shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering an irradiated blue diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simpotun

Rough_Rock
When shopping for an engagement ring, my gf really liked this ring from an antique store:

Lady''s Estate Antique white metal Radiated Blue diamond straight-line designed handmade engagement and wedding ring set. The engagement ring has Old World Charm, elegance and fine workmanship. (Stamped Platinum). The ring contains 1-.93 carat Radiated Blue round brilliant cut diamond. The clarity SI2. Color Teal Blue with green blue-yellow color changes. The ring also contains with 2-.02cts. round brilliant diamonds. The clarity VS1. Color D/E. The ring also contains with 1-.01 cts round brilliant diamonds. the clarity VS1. Color D/E. The total diamond weights .99 TCW. The wedding band 1/2 round 2.5mm custom fit band. Total 5.48-Grams Weight TGW. $2500

Questions:
1) Is this a good deal? (i.e. Do you think I can negotiate?)
2) Radiated = "man made color" (I''ve been reading other posts). Should I be concerned?
3) Estate Antique = "Used & Old". Older cuts aren''t as good as today''s. Other concerns?
4) SI2 doesn''t seem so clear for a solitare-style ring. More concerns?
5) Most likely appraised in the ring. Can I trust it?

Thanks!
Simpo

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Simpo. If the stone is an irradiated round brilliant cut, then it probably is circa 1950's or later. The round brilliant cut transitioned from the european cut after the war, and diamonds didn't start being irradiated until late 40's - early 50's, with a big irradiated colored diamond "craze" in the 70's & 80's.

If the stone is a pretty color and a true SI2, the pricing seems reasonable. It is an ugly blue with eye visible inclusions, the price seems on the high side.

As far as trusting the appraisal, who knows? An appraisal is only as good as the person doing it.

If you make the sale contingent upon the ring appraising out to your satisfaction with an independent appraiser of your choice, with a right of return within a reasonable amount of time for ANY reason, you can't lose.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see a pic of it~!
naughty.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Me I love the irradiated blue stones as long as the color is a nice one. No idea about the appraised value being good or bad without seeing the stone, is the appraisal price the asking price, or is the asking price different?

Wink

This is my blue irradiated EightStar

winksblue1.jpg

simpotun

Rough_Rock
According to the store, this ring appraised for over 9k. Any other thoughts? Please help out a first time not-so-rich buyer! Thanks.

bludimond1.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
According to the store, this ring appraised for over 9k. Any other
thoughts?
-----------

If it was appraised for over 9k, that appraiser should be hung out to dry. Totally and complete nonsense. Ignore it completely, and just concentrate on how much they're asking for it.

Once you have it appraised, you'll know whether or not the jeweler is asking a fair price. If not, you'll have an idea how much to counter with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results