want to try to get Jeweler''s Mutual to do that thing where they insure the ring before the stone is set. Do I just call up JM and explain this to them? I assume someone reading this has gone through the process... I am pretty sure I would need to have my appraisal from Nancy include an appraisal of the as-yet-non-existent setting...

Cehra, I''m glad to part of the growing club...

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
The Jewelers Mutual insurance application/process was very easy... I''m very glad to know that the stone will be insured during the setting process... Nancy Stacy was very helpful in making sure that I would have appropriate documentation to submit to JM.

I will revive this thread as soon as I have some photos.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
First, the "professional" picture from the light box. The "bowtie" you see does not look like that in person, and certainly not if the stone is moving at all...

PS-- not the similarity to my avatar... yay!

27110-01bFront.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
A little better...

P3230020.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
can do white light, too

P3230015.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
a little color, please

P3230146_1.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
very blurry but lots of little rainbows

P3230129_3.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
getting a little better at getting clear shots

P3230149.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
took this to give you all a feel for the crown height/angles.

P3230152.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
basic hand shot

P3230144_1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 5:51:54 PM
getting a little better at getting clear shots
gorgeous!! I tried to post before and, I''m having trouble with this site today... anyway I love your stone, yes it looks like your avatar and my stone''s WORST shot ever was its professional "mug shot" too LOL biggest ugliest bow tie ever (yes I said ugly bowtie LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results