shape
carat
color
clarity

Copy a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Thwomp

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading posts on this board, and I''ve learned a lot, but I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me with.

My girlfriend wants a ring that has been in her family, which has recently been given to me. The ring is silver, 4 prongs holding a round diamond at the center, and a baguette on either side. However, she likes gold, not silver.

Can I have someone copy the ring in gold and move the diamonds over? Or would it make more sense to look for a similar ring and have the diamonds moved to that ring?

Also, can anyone recommend a good jeweler in Orlando, Florida?

Thanks,
Thwomp

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Plenty of stores can copy a ring for you. Dunno about Orlando, Fl tho, sorry. I''m on the other side of the country.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure it is silver? It could be white gold or platinum. I have never heard of a diamond set in silver.

Thwomp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone! It sounds like copying a ring is more common that I guessed.

Date: 1/21/2005 4:46:24 PM
Author: NyssaLynne
Are you sure it is silver? It could be white gold or platinum. I have never heard of a diamond set in silver.
It certainly could be either of those. For all my untrained eye tells me, it could be steel.
1.gif
Anyway, I should have said that she likes yellow gold.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 6:57:53 PM
Author: Thwomp
Thanks for the help everyone! It sounds like copying a ring is more common that I guessed.

Date: 1/21/2005 4:46:24 PM
Author: NyssaLynne
It certainly could be either of those. For all my untrained eye tells me, it could be steel.
1.gif
Anyway, I should have said that she likes yellow gold.
Check the markings on the inside of the ring to see. If it's silver it will say .925. If it's white gold it will say kt(either 10,14, or 18), and PT if it's platinum

Thwomp

Rough_Rock
I''m learning so much! The markings on the inside of the ring aren''t very clear, but it ends in 14K (VR 14K? 1/2 14K?) I''ll take that to mean white gold!

Thank you!

Thwomp

Rough_Rock
I''ve done more reading here and come up with some more questions.

I''ve read that it''s a good idea to have a ring appraised after being reset, to make sure a good job was done and that the diamonds weren''t switched. But if I don''t know anything about the diamonds in the first place, that doesn''t seem like it would be helpful. Should I get them appraised before and after the resetting?

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
It would be quite expensive to pay for an appraisal both before and after. You can expect to pay around $100 each time, give or take a bit depending on the market in your area. Being Orlando, I would expect it to be close to the $100 range.

If you take it to a reputable jeweler to have the work done you shouldn''t have to worry about diamond switching or anything like that. I would just have it appraised after you have the new ring created. Of course it you can afford to have it done both times, then go for it. At least you will have peace of mind since it is a family heirloom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results