shape
carat
color
clarity

Could 2 carat be 2 big???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

About 4-5 mos ago, I started the process of looking for diamonds with the BF. After trying on a number of rings, I decided (or at least I thought I decided) that my preference is for an approximately 2-2 1/2 carat stone. My setting of choice is a thin pave bezel setting. The BF knows this is my preference (and is taking it fairly well, all things considered).
2.gif

After spending much time browsing around on this board (which i have been doing pretty much obsessively for the past few months), however, I''m starting to wonder if a 2 carat stone (bezel set, no less) is impractical for daily wear. i always imagined that i would wear my e-ring every day, nearly everywhere--but some posters recently suggested that, in their opinion, anything bigger than 1-1 1/2 c would be tough for everyday wear. This is something that I had never really considered before. Also, I definitely don''t want the ring to look gaudy!

So what do you all think? I should mention that I have long skinny fingers (size 4ish), but am quite tall, so might be able to pull of a bigger stone. Also, I don''t have the kind of job that is rough on the hands (and thus the ring). Basically, I love the look of the bigger stone, but if it''s going to drive me crazy to wear it, what''s the point?

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Reena! I'm currently waiting on the setting with my 2.56ct center stone to be finished. My ring size is 6 1/4, and this is the perfect size for me! A 1ct. stone just seems lost on my finger, and to me, 1.5ct while bigger, is still not big enough, unfortunately for my poor husband
rodent.gif
. In my situation, a 2.5ct is perfect. It's not so large that it will hamper my daily activities (I'm a teacher), but it's large enough to be some serious bling! I will not want to go any larger.

Also, I think the setting plays a large part in whether the stone is "wearable" or not. Mine will be in a very, very, VERY low six-prong setting. I can't wait! I still have about 2 more weeks before it's on my finger. I don't see any reason why a low, bezel-set stone wouldn't be perfectly comfortable and "sturdy" enough for everyday wear.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it would be too big. For you, you like the look, so maybe not. I'm reasonably tall, but with small fingers (but not long), so we're in somewhat of the same boat. However, my SO and I really don't like how it looks on me. I have an "office" job, but I tend to be quite active and don't take my rings off unless there's a safely concern (say, rock climbing). I would just echo the advice given above, and have it set into a very, very low setting if you're concerned about it. (I'd do that with any rock, so it didn't get caught in pockets and purses and so forth)

My mom, btw, says I could pull off something that big, since I'm tall, without a problem, but would be scandalized by us spending that much money on it
2.gif

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I just popped back in to stress again how important the setting is. Before the upgrade, I wore (and am still wearing, until my new one arrives) a 1ct center stone set in a highly engraved, antique reproduction pave setting. The setting, while beautiful, just never felt right on my finger. The milgraining on the shank bothered me, and so did the "bumpiness" of the pave. I was always aware of it on my finger, and not in a comfortable way. My new setting, while housing a larger center stone, will be sleeker and less bulky than my original, so it will actually be more comfortable.

So, pick your setting with care and make sure it's something not only beautiful and secure, but also has a high "comfort factor."

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
N'ah... it is only too big if you think and/or your fingers feel so
2.gif
Bezels are quite comfortable to begin with. If you like how the larger stone looks in a bezel setting, than why not ?

If you have not wrn rings non-stop until this one, than it will take a bit of adjustment no matter what. Pave sounds less comfortable to wear (to me at least) but a 2cts diamonds does not by all means. This is just me, of course...

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks all!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
As others have mentioned, it's really up to you/the setting, etc, to decide how cumfy you will be w a 2-2.5 ct.

I wear a 2.5ct princess (which is cut deeper than a round so it *sits* higher) in a low setting & have not had any issues w it being too big...

