shape
carat
color
clarity

Color sensitivity

tannet

Shiny_Rock
With all the wealth of information on this forum, my bf and I were able to choose a beautiful diamond from BGD. We received it a few days ago and it is truly stunning! I haven't figured out how to take pics of diamonds yet, so I'm sorry to say that I don't have any pictures to share. However, if you'd like to see BGD's shots and the specs, here's the link:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047809033

The main reason for posting this thread is to find out if any of you have noticed your color sensitivity grow over time. When I did a color test for myself, I was okay with going down to a J. In fact, when I first picked up the BGD diamond we purchased, I didn't notice any tinting except for when I looked at it head on from the side. However, after spending a few days admiring it and looking at it critically, I find myself noticing the yellow tint more and more. At first I thought it was the yellowish lights in my house because I always get home from work after sundown, but when I looked at it in cloudy daylight this morning, I still noticed the tint. The diamond is absolutely beautiful and faces up completely white, but even at slight angles I can detect the ever so slight yellow tint.

Am I being paranoid? Will it not be so obvious once the stone is set in BGD's Tiffany platinum 6 prong setting? Am I able to see more of the tint because it is loose? I don't know what to do. If my color sensitivity has grown over a matter of days, will I hate the color months or years from now? I know I will always have the upgrade option with BGD, but I want this to be my forever e-ring. If we return this diamond, we will have to wait until Feb at the earliest if we want to go up in color. I'm so torn.... :(

Has anyone else become more color sensitive after a while? If so, what did you do? What were your initial thoughts of your diamond and how has it evolved?

P.S. Thank you to everyone who helped in my research. You guys are all awesome!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your color sensitivity may go down after the stone is set and you can't see it from all angles. Then again, you already know it has some tint so in your mind is that going to be bothering you and are you going to be looking for it? Can you afford right now to trade up to a higher color? Better to trade up now before it is set if you think the mind will play tricks on you! I had an I colored pear that bothered me about a week after I got it, but it was not well cut and the color really started to bother me. My daughter in law has an I RB that has much better cut and I can't see any color at all. I think Cut really has more to do with color than any other factor. If you trust your mind, set it and see what happens!

Envyme

Shiny_Rock
Great topic! Thanks for asking about this as I am slightly worried with my situation (see post with pics called opinions on cushion). I am looking at a 1.72 J VS1 H&A exc cut & symmetry...I am torn because face up - it's stunning-beyond what I could hope for BUT there is the slightest tint of yellow I see. I am in the same boat- go smaller and higher color like an "H" 1.53 cushion or I can go to a similar stone 1.5 RB. Or, wait to save more money -not what I really want to do BUT I will have this ring forever and I don't want to regret it later...

I saw an "I" next to the "J" and I decided so far (not purchased yet) that the cost to go up one in color was not worth it as I can still see a slight yellow in the "I" stone.

What may help is going to a local store and having them show you some H, I, & J stones...see what you think when you see the 3 together. You may re-think everything after that. You may decide that what you really want is an "H" or you may decide that it's not worth it to you to go to an "I" and you stick with the "J".

I am thinking if I go with the "J" I will have to find a setting that camouflages the lower part of the stone - which means a solitaire will not work for me...I would have to go with a halo or a different style setting so I don't see the very slight yellow tint at all.

The other thing you may do is take your stone to a local jewelry store and look at it in different settings. See what may help you feel better about the stone. You may decide an increase in color is a better idea. It's so personal I guess.

I have no clue yet what I am going to do but the last thing I want is to look at this every day and say DARN this is yellow!!! I will say inclusions bother me 10000 times more then a "J" color does.

Good luck with your decision and don't rush things too much...you have to love your ring. I know I feel like I am a nut because it's like I want exc cut, symmetry, and polish, colorless, 1.72 C. & VS1 for X price which isn't going to happen so something has to give...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My color sensitivity has gone up over time. I have an I and a J, and I'm starting to see the tint in both. The J is a pendant so it doesn't bother me much, but the I is my engagement ring, and I'm thinking of upgrading because of it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that is a beautiful diamond. you notice the color, but does it bother you? and what would bother you more, a noticeable tint or a noticeably smaller stone? ultimately you have to get something YOU are comfortable with and that is different for everyone

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Once the diamond is set you shouldn't notice the yellowish tint so much...the platinum setting will make it look whiter. And if you opt for a yellow gold setting it's going to match very nicely with the warmth of the stone.

