shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Eval...SARIN and ASET Included

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Here's the deal:

Been on the cushion hunt for a few weeks now. Requirements are simply a spread of about 8.4x7.6, depth over 60%. Been looking for a while, and here's one that the online photo absolutely struck me, and based on the specs and ASET, looks to be the winner.

Vendor and GIA report # are withheld for my own protection until I make a decision.

2.43 J VS2
Cushion Modified Brilliant
8.6 x 7.5 x 5.1
Polish VG
Sym Good
Flor Strong Blue
Depth 68.3%
Table 69%
Girdle thin to thick
Cutlet None

No comments to the report, and only one VERY small inclusion under the table, rest on off on the sides. See my PERSONAL comments at the end.

Vendor confirmed it to be VERY eye clean, and, in fact, recommended this over another stone that was 40% more (I, VVS2, same weight). It exactly meets my spread requirements, it is a little deeper than I'd like, but only by 3%. I'm ok with the florescence, as I've been told that a medium or strong blue on a more colored stone can help it appear whiter. That is not a negative to me.

Others on the board say go with what your eye tells you. After looking at HUNDREDS of pictures, this specific stone happened to jump out at me. Vendor stated if I like the photo of the stone itself, I'd LOVE this in person.

Please, any input at all would be most valuable.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have a regular image of the diamond (not ASET?)

Unknown

Rough_Rock
Sorry for a Newbie question, how to read the green/red image(first one)? Is it also an aset image?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be honest with you...in my book I find it only "ok". I dont like the big faceting pattern in the middle of the stone or the
dark facets running N/S. Plus its got a little too much leakage for me. Sorry :(sad

Can you have it sent to you before setting? It may be hard to really checkout since you wont have another cushion to compare
it with.

Edit - just have to add I am not a cushion expert...just been around for a while.

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the input ty.

Ive been looking for a middle ground between the chunkyness of the AVC and the crushed ice faceting found on modern cuts. The dark N/S (which will be E/W when set) are the bowtie which seems generally unavoidable with these. I do echo your sentiments on leakage, but this will be set low in a micropave.

Yes, I am buying loose and will have other cushions to compare to locally, and I have a very generous return policy on it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not liking it either.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1320805226|3057455 said:
TheGreatTwizz|1320805135|3057453 said:
Gypsy|1320804970|3057451 said:
I'm not liking it either.

Why?

It's not my favorite either but if it appeals to you then that's what's important.

I'd like to see a lot more red. Just more light return in general around the edge of the stone (especially on the longer sides). And I don't care for the center of it either.

It does show good optical symmetry though. And it's NOT a dud. So it could be perfect for you.

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the clarification gypsy. More red would be desirable, and I understand I'm not getting the red of an AVC. The symmetry, cut, and optics are what appeal to me, and I frankly have yet to come across anything even close. If you folks have any recommendations, I'm all ears!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TheGreatTwizz|1320807731|3057501 said:
Thanks for the clarification gypsy. More red would be desirable, and I understand I'm not getting the red of an AVC. The symmetry, cut, and optics are what appeal to me, and I frankly have yet to come across anything even close. If you folks have any recommendations, I'm all ears!!

Hi TGT... What I meant was more red on the long sides of the stone's crown facets like these two have : [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-cushion-feedback-please.167979/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-cushion-feedback-please.167979/[/URL]

AVC's are specially cut for light performance so it's not a fair comparison.

BUT just as an FYI... ERD (engagement rings direct) has also come out with a proprietary antique cushion that I personally like better than AVC's because they don't have the maltese cross. I don't know how their pricing is, but generally ERD is priced lower than GOG. Don't know if it is worth your time to look into it, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

phil94

Rough_Rock
I agree with gypsy. I am also in the market for a cushion cut and have been looking at ERD and GOG, both have great stones with costs slightly greater than other online vendors.

Twizz,
I saw on a post elsewhere that you discussed cushion cuts with a local (Philadelphia) appraiser and expert. I am in the Philly area looking as well, who have you found helpful and any recomendations on vendors? Thanks.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi TGT,

Just a question about the ASET images offered. One shows a green X in the center and one shows a red X in the center.

Which do they say is the more accurate shot and why? Curious.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thick girdle, leaky, deep... this would not be the stone for me. there are so many lovely cushions out there. i'd keep looking. i've seen this a few times when messing around with JA's search tool, and it's always turned me off. i don't like its pattern.

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Phil - If you're cushion shopping, buy a ASET scope and the light tray (you can google the source). This was invaluable. I spent 5 hours on the Row last Tuesday, talked to over a dozen guys, saw over 30 stones, and there was one superstar standout in the crowd.....Nate Barsky. Go there, ask for him personally, tell him you're a pricescoper (I didn't bring PS up, he called me out based on my knowledge), and you'll get a straight shooter who is interested in seeing you satisfied. I haven't yet spent a dollar with him, but if the bench work is the quality I've seen in the shop and what he tells me he'll deliver, I'll be a life long customer (and I'm a young guy with a penchant for jewelry for my girl, daughter, mom, etc....) His demeanor and service were spectacular, and after looking at a few stones there, he pulled one out of the front window (it was in a ring), showed it to me, I louped it and said it looked nice, he immediately took it to the back to have it removed so I could get a closer look. It may be the one for me.

Rhino - It was my understanding that the colors of the ASET flipped when the lighting is flipped (as is apparent between the images). If the green/red image (no blue) is rotated 90 degrees CCW, they'll line up, and the color flip looks to match. This stone will be in my hands next week, I'll report back.

MissStepCut - Yes, I have seen ERDs; my issue with those, the AVC, and the H&A cushions is that they are all square. I need something that's around 1.10 l/w, and with that, I cannot get a branded cut, and I understand I'm losing a bit of light performance in doing so, but that's what the future Mrs. wants. I've been searching high and low, would you care to point me in the direction of a nicer stone?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And you know the old saying ... when mama's happy EVERYONE'S HAPPY... :tongue:

All the best to you on this endeavor!

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
As an update, I purchased this stone from James Allen, and couldn't have been happier with the customer service from Adam B., or the stone. It is everything I hoped it'd be and more, and I'm certain the g/f will love it. If not, she can sh*t in her hat. :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pics when you get it! Congrats!!!

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Few quickies with my camera phone. I had my local jeweler set it so I could securely travel around with it for a couple of days. I wore this on my pinkie for a total of three days, looked at it in all sorts of light. I only saw traces of the florescence under flood lights in a parking lot, it otherwise was quite glittery.

IMAG0315[1].jpg

IMAG0316[1].jpg

IMAG0320[1].jpg

IMAG0319[1].jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results