shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco wedding ring, what to check before resize?

RyanJR

Rough_Rock
Apologies that I have been a long time lurker, and am just now posting when I have questions.

My wife is foreign, and we married recently, with the intent to look for work together overseas or the U.S. She previously did not want a ring, so until recently I had not looked. After changing her mind, she still has the caveat that she doesn't want anything too expensive. She works with the elderly, and cannot stand to worry about losing it with as much as she needs to take it off for her occupation.

Right now I am in the states and while visiting a friend I saw a ring from Costco that I felt she will like, since it matches well to her taste, and it is not too expensive based on our talks. Per the costco wholesale certificate, it is 14kt white gold, one round brilliant cut diamond weighing approx. 0.5 cts, and thirty smaller round brilliant cut diamonds. Total diamond weight is 0.57 or greater. Diamond clarity is VS-2 or better. Color is I or better.

The form lists the "Costco replacement value" as $1899.99", which was the sale price. It also has a GIA number at the bottom.

I don't doubt that this is probably a very fair price for the ring, but I know that when I have it sized, it will void any return capability. She doesn't want to see it before we are in person, so part of me worries about having it sized prior to that. While in the states I believe it would be prudent to have the ring appraised regardless if I have it re-sized; I was wondering if appraisal is something that is generally recommended for rings in this price range, or if the likelihood of a concern when buying from costco does not warrant it until you get closer to 5k and above? My greatest concern is cut, which is not listed anywhere on the certificate, and yet seems to be extremely critical from everything I have read online. I am just not clear if I should be as worried at this price point.

I am hoping to have everything resolved shortly, I was luckily able to change my return flight and get to be reunited with her Christmas eve (had to wait until my spouse visa resolved). Thank you for any and all advice.

ring_13.png

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your not sure she will like it, you need to wait before you size it. I don't think you need to have it appraised, but that is up to you.
For that price point I would check if your homeowners insurance will cover it's loss. My rule of thumb as always been to insure an item if I couldn't easily replace it. The only thing I have insured is my e-ring. As far as cut goes, you do better at Costco, cut wise, that your typical mall jeweler uncerted stone, but not as well as using the parameters you will find here. For the total price of your ring, you probably did well cost wise. If your wife was more interested in diamonds or jewelry, I would tell you to find your own stone. You would pay more in total. Since she is not very concerned with jewelry, I would let her see it, try it on, and decide if she wants to keep it before you do anything else.

RyanJR

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response!

Talked with her a bit more and she agrees we should wait to resize it after I get back in Japan. She isn't worried about not liking it, but she agrees having it sized by a store that can measure her finger in person and adjust if at all needed is probably a good idea.

Not sure about insurance over there, will need to check. I know theft isn't nearly as much a concern as just accidentally losing it.

R

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she is from Japan, I would not get that ring.

They value high color and clarity over in Japan.

I don't think an I color stone is the best choice.

Can I recommend this ring:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-petite-diamond-accent-engagement-ring-item-50124
with this center stone http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.46-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-301042

And it has a 60 day return policy on the whole ring. And it will come to you in her size.

It does cost a little bit more. You could get this stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.45-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-380565 but that one has higher color and clarity and is only 300 more.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with Gypsy - Asian cultures place a higher value on color/clarity whereas American culture places a higher value on size and bling-factor, so I would go with a simpler setting with a single high color/clarity stone UNLESS she is American/Australian or has specifically said she likes a blingier look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results