shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused & Nervous.. need help selecting diamond/setting!

Daekwan

Rough_Rock
Morning PS'ers..

This is my first post. I found out about this forum while shopping for engagement rings on Costco's website. Thinking I'd found the perfect ring on Costco, I googled the rings name which pointed me here to the Pricescope forums where I found a wealth of knowledge. I've since changed course and am no longer looking at complete ring selections, and would like to choose a seperate diamond & setting. I'd like to stick to with PS-recommended vendors, as this is my first time buying any type of jewelry off of the internet and I want to deal with a reputable dealer who stands behind their product and promises. Finally I'm pretty set on what I'd like to get and how much I'm prepared to spend to get it. So here goes:

Total Budget: $5000 or less
Diamond: 1 carat Cushion cut
Setting head: Halo w/pave diamonds
Setting shank: Thin & elegant
Metal: Prefer white gold, but would upgrade to platinum is advised so
Ring size: Still trying to figure out how to measure it without her knowing lol

After shopping around a few of PS recommended vendors for the past month or so, I have settled on this combination. The price is right and it seems like the perfect combination. I've shown the combination to her best friend.. who advised me of my girlfriends 3 wants (Cushion, Pave, Halo) and her comments on this combination were "fabulous!!". She believes this is exactly the combination my girlfriend would want. While I have little doubts about the setting I've chosen.. I do have doubts about the diamond. I understand the basic 4C's.. but there is just so much variety and pricing when it comes to diamonds.. that I really dont know whats a "good" diamond and or not. I swear buying a house.. was easier than buying a diamond!

I'm pretty firm on sticking to the 1 carat range.. but can go up or down a little. I'm flexible on color as long as it appears white on her hand and in indoor/outdoor light. And i'm only concerned with clarity as far as naked eye can see. I guess cut would be most important, but even then I just want something that is as SPARKLY as possible.. because my GF loves the bling! :) Anyways here is the setting & diamond that I have picked:

Setting (+$212 18K white gold option) - http://www.since1910.com/scs1295-pave-diamond-halo-engagement-ring/

Diamond - http://www.since1910.com/diamond/1-01ct/i-vs1/cushion/cut/diamond/-r-31449-55698272

The price on the diamond almost seems to good to be true. Its clear, its white and its 1 carat. Only drawbacks I can tell is the fluorescence is a strong blue and the girdle is very thin to very thick. I'm hoping that doesn't matter, considering the setting that its going into. Because the girdle should not be exposed and the strong blue is supposedly white to the eye under most conditions.

Please advise if there is anything else I should be concerned about. Possibly other diamonds or settings I should consider. Other vendors I should be consider. And if this combination seems like a "good deal" or not.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

282356.jpg

pave-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-scs1295-1-c.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Confused & Nervous.. need help selecting diamond/setting

The setting is beautiful, wait for a cushion expert on that stone, it's still early in the day!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I see a lot of potential leakage under the table on that stone. Can 1910 get an ASET to you?

Daekwan

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1411492613|3755787 said:
I see a lot of potential leakage under the table on that stone. Can 1910 get an ASET to you?

Whats an ASET?

And what should I be looking for as far as leakage? Light getting through the setting? The stone not being seated properly in the setting? Im a little bit lost here on the terminology.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's an example of a nice cushion with great light return. You can see that it has an ASET image as one of the image choices. This image was taken on a white background, so white in the stone image is where leakage is. This stone has very little leakage. Some vendors take ASET images on black backgrounds, so in those you look for black. But white is the best and easiest to see.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12298/

Daekwan

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice.

I'll see if 1910 has an ASET image of the diamond in question. Is there is a reason why 1910 doesnt have ASET images of all its diamonds by default. Seems like a help metric for determining "bling" factor.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Daekwan

Rough_Rock

dawnxcui|1411507649|3755921 said:
have you checked jamesallen? i'm not in a position to pick out a "nice" diamond for you but i know they offer 360degree views of the diamond so you can get a better idea of how the rock will look.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/?CaratFrom=0.50&CaratTo=15.00&Color=D,F,G,E,I,H&Clarity=IF,VVS1,VVS2,VS1,VS2,SI1&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=5000&Sort=Price%20desc%20,DefaultOrder

I would prefer to buy from JamesAllen! They are local to me and only about 1 hour away. They also have alonger return policy and 360 view on diamonds seems like a great way to shop.

Unfortunately, they do not have the setting I want. And 1910 will only sell the setting I want, if you also purchase the center stone from them. So Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.. pun intended lol. Maybe I can email James Allen and see if they have a setting like the one from 1910 or can custom make it. I've searched their website for days though and its definitely not listed.

Daekwan

Rough_Rock
Re: Confused & Nervous.. need help cushion diamond/setting

Gypsy|1411521474|3756061 said:
Isn't this the setting you want? http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-pave-set-engagement-ring-cushion-center-item-18477

Plus this one allows for a flush fit wedding band.

It looks a different in the first picture. The gaps between the pave diamonds are black and too defined. But in the 2nd and continuous pictures.. it does look the same. There are differences underneath the "basket" area though. This one uses 2-prongs to support the center stone & halo.. the one I really want uses 4-prongs. I believe the 4 prongs are stronger and look better. I also like that the other one had cuts/designs around the side edges of the shank. Yes they will be hard to view when the ring is worn on her finger, but it still adds to the design.

I've sent JA customer service a picture of the setting I want. I'm hoping they can do some type of custom fabrication to make that ring. The original setting I chose is absolutely perfect in my eyes. Has everything she will want.

Upon 2nd look.. I do like that the 2-prong JA ring lets more light in underneath the ring. I'm assuming that will make the center stone reflect much more light. Is that correct?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results