So unless it really worries you to know about the color of your stone now that you've seen it loose, you should keep it!

Just my 2 cent though...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
My new 1.308ct AGS 'I' (GIA 'J') is set in WG, it has actually a brown/orangey, but nothing yellow.
The tint is obvious, even if under some lighting conditions, the stone looks icy white.
I don't care about it, I think 'D' diamonds look fake.
If you can't live with any tint, you shouldn't buy anything under G color but you would lose a lot of size!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I've grown more color sensitive over time. I have an ideal-cut I color. It is white in nearly all lighting conditions and I can't see the side because it's in a halo. So the only time I can see color in it is if I compare it side-by-side to higher color diamonds. It doesn't bother me, most of the time, but when I upgrade my stone, I will be looking at H and above colors. I'd prefer to spend my money on color over clarity.

Each person will have a different answer for you based on their eyesight/preferences. So it's really comes down to your feelings now tht you've lived with the stone for a while. You are wise to think about how much the color bothers you and what you're willing to compromise on (for me it would be clarity) to get a higher color stone before the stone is set.

I do think that if the color bothers you often, and in more than one lighting condition, and if you are looking more at the color of the stone than the beauty of the stone, that you may want to think about trading up to a G. You should be enjoying the beauty of your stone, and if you're not, it may not be the stone for you.

tannet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input. If I am looking at the diamond face up, it doesn't bother me at all since it faces up white and beautifully. I guess my concern is what other people might notice. I would hate for family or friends to see it and think to themselves, "eew, her diamond may be big (in comparison to what they usually see), but it's yellow." I know it's my opinion that matters the most, and if it's not easily noticeable once it's set, then it likely will not bother me. The diamond really is beautiful! I was awe-struck when I first saw it in direct sunlight. And under the Christmas lights it just danced with sparkles. Knowing that it has some tint is okay with me. I initially chose a J stone knowing it would have some tint so I can have something larger. Do you think the general population (non-PSer) would notice the slight tint in a J?

I happened to be walking by a jewelry store at the mall while Christmas shopping today and decided to stop in. They sell the HoF line and I asked to see stones of varying colors. The lady I spoke with said they didn't have any loose ones but she pulled out a D, E and H from the display case which were set in halos for me to compare. I actually could barely tell the difference between the three of them, even with the halos. This surprised me and made me feel a little better, but then again, H is less tinted than a J.

I'm thinking maybe I should have it set (especially after what Frenchcut said about platinum settings) and see how I feel about it. I would really hate for my bf to spend more money for something that is barely noticeable. We wouldn't downgrade in size...we would wait a couple months until we have the budget for the difference in cost. But like you all mentioned, it's a big jump to upgrade to a H (even if we drop to SI-something), which is what we were considering, and that difference in cost could be spent on so many other necessities in life. Maybe it's obvious, but I'm a practical person and if it doesn't make sense to spend more money, then I'd rather he didn't.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I've said this before but if I cared about "white" diamonds (and I don't) the only thing I wouldn't get is a K. YMMV, of course.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have a G graded diamond set in a platinum halo setting. I think the halo setting can bring out the color in a stone. In my setting, the G looks completely colorless. I don't tend to see the color difference as much in a smaller stone, such as a pendant or earrings, but in my engagement ring, I notice everything!

ETA: I am not suggesting that you should purchase a G graded diamond. I just wanted to give you my experience with a halo setting. I have no doubt that other people may have had different experiences with a halo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't matter what anyone else's color comfort zone is.
Mine if F, but who cares?

If color bugs you now it will bug you later, maybe unless you put it into a full bezel where you cannot see much of a side view.
If you are not happy with it and are within the exchange period then exchange it.
If BGD does not have anything you want to exchange it for get a refund and go elsewhere.