Have you tried on any bezel set diamonds just under the magic 2 ct mark? I am in the process of purching a H&A 1.74ct round diamond & saved a bunch by staying under 2 cts... just a thought... if you put the diamond in a bezel set, it'll likely fool the eye into thinking it *looks* like a 2 ct that way
1.gif

Btw, i looked at a michael b pave band w a pave bezel & that darn semi-mount (sans center stone) was $11,900! YIKES!
eek.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that's good advice, I'm definitely not opposed to staying just shy of 2c, esp if there is a significant price difference. I don't have any particular attachment to the "2 carat" number--I just like that general size of stone. So that's definitely an option.

I too, am in love with one of the Michael B pave settings. The one I looked at was about $7k (it may have been thinner than the version you saw)--but that's STILL too much!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
michael b settings are way too pricey for me - i nearly fell over when i saw some of the pricetags on the semi-mounts
6.gif
- the plainest pave setting's almost $4k - YIKES! I understand it's quality & all - but that $11,900 setting cost more than my whole e-ring!
14.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
----------------

On 7/24/2004 1:01:52 PM reena wrote:

Could 2 carat be 2 big???
----------------

Only 2 big 4 a piercing in my nose.
2.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3.29 RB (9.59mm) center flanked by trillions on each side (.75 tcw). It is set VERY low, such that the culet is just above the point at which it would touch my skin. It is basket set. Also, the shank is comfort-fit and the shank is also substantial on the underside. Despite my diamond size, this ring doesn't spin and feels like a part of my body. I am not "aware" that it is on my hand, which is the way I wanted it to be. I have had other e-rings (I've upgraded many times in the past 15 years) and some of them spun on me all the time or were just uncomfortable whereas I was ALWAYS aware of it and I absolutely hated it. This current ring is SO comfortable and understated to wear, even though the stone is large.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Could it? No.

But, the real question is *will* it be too big for *you* and your lifestyle. I wear my 3c every day.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my 3 ct pear every day. They only time I have to take it off is when I have to put on gloves to do heavy yard work (the stone sticks up almost a half an inch). Otherwise it stays on ... I have worn it camping, to the beach etc.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I wear my 2.52 all the time except when doing things that require gloves (golf, skiing, gardening, etc.) Mine sits up too high, and spins a lot, so I am currently thinking about a new setting that will lower it and keep it from spinning. The spinning is what bothers me, not the height so much. Soooo.... good advice here to pay attention to the setting for looks, comfort and practicality.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
got a 3.34 ct rb 9.7mm now, too big ,looking to down size to a 2.75 ct.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I THINK FOR EVERYDAY THE SHAPE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE. (ROUNDS AND RADIANTS ARE MORE GLITTERY) IN MY DIAMOND LOVING OPINION NO GREAT STONE IS TOO BIG........ BUT MY 3.25 ASSCHER SITS LOW AND IS PAVED AND I WEAR IT 24/7.............

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I think 2 carats is too big, but if you can work it,
9.gif
go for it!

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks for all the good advice.

i went looking at diamonds again today, and the 2 carat stones i was looking at seemed as if they would in fact be manageable for every day wear. it might just be because the stones were loose, or perhaps it has something to do with the cut i am looking at (cushion), but i was actually surprised at how small (in a purely relative sense) they appeared in my hand. i think i'll be fine with the 2.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Reena, the stones will look larger once set, even in the lowest profile of settings. At least that has been my experience.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/24/2004 6:03:49 PM lop wrote:

I wear my 2.52 all the time except when doing things that require gloves (golf, skiing, gardening, etc.) Mine sits up too high, and spins a lot, so I am currently thinking about a new setting that will lower it and keep it from spinning. The spinning is what bothers me, not the height so much. Soooo.... good advice here to pay attention to the setting for looks, comfort and practicality. ----------------

HI:

As top heavy rings have a propensity to spin, can you not have those little metal pellets/balls soldered onto the shank to diminish the movement?

BTW, I tried on a 3.04 cushion set in an antique/diamond bezel setting and in NO WAY did I think it was too much for everyday wear. But that is just me; and my ring finger is a size 6.25. You will find your comfort zone
1.gif

cheers

slb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results