shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion help and decision making. Directions please

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
Hello all. So I think I've asked variations of this question but now it's time for me to really make a decision and I'm unsure what to do. Here is my question.

I've put on reserve this Jubilee D 1.06 VS2 at GOG. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5041/

Here is my hesitation. The Jubilee that I have on reserve is within my budget and I have no problem paying a premium for a branded cut to obtain ideal optics but I must admit that I'm just not sure if I couldn't be getting a somewhat larger size diamond by giving up the premium for the D color or the branded cut and still get an amazing diamond.

My budget is around up to 8-10K, would like an ideal cut square cushion, optimized for light return around D-G, >1ct but would like a larger stone than the one I have on reserve, VS2/SI1.

Anyone out there with cushion knowledge/interest with suggestions for stones that are out there? Someone with time on there hands who wants to use their knowledge and experience to suggest some other options and help me?

I guess I am hesitating because I see so many cushions out there that are absolutely beautiful with simliar color and clarity but aren't branded cushions. And so I am trying to decide if there is a middle ground because cut is absolutely the most important to me but I would like to take advantage of my budget in regards to size as well.

I really thank everyone for their help in advance. (Now I finally feel like that person posting that "Please help me decide thread" :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok, here's my take...if the jubilee is your favorite (I assume you have seen the videos), then get it! GOG has an E color which looks nice too if you don't want D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore Good Old Gold's August Vintage Cushions. Have you taken a look at those? I don't think you'll beat the optical symmetry on the cushions that Jon carries. The Jubilee is a beautiful stone as well. Did your girlfriend specify that she wants a square stone? You can get a little more size visually with a round stone.

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
We did a look at the two and she definitely wants a square cut stone. I agree, I have nothing but amazing things to say about GOG.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! Glad she had a chance to see some! I like the Jubilee far more than a princess cut. The downside of many square and cushion cuts is that they are deeper than rounds and therefore have a smaller face-up appearance. One solution to that is to get a halo type setting where there is a border around the stone which makes it look larger. Otherwise, you just have to choose between greater size or square shape.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone you have is really, really nice. Its measurements are only a hair smaller than a 1.27 ct Solasfera Princess at GOG. If you don't want to pay the premium for the D, like slg said, there's always the 1.03 E Jubilee that's probably less expensive. Otherwise, if you want colorless and precision cut, the one you have is a winner.

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
It is true. We went out over the weekend and definitively decided that we both didn't like princess cuts and that we both thought that a square cushion cut was wonderful looking on her (also ruled out a round). To accomplish this, we went to Tiffanys and she loved the Novo, and so in this stead I'm looking for something similar to the Novo cushion cut. This being said, I'd be open to suggestions, such as more vintage style cushions as well....are there any non branded cushions that stand out?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you want something similar to the Novo, how about a square cushion H&A? GOG has one in stock that is almost identical to mine (theirs is 1.11, G VS2, mine is 1.108 G VS2)

here is a picture of mine

slg3stone.jpg

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
I'm starting to think as I do a very time intensive search today that maybe I should be taking another look at the August Vintage cushions....I'm all over the place I realize....Do you think that Jonathan at GOG has AVC's that don't show up on the search?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
greenmoose|1295998590|2832977 said:
I'm starting to think as I do a very time intensive search today that maybe I should be taking another look at the August Vintage cushions....I'm all over the place I realize....Do you think that Jonathan at GOG has AVC's that don't show up on the search?

I am not sure but you could contact him!

these videos may be helpful to you
http://vimeo.com/10780106
http://vimeo.com/6987722

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Greenmoose,

I'm quite color sensative and I was able to drop to an F color and still be satisfied that my stone (.77 F VS2 AVC) was colorless. If you like square stones, a square cushion hearts and arrows could also be an option (Has similar performance to a round).

What kind of a look do you want for your diamond - Lots of smaller sparkles or fewer bigger sparkles? Each cut has it's own special character.