You should be HAPPY with your diamond.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1292743269|2800810 said:

If color bugs you now it will bug you later, maybe unless you put it into a full bezel where you cannot see much of a side view.
If you are not happy with it and are within the exchange period then exchange it.
If BGD does not have anything you want to exchange it for get a refund and go elsewhere.

Kenny said it perfectly.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
tannet|1292741751|2800799 said:
I initially chose a J stone knowing it would have some tint so I can have something larger. Do you think the general population (non-PSer) would notice the slight tint in a J?
I have a BGD 1.56ct.
I receive compliments daily on it.
When I tell people it's yellow (I love yellow, I tell that because I don't want the people think I'm stupid and I didn't know my stone was yellow), they look like they don't understand what I'm saying.
I'm pretty sure, without a D-E-F color next to it, 99% only notice it's beautiful.
But then some people are color sensitive: last week, I showed my new I color to my sister and told her it is whiter than the 1.56ct.
She looked at it and she answered 'yet it is not white!'.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I have found over time that I have become less color sensitive so I am the opposite. I have diamonds in many different colors and I think they are all beautiful. I would go with your heart and what is right for you. Everyone has a different tolerance towards color.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I don't think you should puchase a J stone expecting it to be blindingly white. My BGD J def shows a yellow tint and I've complimented it with the unplated white gold setting. I like the tint. I expected the colour.

If you want it to look white from all angles, plus you don't want other more colour sensitive people to think it's tinted in any way, I think G and above is safest. I can see tint in a F stone from the side, though I am sensitive to colour, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's all about what YOU feel comfortable with. You won't be able to wish away a tint that bothers you, so be very clear in your head that your expectations are realistic. Remember, all our opinions and perceptions are completely subjective, but there is a reason why D/E/F stones are in the colourless range: it's coz they are more colourless to the eye (ok I mean broadly, not technically)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for terms like tolerance or color sensitivity.
It reinforces the idea that color in a diamond is a bad thing, which is not inherently true.

If all colors from D-Z were equally available from nature and identically priced I'll bet the psychology would shift.
Only then would we find out what body color people truly prefer in diamonds.

The gal who just liked the R would be proud to show her stone to the gal who just liked the E.
Color would be like shape is today, purely preference.

I suspect much of demand for the beginning of the alphabet is the result of rarity and high price of the most colorless stones.
I confess to wanting what's rare and expensive.
Heck even the person lusting after the real diamond with the least expensive specs could still be called a s n o b because they want a real diamond.

If I was a person who preferred warmer diamonds, as I believe Imdanny has stated, I'd be offended by terms like tolerance and color sensitivity. (You mean he's insensitive?)
It's not that Imdanny has lower standards; actually he's fortunate to prefer what does not cost as much.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1292743269|2800810 said:

totally agree with Kenny. If it bothers you now- you know there is a tint and it will prob be in the back of your ming later. I have a D RB 1.55 stone and I love the icy white color. I think I have grown color sensitive over time- and exposure to a D stone, now when I see others I easily notice a color difference. What really matters if if that color you see if a problem for you. Many people see a tint of color and embrace it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed.

I think people who do not buy Ds fall into one of a few camps:

1. They don't even notice the color (so why pay for the more expensive color grades?)
2. They do notice color, do not prefer it but they accept it's presence because it allows a larger stone (or improves the other Cs) for their budget
3. They notice the color and they prefer it

Ae there other camps you can think of?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1292774437|2800938 said:
I don't care for terms like tolerance or color sensitivity.
It reinforces the idea that color in a diamond is a bad thing, which is not inherently true.

If all colors from D-Z were equally available from nature and identically priced I'll bet the psychology would shift.
Only then would we find out what body color people truly prefer in diamonds.

The gal who just liked the R would be proud to show her stone to the gal who just liked the E.
Color would be like shape is today, purely preference.

I suspect much of demand for the beginning of the alphabet is the result of rarity and high price of the most colorless stones.
I confess to wanting what's rare and expensive.
Heck even the person lusting after the real diamond with the least expensive specs could still be called a s n o b because they want a real diamond.

