shape
carat
color
clarity

Couple of Oval questions

topknot

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have been doing a lot of research in helping my boyfriend find the perfect oval diamond for when he is ready to purchase.

I know it will be between 2-3ct, and the rest I am trying to figure out best bang for buck based off that!

I want a dainty pave band and the focus to be the diamond. I know I want between a D-F color because I want that sparkle and fire. I have read that as long as an SI1 is eye clean you can go that low with a color range D-F. The one thing im having some confusion on is the Fluorescence part. Obviously its 2016 and I don't plan to spend much time under a black light :dance: so im not sure how much focus needs to be on that.

ANY insight, pictures, help etc is appreciated!

ps any recs for a jeweler in Dallas would also be a HUGE help!

And thanks!!!

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a thing for antique ovals, personally. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem to be less common than other shapes.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-22ct-antique-oval-cut-diamond-gia-g-vs2#.VxP6cT8WErI

As for fluorescence, rarely it can make a diamond look hazy, but otherwise I think they're a good value. And you never know, once you have kids you might be under blacklights more than you think. My kids have blacklight nightlights, and of course laser tag, some minigolf places, Disney Parks, and various other theme parks. I'm currently searching for a diamond with strong/very strong fluorescence for that very reason.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
topknot|1460915391|4020472 said:
Hi all! I have been doing a lot of research in helping my boyfriend find the perfect oval diamond for when he is ready to purchase.

I know it will be between 2-3ct, and the rest I am trying to figure out best bang for buck based off that!

I want a dainty pave band and the focus to be the diamond. I know I want between a D-F color because I want that sparkle and fire. I have read that as long as an SI1 is eye clean you can go that low with a color range D-F. The one thing im having some confusion on is the Fluorescence part. Obviously its 2016 and I don't plan to spend much time under a black light :dance: so im not sure how much focus needs to be on that.

ANY insight, pictures, help etc is appreciated!

ps any recs for a jeweler in Dallas would also be a HUGE help!

And thanks!!!

Fire and sparkle do not come from the color of the stone, they come from the cut of the stone. You may be color sensitive
and want a D-F but dont count out G's (maybe even H) either. Dont tie your specs down to tight (keep an open mind).
Ovals are not like rounds where you can order up a well-cut stone in almost any color/clarity combination you desire.
With fancy cuts like ovals you have to find a stone that is cut well (has good light return, minimal bow-tie, no shoulders,
nice ratio...etc) then hope that the specs are within your tolerance. Fluorescence is rarely an issue but if it's strong you will
need to ask and make sure it's not effecting the stone.

Here is where you usually see leakage in an oval. You want to minimize this blurry/dull looking area as much as possible. Almost
all ovals will have some though. There are some cuts that are different that cut down on it but like I said, they are different
(not my favorite) but I will post one of those for you too.

Also, with ovals it helps to know what a well cut stone actually looks like. They can not be bought by the numbers on the GIA cert so
I'll post a few that look nice so you can see the difference. Ignore the size/color/clarity...just look at the cut/faceting pattern.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.75-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-787050
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.73-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1037642
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.72-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1035270

This is an oval with a different faceting pattern than a brilliant. It's a 4 main...they tend to minimize bow-ties. Look at the GIA
cert and you can see the faceting pattern on the pavilion/bottom side is different then the more typical brilliant cut ovals.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-1047639

Compared to this which is the more typical 8 main. Some 8 mains have arrows cutting straight through the center, while others
(like this one) have them offset. I prefer offset but if the arrow is thin and is reflecting light most of the time then I'm ok with
the straight through the center.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1028749 offset 8 main
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.53-carat-h-color-if-clarity-sku-685105 8 main straight through the center

If you have any more questions...I'm happy to help :wavey:

oval_1_with_0.png

topknot

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for the replies! I went back and read my post and realized I left out that I want an excellent cut as well! So basically color and cut are known factors and based on that what clarity and any other specs would be the best bang for the buck! Sorry to have left that out!

That antique oval is beautiful, however I prefer a little more of a fat oval, so between 1.35-1.45 depth/length ratio. I feel like anything past that and they start to look like a marquise.

So as far as the flourense is concerned what is the better option, ranking from none to strong? For some reason that catagory confuses me the most!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excellent cut with an oval (and most fancies) means faceting and performance. Buy an ASET scope. Learn to use it. It's a good investment if you are shopping in person.

Learn what a bowtie is. What it looks like, especially in person.

If you can drive to Houston, I recommend asking Brian and Brian Gavin Diamonds to source and oval for you. He is very good at picking lovely fancies.

I haven't met a jeweler yet in Dallas that I'd work with (my family lives there).

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
topknot|1460939151|4020606 said:
Wow thanks for the replies! I went back and read my post and realized I left out that I want an excellent cut as well! So basically color and cut are known factors and based on that what clarity and any other specs would be the best bang for the buck! Sorry to have left that out!

That antique oval is beautiful, however I prefer a little more of a fat oval, so between 1.35-1.45 depth/length ratio. I feel like anything past that and they start to look like a marquise.

So as far as the flourense is concerned what is the better option, ranking from none to strong? For some reason that catagory confuses me the most!

FYI - there is not a set acceptable standard for what makes a beautiful oval, therefore labs don't give ovals 'cut' grades - so any 'cut grade' that you receive are opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt - - while there are certain cut issues you can look out for (excessive bow-tie/too deep causing extra unecessary weight/too shallow causing light leakage/symmetry/etc.) it's really all about what you find aesthetically pleasing.
Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results