shape
carat
color
clarity

Culet seen from side view?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I am going to have a round brilliant set.( 2.10 ct.)

My question is this: Should the culet be seen (from side angle)? The setting will be 6 prong. Is it easier to clean if it is visible and more accessible? Is it unsafe for it to be visible? Please share your opinions! Thanks! Pictures are appreciated as well!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1424370853|3834949 said:

My question is this: Should the culet be seen (from side angle)? The setting will be 6 prong. Is it easier to clean if it is visible and more accessible? Is it unsafe for it to be visible? Please share your opinions! Thanks! Pictures are appreciated as well!

I preferred that my culet be seen from the side because 1 - I like to see the profile and 2 - it IS easier to clean, I just stand at the kitchen sink with a soft toothbrush, use some liquid detergent, and voila, clean diamond.

Here is my 2.21 F-SI1 CBI in a Vatche Serenity Pave (6 prong) setting.

smx_profile_2014-12-09_6.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and picture. Your ring is gorgeous!

FourMine

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello,

I've seen plenty of rings where the cult is exposed. It generally should not be a safety issue as there is a head usually protecting anything from penetrating the space and getting through. The only thing you'll deal with is dust and oils have an easier time of getting to the surface of your diamond. That just means it requires some light cleaning a little more often. Because it is exposes, its also easier to clean. Some detergent and a soft bristle brush do just fine.

Thanks,
Anubh

Gemologist | Four Mine

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. A friend suggested if the diamond is set too low in the prong head, the bottom of the setting is reflected in the diamond. She said she has this problem with her ring. Thoughts? Perhaps she is seeing the culet reflected? Her diamond is an ideal round brilliant, GIA, triple x. Why would she be seeing a refection in the middle? She said it is visible with a loupe.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
PS Friends,
Please share pictures of round brilliant settings (side view). Thanks! :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stone is set so that the culet can be seen from side view. It's set as low as possible as I prefer lower setting so that there's less risk of knocking the stone.

side_43.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
baby monster,
What carat is your ring? I like the visibility of your culet. :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelmel|1424370853|3834949 said:

It's a non-negotiable for me. If it's not visible, and not set high enough for the culet to be visible and reachable, it's not well designed, as far as I am concerned.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it has to be visible, but the important thing is that it is accessible for cleaning. Here is mine although it is not a great picture. 2.3 cts. And yes, I can reach the entire pavilion to clean it. The culet is not set down into the band.

2014-07-17_9.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not from a flat profile view. But if I look down between the prongs, I can see it. Helps to have magnification, though! My stone is not set low. It is set at a medium height. In general, with a 6 prong setting similar to mine you won't see the culet unless the stone is set way too high. That is not a good idea. I also do not like super low settings.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1424650289|3836663 said:
Thanks for the input guys. Is the culet safe if it is visible?
yes.. ;))

img_7162.jpg

img_7164.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelmel said:
ame,

Why do you feel that it is a poor design if not visible?

Because the full beauty of the stone cannot be appreciated, nor can the stone be fully well cleaned. Junk gets trapped in there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results