If I was a person who preferred warmer diamonds, as I believe Imdanny has stated, I'd be offended by terms like tolerance and color sensitivity. (You mean he's insensitive?)
It's not that Imdanny has lower standards; actually he's fortunate to prefer what does not cost as much.

I use the phrase "colour sensitive" to describe a person who can easily detect tint in a diamond. I am colour sensitive and when I say this, PS regulars know what I mean. The phrase doesn't have a negative connotation to me, but may have for others. Unless other descriptive terms come into common use, I will continue to use this. Just wanted to clear this up. I don't prefer Ds as they don't look good on my skin tone IMO.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1292773614|2800928 said:
I don't think you should puchase a J stone expecting it to be blindingly white. My BGD J def shows a yellow tint and I've complimented it with the unplated white gold setting. I like the tint. I expected the colour.

If you want it to look white from all angles, plus you don't want other more colour sensitive people to think it's tinted in any way, I think G and above is safest. I can see tint in a F stone from the side, though I am sensitive to colour, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's all about what YOU feel comfortable with. You won't be able to wish away a tint that bothers you, so be very clear in your head that your expectations are realistic. Remember, all our opinions and perceptions are completely subjective, but there is a reason why D/E/F stones are in the colourless range: it's coz they are more colourless to the eye (ok I mean broadly, not technically)

Rosetta~I think this is a good response to the OP's concerns. I also like the idea of setting the stone in unplated white gold. There are many viable options. Another setting idea could be a bezel or bezel halo. The sides won't be visible at all, depending upon the design. I think it's best, if possible, to see how the diamond would look in a particular setting prior to making a decision.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yeah- it's not unusual to see a small amount of tint in a J, especially if it's loose, and viewed from the side. Do you care? I have both an M and an N color antique cut diamonds that I wear and I can see color in them. Does it bother me? Nah. A J would be just fine with me. But you're the one that has to live with it day to day, of course.

Does it bug you enough to spend more money? Or get a smaller stone? You're probably the only person who's going to scrutinize it enough to notice color.

Also, FYI, body color in diamonds pops out like you wouldn't believe in very overcast daylight. It's the absolute least flattering light on earth for looking at lower colored diamonds IMO. My M color OEC faces up very, very white and the color is only extremely noticeable in overcast days if I'm outside. In most other lights, it's white. So it isn't your imagination that the visibility of the body color in your stone changes according to the lighting.

Go to Costco or Home Depot and check out your diamond. That light's amazing for how white it makes diamonds appear and how sparkly- usually you get one or the other but not both... and it's kinda fun :naughty:

ETA: In terms of other people's perception. First of all, nobody's gonna be rude enough to say, OMG look at that hideous yellow eyesore! If they're ridiculous enough to think it, you'll seriously never know. And second of all, the general public knows squat about diamonds. They might possibly know that D is the whitest color, but most don't know how clarity is graded. And many, many people equate high color with sparkle, so if your stone is sparkly they automatically assume it's a really white stone. Silly, yes- but I've had many, many people ask if my OEC is a D for that reason- even though it's M and you really can see a bit of color face up. So if you're worrying about the general public's reaction to a beautifully cut J? Don't. Seriously. It's whether or not *you* like the color that matters at all.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find that if I scrutinize and look critically at my diamond -- any of the ones I have owned -- I can find a flaw in it ;)) Same rule applies to people and diamonds, and neither is a good thing for your repective relationships. Look for flaws and ye shall find. A little ignorance and rose tinted glasses is always a good thing.

If you get a higher color will you regret the money spent? Or the drop in size? Or the inclusions?

I have owned F, G, J, and K color stones. My favourite is the biggest one 8)

I also bet that if you have an H you will see "tint" in the same lighting where you notice it in your J. If you really do not want to see a hint of warmth, then you need to stick to G and above.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1292785113|2801062 said:
ETA: In terms of other people's perception. First of all, nobody's gonna be rude enough to say, OMG look at that hideous yellow eyesore! If they're ridiculous enough to think it, you'll seriously never know. And second of all, the general public knows squat about diamonds. They might possibly know that D is the whitest color, but most don't know how clarity is graded. And many, many people equate high color with sparkle, so if your stone is sparkly they automatically assume it's a really white stone. Silly, yes- but I've had many, many people ask if my OEC is a D for that reason- even though it's M and you really can see a bit of color face up. So if you're worrying about the general public's reaction to a beautifully cut J? Don't. Seriously. It's whether or not *you* like the color that matters at all.

