shape
carat
color
clarity

Colorless Gems vs. Colored Gems..., conflict concerns

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I cant help noticing the fact that Diamond industry took its conflict issue much more seriously than the colored gem industry...

I have been hearing US (and perhaps other world) politicians calling out for a boycott on Burmese/Myanmar Gems..., but have not seen any initiations coming out of the colored gem industry itself!
I have not heard any human or rights organizations making waves or trying to connect "blood" onto Rubies, Sapphires or any other minerals coming out of Burma...

In fact..., all I keep reading is how gem dealers from all over the world freely purchase, export/import these "conflict" gems from the government funded Auctions!

Just a small article: http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=20342

Titled: Myanmar Gem Auction Generates Sales Despite Calls for Boycott

I salute the Diamond industry for addressing its conflict issue the way they did and still are..., even though I think its on a much smaller scale than other conflict issues need addressing!
31.gif
27.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, I didn''t know that.

I would think the diamond industry was more apt to move on it, as diamonds and diamond issues are more in the public eye/press/media than colored stones. Not acting on conflict issues would/might turn people off which equals, of course, big money.

Thanks for this important info.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
DG, funny that you mention this right now because there was a thread someone put up regarding Burmese Imperial Jade on the colored gemstones forum recently. I was commenting that the OP of that thread wasn't acknowledging that the revenue of most jade coming out of the Burmese jade mines (or any other gems coming out of Burma for that matter) simply lines the pockets of the top layer of the junta as well as going for funding the junta's armed forces that keep the population "under control" so to speak. I've been working in Burma twice this time of year, when that auction takes place. It's quite interesting (I went the day after the auctions and all the rough boulders were laying about in the parking lot with their owners info on them but rough jade looks pretty "rough", it's amazing anyone would buy it in that state and know what they were getting!) but you also have to take with a grain of salt, the numbers of "foreign buyers" that are reported by the New Light of Myanmar (the junta's official mouthpiece and only legal newspaper in Burma right now, totally centered on promoting the junta's "principals"). The fact remains that the vast majority of buyers are coming to Burma from China, sadly but not surprisingly. There are other buyers from other Asian countries and you will likely find buyers from Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. But you will find very few buyers - at least that's what I found - from the USA, EU or Australia, mainly due to embargoes and bans on Myanmar.

That said, a point was brought up in the jade thread I referenced above and the OP there explained that she was buying Burmese jade not from the junta-sponsored auctions, but rather, directly from a family that funneled supplies to her. When I questioned her about it she said that she felt that this family was living on the edge and the money she paid them was keeping them alive. Now, having worked close to the mine areas, I know that there is no way that gem quality Imperial jade is slipping through the mine officials hands unnoticed so it's more than likely that this family is paying off other officials to get their hands on such high grade jade. It's a slippery slope because if this OP is indeed keeping this family alive by providing a steady income to them, then who's to say buying jade this particular way is so wrong. Let me explain it another way...I was working in Yangon a few years ago for an international organization that specializes in working with children's rights and issues. My little unit was on a different floor than the rest of the office and on our floor there was office renovations going on. I noticed that there were a couple of boys working hard labor - hauling cement and debris back and forth - and I started talking to them when I could. One said that he is not in school but his parents cant find work and he is the only one bringing in money into his household. I was stymied that this was going on under the nose of an internationally recognized "children's" organization so I had a talk with one of the higher ups about the situation. The conversation basically concluded with neither of us knowing what the 'right thing' was to do in this situation. If we report this, the boy will likely be fired and his family will suffer even more. If we say nothing, but give him books to take home, and make sure he's getting a decent lunch, etc., then perhaps at least we're helping him to continue bringing money into the home while giving him the option of reading when he can. My point is, in situations like this, the answers aren't always so clear cut. Yes, I abhore the Myanmar junta and would never support them or buy their jade, but IF someone is buying under the table, and that buying is directly helping/supporting families in dire need, is it still 'wrong' to do? I suppose the same thing can be said for blood diamonds...If you're buying directly from someone desperately in need (and by 'desperately' I mean desperate in a way you and I will never be), and the money goes directly into his pocket/household, are we doing a dis-service by cutting such people off entirely?

I'm not suggesting one way is the right way and one way is the wrong way, just that it's not always as clear cut as we'd like to think it is.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I also suspect that with the De Beers consortium still controlling nearly 50% of the world''s diamonds in one respect or another, it''s quite a bit easier to implement a policy where the diamond industry seems to speak with "one voice."

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not comparing personal situations..., there are sad stories all over the place...

One thing I personally have noticed..., the media and all the human organizations jumped on the "blood Diamond" wagon and made a huge sensation out of it...

While I have not noticed or heard any in regards to Burmese "blood Gems"...

Just weird no?

I guess there are no personal interested parties with personal agenda''s on that issue as there is in Diamonds...
31.gif
27.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2008 1:39:20 PM
Author: Hest88
I also suspect that with the De Beers consortium still controlling nearly 50% of the world''s diamonds in one respect or another, it''s quite a bit easier to implement a policy where the diamond industry seems to speak with ''one voice.''
Good point..., but...

...if DeBeers hands were always claimed/identified as "clean" in regards to "Blood Diamonds"..., and they control a majority of the worlds rough Diamond output..., means to me that DeBeers never worried to much on this subject...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2008 10:23:59 PM
Author: zhuzhu

Date: 1/21/2008 6:25:51 PM
Author: denverappraiser
And what about pigeon blood rubies? Where are the animal rights activists?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

ROFL....LMAF.......
26.gif
See what I mean? There is no action..., no media..., no interests!!!
35.gif

I love pigeon blood red Rubies...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
also in the US gemstones are considered too come from where they are cut not where they are mined.
Which is how they are getting around the import ban on them.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2008 4:36:43 PM
Author: strmrdr
also in the US gemstones are considered too come from where they are cut not where they are mined.
Which is how they are getting around the import ban on them.
Yep..., only when it comes to Diamonds it doesnt matter..., even conflict free Diamonds are sometimes suspect to "blood stains"
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results