It is possible that Jon has some stones that haven't been listed online yet.

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
I have to say, the AVC's are really amazing. So are the Jubilee's, yet they are both so different....and I'm kinda completely at a standstill in deciding. The Jubilee that I have on reserve is beautiful but I'd like something slightly larger which isn't available....The AVC's are beautiful too but again, I've spent hours looking over the online list GOG has and haven't found anything yet....

As far as the suggestions....they are great suggestions although I'd like to go bigger, at least >1.1 with a square ratio. I really hope they have something in waiting that they haven't listed....

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe call and see if there is anything coming in? I think the videos are a great way to decide what cut you prefer

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1296097616|2834276 said:
maybe call and see if there is anything coming in? I think the videos are a great way to decide what cut you prefer

Excellent suggestion, Jon might know of something in the pipeline which could suit you perfectly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He also can have one cut for you, but it depends on how fast you need it. There have been several girls here who chose an AVC and had them set in Leon Mege settings and others that are just gorgeous. I have to leave in a minute, but maybe someone can show you some pictures of some set. Of course, the jubilee and square hearts and arrows are gorgeous, too! Just depends on what you like the most!

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
AVC Cushion help and decision making. Directions please

That would be an amazing option, although in my email correspondence with Sarah, it doesn't seem likely that anything is coming in in the next couple months and she didn't offer that they can be cut. Her thoughts were that I'd be waiting months......have others had personal experience with getting an AVC cut for them or waiting on the waiting list for something to come in? How long have people waited until either something came in or they gave up and settled for what was there? I guess I'm a bit unsure of what my next step is....I've poured over their availability of AVC's and must admit there isn't an AVC that quite fits what I'm looking for.

There are a couple options don't get me wrong, but nothing immediately stands out.....thanks for the help....

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is the problem that the current jubilees/SCHAs/AVCs are too small? I think prices are rising, so waiting to get a bigger one may put it out of budget (or you may be fine)...

are you planning to propose soon? honestly a 1 carat is a great size, and all of those diamonds come with a great upgrade policy so you could trade in if something comes in? or, if you don't mind waiting, you could wait? how big are you looking for? some sizes are harder to find, and there are not TONS of jubilees/SCHAs/AVCs out there...

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
That is a very valid point. Although I must say, at the beginning of this, I had been looking for a 1ct stone. Then we went to Tiffany's and she tried on a 1.2 (6.57x 6.37x 4.20mm) Novo and it just looked perfect on her. And so now I'm kinda looking for an AVC with similar specs. That puts my range around 1.2ct. Am I just being too particular?

In regards to timing, as I see it, I do have a couple months but I feel like I'd like to put the biggest purchase behind me.....

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
On another note, they do have an I color AVC that is a good option but that is slightly smaller than I would like and more than that I would like a higher color option.....but maybe I'll settle if nothing comes about....

slg47

Ideal_Rock
did you see this?
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7313/

these two are a little off-square...
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7955/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7956/

if she really liked the Novo, I still like this one
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6372/

if eye-clean, this could be nice (great size!)
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7168/

I assume this is over budget?
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3781/

and of course the original jubilees you were asking about earlier are great choices as well :)

greenmoose

Rough_Rock
I did see that F 1.3 but honestly although it looks amazing, I'm a bit weary of those inclusions....

I suppose I'll just have to be patient or just take what's available with the AVC's. I remain very very excited about the AVC's as they are just beautiful stones. I think in regards to the Jubilee's....they are amazing stones and I may wind up coming back to them since I'm a bit out of luck of sorts with the AVC's but for now I think the D 1.06 that I had on reserve I'm gonna pass for now as I'm not convinced I can justify the premium for the D at this moment. Maybe I'll change my mind but for now....

I really appreciate your time and suggestions

slg47

Ideal_Rock
did you ask GOG if any Jubilees or SCHAs are coming in soon? GOG is the only place that carries the Jubilee so they should be able to answer that...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results