shape
carat
color
clarity

*CONSIDERING* a re-set! Opinions/advice welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you read that right.
12.gif
I am considering a reset for my center stone (AGS-0, 2.36 RB). And yes -- poor, sweet DH just rolls his eyes!!! (This is him:
20.gif
!)

Attached is a photo of my original set (shared-prong style from WF, e-ring w/ 3 pointers and w-ring with 5 pointers.)

It is beautiful and I really do still love it... buuuut, I wish the diamonds went further around the shank (more of a 3/4 eternity style) and I think I want smaller diamonds, so that the total width of each ring is no wider than 2mm. To most of the world those are probably silly/frivolous reasons for change, but I know you guys can totally understand!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I (think! I) want to keep the same general "style"... namely a thin row of sparkle, highlighted by my beautiful center stone. BUT, there is still so much VARIATION within that "theme"! And that''s where YOU GUYS come in!

Are there any similar styles I may be missing? What would YOU do differently if you could start again from "scratch"?

I will post some of the styles I am considering. All advice/suggestions/photos/etc., eagerly welcomed, please! Thanks!

Lynn
(Your Crazy Pal)
2.gif

My2rings.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hee hee i so knew it.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
There''s the Aramis setting...

WFAramissetting.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s bluejay''s Aramis setting, with a RB...

ARAMIS2byWF.JPG

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s Slammie''s beauty...
(although I doooon''t thiiiink I''m a pave-on-the-head kind of a girl... but who knows???!)
11.gif

Slammie 1.JPG

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
And while we are talking about fishtail pave, here's the #1 contender at this moment...
this is shucash's ring...

I LOVE this!!! I think it looks very Michael B-ish!

shucash WF ring.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 2:59:38 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 4/29/2006 2:58:26 PM
Author: Mara
hee hee i so knew it.

You BRAT!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
hah i just showed greg this post and told him about how you, me and Dem will have our room at the nursing home with our diamonds and all our hubbies would be long gone from having worked themselves into the ground to pay for our habits...and that we''d pool our diamonds and get one super big one like a 10c or something and then we''d take turns wearing it around the nursing home. then he said that we could be like those 3 witches in clash of the titans where they all have that big ''eye'' and share it...lol...do you remember that? and then the young guy perseus tries to come and take it from them and they were all ''my eye, my eye, gimme back my eye!''.

that totally cracked me up.
31.gif
anyway i can''t wait to help you spend some more $$ on a reset.
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s something I need to consider. I do not want ultra-delicate (*FRAGILE*) rings. I have to be able to wear then daily without undue worrying. I don''t wear my rings to garden, clean or work out, but otherwise, they are on my finger. I also want to be able to clean them at least weekly in the ultrasonic.

OK, everyone, whatdy''a think? What similar styles am I missing? Or do you have a completely "different" style/idea?

If I am going to do this, I must. Explore. All. Options.
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn,

To be very, very honest, your rings are very beautiful as they are! 5 pointers is not all that huge to go with a 2+ ct. solitaire. What you are looking at will visually be so slight a difference in appearance, that I really can''t see doing it! That is the bad thing about PS...we''ll always see something that we like a little better. I can see a total change in taste and needing to redo (like updating 80''s style rings or my 70''s YG!). But I just don''t see that 2mmm bands will be more desirable for your beautiful big diamond!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 3:08:18 PM

hah i just showed greg this post and told him about how you, me and Dem will have our room at the nursing home with our diamonds and all our hubbies would be long gone from having worked themselves into the ground to pay for our habits...and that we'd pool our diamonds and get one super big one like a 10c or something and then we'd take turns wearing it around the nursing home. then he said that we could be like those 3 witches in clash of the titans where they all have that big 'eye' and share it...lol...do you remember that? and then the young guy perseus tries to come and take it from them and they were all 'my eye, my eye, gimme back my eye!'.

that totally cracked me up.
31.gif
anyway i can't wait to help you spend some more $$ on a reset.
9.gif

I KNEW I could count on YOU, girlfriend!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
xoxoxo!
OK... so what would YOU do differently if you could start from *SCRATCH*???!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay here is my two cents. if you get something like fishtail pave or the micropave of the aramis etc can you use the ultrasonic? don''t think that WF recommends it for a daily basis. something to think about.