Absofrigginlutely ::)

tannet

Shiny_Rock
All your insight has been very very helpful. Here's the tricky part...my bf also doesn't like the yellow tint. We had a long conversation about it this morning over breakfast. I would be happy with keeping the J stone we purchased and having it set. The slight tint is not noticeable to me face up and the mildness of it from the side view doesn't bother me now. I just don't know if it will bother be in the future (that was my main concern). My bf says the yellow tint just puts a bad taste in his mouth. His description was..."it looks like we took this beautiful and expensive diamond, dipped it in our strong italian roast coffee and forever stained it...like a tooth." LOL...yes, it's a little harsh but I guess he can detect the color much more easily than I can. He thinks it's worth it to pay more for a H, I don't. He can't accept the beauty of the diamond without criticizing its color. In the end, I think I will go with what he prefers because it is his money and if I were not involved in the diamond purchase, that is probably what he would have chosen in the first place. I also don't want him to look at my ringed hand later and feel annoyed that I was stubborn about the whole thing. It's kind of silly, isn't it, that I am even considering turning down an upgrade...LOL. I guess I'll be on the hunt again. Hopefully BGD replenishes their stock before Valentine's day!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
tannet|1292792208|2801142 said:
All your insight has been very very helpful. Here's the tricky part...my bf also doesn't like the yellow tint. We had a long conversation about it this morning over breakfast. I would be happy with keeping the J stone we purchased and having it set. The slight tint is not noticeable to me face up and the mildness of it from the side view doesn't bother me now. I just don't know if it will bother be in the future (that was my main concern). My bf says the yellow tint just puts a bad taste in his mouth. His description was..."it looks like we took this beautiful and expensive diamond, dipped it in our strong italian roast coffee and forever stained it...like a tooth." LOL...yes, it's a little harsh but I guess he can detect the color much more easily than I can. He thinks it's worth it to pay more for a H, I don't. He can't accept the beauty of the diamond without criticizing its color. In the end, I think I will go with what he prefers because it is his money and if I were not involved in the diamond purchase, that is probably what he would have chosen in the first place. I also don't want him to look at my ringed hand later and feel annoyed that I was stubborn about the whole thing. It's kind of silly, isn't it, that I am even considering turning down an upgrade...LOL. I guess I'll be on the hunt again. Hopefully BGD replenishes their stock before Valentine's day!
Good call, then, for sure, to swap for a higher color. Yeah, you want your future husband happy with the purchase too. When I was looking at settings (which was what my husband cared about, really, not the stone) I vetoed a lot of things I would have loved, if he wasn't on board too. Hope you find just the perfect thing!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I was happy to read that you and your bf talked this over and reached a decision. An H is two color grades higher than a J -- I believe you will notice a difference. But to be on the safe side, when you talk to Brian and Lesley, ask them for an H that's on the higher end of the H grade.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I still think to be happy you need at least a G to get a truly colorles look. And I also bet you will see the same "tint" in a higher color stone too. The extremity of what your bf is describing sounds a lot more like environment than diamond body color to me.

What about asking BGD to send you an H loose so you can compare?

tannet

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D said:

I still think to be happy you need at least a G to get a truly colorles look. And I also bet you will see the same "tint" in a higher color stone too. The extremity of what your bf is describing sounds a lot more like environment than diamond body color to me.

What about asking BGD to send you an H loose so you can compare?

Dreamer: Would they do that without us sending payment for the H? We definitely don't have the funds to temporarily pay for a second stone! If that is possible though, then that is a great idea!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I think diamonds are like buying a pair of shoes....if they don't feel good when you try them on, they are not likely to get much better after you wear them.

Same with diamonds...if you notice the yellow tint now and it bothers you, it is probably going to bother you more as time goes on.

Just my own experience and my own personal opinion. :wink2:

MyDiamondSparkles

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results