shape
carat
color
clarity

Combining two rings to one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of designing a ring that will replace my old set, I am incorporating my old center and possibly baguettes into my new ring while adding several other stones, the tcw will be around 3.5
31.gif

My question is, has anyone switched from two rings to one? for me it seems more simple to combine the two to one biggie. One sales woman (at a jeweler that I am not using) told me "You do realize it''s going to look like an e-ring right?". I guess ultimately I don''t care if someone thinks that lol! I''ve been married for 12.5 years, I''m just curious if anyone else has done it?
Thanks
28.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Well, how big is your center diamond? I like having the option of wearing my e-ring or just the w-band. Especially if you have a larger center diamond. Mine is 2 carats and you just don''t always want to wear something like that but you still want to have something on your left ring finger to show you are married.

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
I don''t have just one ring, but I have two wedding bands - one for each side of my ering and I had all three soldered together for the look and feel of one ring. It is obvious though that it''s not just an ering. I like the idea though...if you''ve been married that long and it wouldn''t bother you I say go for it!
-Grace

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d totally go for it! You keep all of your old diamonds and get a brand new-- bigger
31.gif
-- ring out of it. Sounds like a win, win to me.

Would love details on your rings... and to hear your setting ideas. Such FUN!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Gypsy -- we must have more details!
1.gif
Sounds like this is gonna be a heckuva blingy ring!

I went from wearing an e-ring with w-band to just my 3-stone ring alone on my ring finger. I do get the "when''s the wedding?" question once in awhile (mostly from jewelers while I''m out window-shopping) but that may be because I still look like a kid. However, I LOVE how my 3-stone ring looks on its own. It just doesn''t lend itself well to being paired with a w-band. I say do whatever your little heart desires!
1.gif

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
Details: the center stone is a 1.73 I, SI2, the two sides are .81 and .75ish since my original .81 is deep it actually looks smaller than the weight. The three stones across will have baguettes on each side if they fit, I''ll know tomorrow when I see the wax model. I also plan on having small 1.5 pts embedded into the basket to give it additional sparkle. I have some crude pictures I created in photoshop to get an idea of what I''m looking for.

ringwithoutbaguettes.jpg

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
Here''s the one with the baguettes but not the small points in the basket, also this is going to be done in platinum, comfort band not tapered.

Also, I do have my old wedding band that I can wear when I don''t want to wear this one, it''s just a simple channel in white gold.

sheilaring.jpg

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
I realize this might be going a little overboard with diamond elements, but I''m not the simple tiffany type, I like a little flash but not too gody....I''m a little nervous can you tell? I want something unique I just hope it works out in the end.

I am a fine artist (painter) and it drives me nuts when I do commissions and the client wants too many elements in the painting, I fear I might be doing the same here but I don''t want to give up the elements if I don''t have to. I feel like since it''s replacing my set I can go a little more....
18.gif

Thanks for the responses, it''s nice to know you ladies understand :)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK - so you totally didn''t ask .. but I have to speak up. BAG THE BAGS. One of my best friends did an e-ring reset in platinum & tried to "use up" the stones from her original set & the "added on" stones look like afterthoughts ... not "intrinsic" to the design.

This is gonna be such a gorgeous WHOPPER of a blingy three-stone extravaganza ... why "add on" with baguettes that don''t tie in with anything else on the ring???

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
Hi Deco,
well I started out by falling in love with a three stone ring w/baguettes...that is what inspired this design, so I am not simply trying to use them up but I have to admit that the three stones in the setting I originally saw were much smaller. I assume that by looking at the wax model I should be able to tell if the bags will fit on the top of my finger. If they are buried under the sides I can eliminate them. I must admit I am a bit uncertain, I appreciate your comments.

If I decide against them is it easy to fix the wax model to change it? this is my first time doing such a thing.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Many years ago I went from wearing a diamond solitaire ring and wedding band to just one ring that used my old diamond and added side stones. Now I am wearing a three stone ring all by itself and I don''t think the design lends itself to adding another ring. I think the ring you are considering is very pretty and I would have no problem wearing it alone. I do think with the size of diamonds you are using you are probably going to find the baguettes hidden down the sides though.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I only wear one ring, a three-stone. And this is actually my second three-stone. My first one was all rounds (1.51 center, .70 & .71 sides). Now I wear a 3.29 center round w/ .75 tcw trills on the sides.

I have been married for 16-1/2 years. It CLEARLY does not look like an e-ring. NO ONE has ever mistaken for one, either!

I do not miss not have a "set" on my finger, as I have never been comfortable with two rings, they annoy me for some reason.