i also know what you mean about not wanting delicate rings. that''s totally my thing too, even if i wanted thinner bands or rings, i''d still have them 4 prong set like they are because i just can''t deal with having flimsy or delicate things on my hand. i am too clumsy and am always banging my hands around. nor do i want to worry about having to send the rings back to get stones checked or if they fall out etc. i just go locally and have that done. i wouldn''t want to ''void the warranty'' on a big $$ custom piece by having it checked out locally or modified.

anyway....what about the A Jaffe rings that are 1/2 way eternity (i know not QUITE what you wanted but maybe they can make something 3/4?)...i posted them previously. the melee are tiny and they are set pretty securely from what i can recall, rms has the set and so do a few others i can''t remember right now. they are also quite thin (2mm?) and affordable, aka i think $1100 per ring in platinum? you could even do 3 rings instead of 2 sometimes. just a thought.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn
you sure you want to go 2mm? b/c its really thin.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 3:13:23 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Lynn,

To be very, very honest, your rings are very beautiful as they are! 5 pointers is not all that huge to go with a 2+ ct. solitaire. What you are looking at will visually be so slight a difference in appearance, that I really can''t see doing it! That is the bad thing about PS...we''ll always see something that we like a little better. I can see a total change in taste and needing to redo (like updating 80''s style rings or my 70''s YG!). But I just don''t see that 2mmm bands will be more desirable for your beautiful big diamond!

DS,
Thanks for the note. Yes, I totally see your point, and honestly, the size of the melee is not the main thing at all. It''s mostly about the span of diamonds across the top of the rings. They just cover the top (very front) of my finger and with any movement or spinning, you can see the plain platinum part of the bands. And frequently, one ring spins left and one spins right, and there''s plat showing at each end. I do not want full eternity style. I am scared about the re-sizing issue. When my mother was just a little older than me she started getting some arthritis in her hands and her ring size changed a full size and a half! I am terrified of that happening to me, too! BUT, a 3/4 or so eternity would be a good "compromise" and greatly eliminate the spinning issue. And sooooo, since the current rings cannot be modified to add diamonds to the shank, I might as well "go for the gusto" while I''m at it. And thinner bands appeals to me!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i just thought of maybe another idea.

my friend loved this set at joe escobar...she is also considering having wf do it in platinum for her as the je pricing was pretty high. it's just basically milgrained eternity in a slight channel pave set style (both channel and bead set). could be modified for 3/4 and it was stunning on.. these are 2.4mm each or so but you could have them made with smaller stones. these are 3 pointers.

lastly, here is something to consider. my toe rings are set with 1 pointers. they are 2mm each. they are SUPER SUPER TINY AND THIN. too tiny and thin for me to even consider ever wearing something like that on my hand. it just would not work.

my w-ring is 2.3mm but it feels so much more substantial. i think your rings now are 2.3mm? i'd really think about whether or not going down to 2mm is a) smart and b) worthwhile. will it really be what you think you want?

milgrained eternity.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 3:15:55 PM
okay here is my two cents. if you get something like fishtail pave or the micropave of the aramis etc can you use the ultrasonic? don''t think that WF recommends it for a daily basis. something to think about.

i also know what you mean about not wanting delicate rings. that''s totally my thing too, even if i wanted thinner bands or rings, i''d still have them 4 prong set like they are because i just can''t deal with having flimsy or delicate things on my hand. i am too clumsy and am always banging my hands around. nor do i want to worry about having to send the rings back to get stones checked or if they fall out etc. i just go locally and have that done. i wouldn''t want to ''void the warranty'' on a big $$ custom piece by having it checked out locally or modified.

anyway....what about the A Jaffe rings that are 1/2 way eternity (i know not QUITE what you wanted but maybe they can make something 3/4?)...i posted them previously. the melee are tiny and they are set pretty securely from what i can recall, rms has the set and so do a few others i can''t remember right now. they are also quite thin (2mm?) and affordable, aka i think $1100 per ring in platinum? you could even do 3 rings instead of 2 sometimes. just a thought.

Mara,
I can''t find those photos. If you have them handy, can you please post them? Thank you!!!

