shape
carat
color
clarity

Completely lost on diamond buying!

lindsayd

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've trolled here for awhile but am just now posting. The boyfriend and I went shopping for a ring over the weekend and stopped at Shane Company. After reading here, I'm wary of our purchase. We haven't gotten the wrong yet, but ended up with a 1.2 Asscher with H color and VS2 clarity. We did spend a lot of time looking at the diamond through the loupe, but I'm still unsure because I feel like I was just SHOWN lots of diamonds but don't know a ton about them still. I am also interested in the Round Brilliant. Their upgrade policy is undeniable, but I wonder what the catch is. I also don't like I had to email them to ask for the certification/specs for the diamond.

Anyway, I had been also trolling James Allen for awhile but became nervous about the online aspect. It seems you PS folks are well acquainted, so I'd like to hear about what you think about JA. I'm mainly nervous about that because it might be costly or complicated to get regular servicing.

In short, I'm lost and starting to get a little upset! I keep thinking I find what I like but am so afraid of getting screwed over that I'm getting paralyzed. I am going to visit some local places tomorrow, but am starting to feel unsure about the diamond buying process.

Help!

Thanks!

ETA: Also, is there a disadvantage to keeping the setting and getting the diamond elsewhere? Does that affect warranties? I don't want to have to run around to 2 different places.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The catches are many fold. There are many companies with great upgrade policies.

Asschers and rounds are very different.

When does your full return policy run out?

lindsayd

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

Thank you so much for your reply. Love the cat picture!

Asschers and rounds ARE different. I always liked asschers because of their rarity and vintage appeal, but I played with some rounds in a vintage setting (this is what I currently have: http://www.shaneco.com/detail/vintage-cathedral-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring-with-pave-setting/41055810/?O=SB&SZ=6.50) and they were surprisingly gorgeous. Also there are more available.

I haev 60 days to return it, and I just got it so plenty of time. Their policy is kind of insane (dollar for dollar), but that leads me to believe they are still getting profit due to the diamond quality. I am thinking of keeping my setting and going with JA for the diamond, but the online aspect makes me nervous. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again!

-Clueless Diamond Buyer

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many vendors will give you dollar for dollar upgrade policies. That's just of the definition of an upgrade policy.

You are really believing Shane Co's advertising, huh?

First step might be getting you a bit un-brainwashed.

Start up at the knowledge tab at the top of the screen.

lindsayd

Rough_Rock
Dang, those Shane ads have seeped into my brain over the years.

I will likely go with JA at this point, but if you have any advice on the online buying process I'd welcome it gratefully. Thanks!

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
You will be fine with James Allen. I purchased a diamond from them a few years ago, and it didn't work out. It was extremely easy to return and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. I purchased a signature Brian Gavin diamond earlier this year, and I was very pleased with their online buying process as well. That diamond worked out. I initially had it set at Shane Co. in a setting I had purchased from Shane Co. a few years earlier. The first time Shane Co. set that diamond, the diamond was set crooked. They did an adjustment to straighten the diamond. A few weeks later I got out my loupe to check out the diamond, and two of the prongs weren't even holding the diamond, and a third prong was problematic. My experience with Shane Co. is that initially the store warranty sounds great. But when you have to repeatedly go back to get problems fixed and they never really get fixed, I feel it is better to even pay more but get things done right the first time. I won't list out all the problems I've had with Shane Co, but trust me I've made many attempts to get diamonds set in their setting and rings sized, and nothing has been done right. I've never seriously pursued purchasing a diamond from them, as I had certain diamond specifications I wanted, and they couldn't or wouldn't produce a diamond with those specifications for me. If you could find both the diamond and setting from the same vendor, such as JA, I think that would be ideal.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a emerald cut diamond from JA that had to be exchanged and it couldn't have gone smoother. I have made three total transactions with them and never had a problem.

lindsayd

Rough_Rock
Cricketcat,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. My thought was if I absolutely could NOT do without the Shane Co. setting I would have JA set it for me. But I think ideally I want the diamond and setting from the same place for simplicity's sake if nothing else. I'm waiting on my Shane Co. one to be set, so I'll have it home Monday and can at least look it over. I did buy a loupe tool so I'm glad to hear that was useful to you.

I am going to a local jeweler today to look at some Verragio and Danhov settings. Any experience there?

Thanks again!

lindsayd

Rough_Rock
Aprilbaby,

I'm an April baby too! The 20th!

I'm glad you here you had an awesome experience. This makes me feel a lot better. I know buying diamonds online is a somewhat newer process so I get a lot of raised eyebrows when I bring up that I might do that. However, my belief is buying in a store doesn't make it any safer or more guaranteed!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to chime in and say that I loooove Danhov settings. They are so beautiful (but quite pricey)! Good luck with your search :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results