While someone could realistically receive the ring you are making as their e-ring, it does NOT have the "look" of an e-ring!

Go for it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is one SERIOUSLY blingy project in the works. You want baguettes and diamonds in the basket and a three stone! Go for it. The only person you have to please is yourself.

While I understand your frustration with clients wanting too much in one project because the whole package doesn''t appeal to you, the artist-- in the end if the client is happy with the piece .. eh, it''s not going to hang on your wall (for example). Same with this ring. You love it. It''s your ring... GO FOR IT!

Personally I just wanna see this sucker when it''s done *rubs hands in glee* I love these projects.

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, thanks for the words of encouragment! I will be sure to post some pictures when this project is done. Tomorrow I will see the wax model and then I will get a better idea of how it will look. Your right about the fact that I shouldn''t worry about pleasing anyone but myself since it''s my creation. I''ve never done anything like this before not to mention in this dollar amount, it''s a bit nerve racking.... I really don''t want to make a mistake.

My jeweler is very nice and when I mentioned doing away with the bags she was the one that encouraged me to go for it and keep them in. I must admit, I love baguettes! but then again I LOVE diamonds! It''s even more important that the ring be comfortable so if they don''t fit my hand properly I will leave them out, but since they are on the shorter side (chunky), if they fit I will leave them in, at least I think that''s the way I am going to go.
19.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2006 9:20:51 PM
Author: Rosierock
Gypsy, thanks for the words of encouragment! I will be sure to post some pictures when this project is done. Tomorrow I will see the wax model and then I will get a better idea of how it will look. Your right about the fact that I shouldn''t worry about pleasing anyone but myself since it''s my creation. I''ve never done anything like this before not to mention in this dollar amount, it''s a bit nerve racking.... I really don''t want to make a mistake.

My jeweler is very nice and when I mentioned doing away with the bags she was the one that encouraged me to go for it and keep them in. I must admit, I love baguettes! but then again I LOVE diamonds! It''s even more important that the ring be comfortable so if they don''t fit my hand properly I will leave them out, but since they are on the shorter side (chunky), if they fit I will leave them in, at least I think that''s the way I am going to go.
19.gif

You''re welcome! Don''t mention it. I am after all getting to live vicariously through your project...
31.gif

I love settings... and I haven''t seen any RB three stones with baguettes so I think it''s great that your going for it. And I like diamonds in the basket too... so throw them all together and well... it''s going to be a picture to add top my secret stash of ring styles!

I can totally understand about the $$. WHEN I get to it, I am resetting my diamond in a setting that-- with the help of many notable PSers-- I ''made up'' myself. As it''s a complicated and labour intesive setting-- and therefore expensive-- I frequently get worried about the project and think about alternatives or changes to the design. But ultimately, I will probably go for it as is... biting my nails to the quick as it''s being done.

And if it doesn''t do all that I want it to do... and I want another re-set down the road. WELL, I''ll the first experience under my belt. Rings are rocks and metal.The diamonds will endure no matter what setting (within reason) I put them in-- and the metal... for me it''s fluid.... And nothing with the settings are set in stone... as it were.

Rosierock

Rough_Rock
Well I saw the wax model last night and I have decided to keep the baguettes. I think it''s going to work out fine, the big difference to my crude rendition is that the actual ring will have tapered baguettes, two side by side (total of 4) tapering slightly to a bar. In my picture they are heavy and chunky, I don''t believe they will look like an after thought at all, they fall right before the crease in my fingers. I also learned they are going to use approx. 2pt. diamonds on the basket which I think is the largest they can go.

So now the excruciating part! it will be ready in 10 days! I also dropped off my old wedding band, wg channel and my inherited set traditional platinum 1.34 center w/side bags and matching wedding ring all to have appraised and serviced. So I am completely ring-less! and feeling quite bare.

After trying on the wax, I don''t think the combinging of the two rings to one will be an issue, like you ladies have noted, I don''t think it will look like an engagement ring and with the design being such as it is, it will be a stand alone ring
31.gif

Thanks again!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t wear just one ring (yet), but I think you should go for it. I am ''sort of'' going to do that. I have a YG wedding set, and I''m having my original e-diamond reset into a white setting which I plan to wear alone. Much of the time it might be on my right hand, with the wedding set on the left, but sometimes I might want to just wear it on the left. I don''t really care if it looks "engagement-y", and I agree with all those who said a 3 stone such as you''re considering will be fine stand-alone. Even when I was just engaged, I actually never got the "when''s the wedding?" comments. Plus I know quite a few women who had their e-diamond incorporated into a ring as an anniversary thing, and just wear it alone on the left hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results