DF,
Yeah, I know that 2mm is pretty thin... but not too very much more than what I already have. My 3 pointer ring is only 2.2 or 2.3 mm. And I''m not very big myself, so I think it will be OK!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s one...i tried them on locally and LOVED them...they are thin but substantial and they made the center stone look huge. i wonder if they could make them 3/4 for you at AJaffe?

ajaffe pave a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and another image that was floating around out there on the internet, i dont like the diamond here though!!

ajaffe pave c.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
It''s hard to imagine that there is such a significant difference between your 2mm toe rings and your 2.3 wedding ring. Hmmm, maybe I better look again at some of the 2mm ring-on-hand photos around here. Does anyone know of any or have any handy?

I do need somewhat "sturdy", I do NOT want to mess around with loose stones/stones falling out/etc. Argh. I would have to shoot myself!!!

I wonder if the fishtail pave style can be made with shared prongs???? I have never had any trouble with my shared-prong style.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Thanks for the photos. That first set you posted is lovely, but I don''t think I am a big fan of milgrain (for me), nor do I want 3-sided pave. The last one you posted is gorgeous! YUM-O!!! What style is THAT, do you think?

The A Jaffee set is beautiful, for sure. With that Euro-shank, though, I don''t think you''d really even need 3/4 eternity. Hmmm.

I also like the idea of maybe having a few of the diamonds slightly decrease in size as they get to the ends. But I don''t want the actual BAND to be any thinner, though, if at all possible. And I don''t think I want 3 bands. I am all about *THIN THIN THIN*! (When styles get chunkier again, then I can always add a 3rd band then! Haha, now there''s a plan!) Uh oh... here''s DH now...
39.gif
Poor guy.
12.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, a do-over...I LOVE a good do-over
36.gif
3.gif
2.gif

Mara has already posted some nice options. I''ll see if i can find anything as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn the last 2 posted are AJaffe's, same rings just different images. Good point about the euro shank not spinning.

The AJ's as they are I think have something like .15ctw of stones, so maybe we are talking ~1pointers, maybe 1.2s or something?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see what you choose. I saw this and was like what??
31.gif
Go for it!!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2006 3:06:19 PM

And while we are talking about fishtail pave, here's the #1 contender at this moment...
this is shucash's ring...

I would have brought that up if you didn't. The setting looks more wear-friendly than any of the other options for setting diamonds on the shank mentioned. And I would always prefer just about any type of setting for the center stone than a spliced-on peg... if given a choice. Sure enough, there is nothing objective about this - just a matter of personal choice.

These rings seem nicely put together.
5.gif
Wonder if the thin prongs do not need some support for a large stone (i.e. a side bar as the Ritani setting has'), but this is a technicality WF should advise you on. I cannot tell from a picture whether this is good judgement or just paranoia. I would ask for one, for the sake of daintier prongs though, and also ask for a subtle bezel (I think that 'side bar' is called that way, no relation with bezel settings), high on the prongs & close to the girdle of the stone ( Kristy ring makes case in point for this bit). Set close to the girdle, these are very discrete - and the tips of the prongs become allot less prone to getting snagged off that way... as far as I can tell.

Just a thought
38.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh lynn ana made me think, what about kayla''s ritani rings??? thin, makes the center stone look huge, wonder if they can do 3/4? but pricey i bet.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
this set is size 5 1/4 and could be sized a bit to fit you..i wonder if Bill would sell the set without the center stone?

029PO13.jpg

ETA: just realized you want thinner and the 3 bands probably won't give that look
37.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 3:53:58 PM
oh lynn ana made me think, what about kayla''s ritani rings??? thin, makes the center stone look huge, wonder if they can do 3/4? but pricey i bet.

Mara,
I am either too excited (or too *stooooopid!*) to find the link with Kayla''s rings. Can you post it for me, pretty please???!

Ana,
Good advice - thanks! I had considered that "bar" that goes across the girdle area of the stone, and didn''t know what it was called! Yes, when done "discreetly", I like that look very much!

Mrs. S and Kaleigh, thank you for the input! You guys are such *ENABLERS"!!!! And believe me, I say that with the utmost affection!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

xoxoxo
L

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Lynn,
After all the amazing bling yesterday, even I was thinking of changing my ring. It was a momentary lapse, but did have me thinking!!!
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 4:32:33 PM
Date: 4/29/2006 3:53:58 PM

Mara,

I am either too excited (or too *stooooopid!*) to find the link with Kayla''s rings. Can you post it for me, pretty please???!

L

I''m not mara, but here''s the
link to kayla''s Ritani rings.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, i had to add a picture
30.gif

127_2702%20(2).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results