shape
carat
color
clarity

Classic Tiffany 6 prong setting -OR- Rose Bud Style - Tacori setting for a 3 carat diamond engagemen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I think my title says it all....

What do you like better... The classic 6 prong Tiffany setting or the very deorative Rosebud Tacori setting for an engagement ring and wedding band? Anyone have photos of their traditional 6 prong and or Tacori.

She has a size 6 finger...I am purchasing a 3 carat diamond to put on top!

I am hoping to get all of this done within the next couple of months so I can propose to her in her favorite log cabin in Lake Tahoe - It''s the same place where we spent our first vacation together when we knew we were for each other.

Thank you to anyone who can offer help/suggestions.

Pete

P.S. I promise, promise to send a "ring on hand" shot after the big moment!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hands down plain setting.

And didn't you say in another post that she wants a plain setting! Listen to the gal.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
What is her taste in jewelry? Does she like to wear ornate, detailed items? I have a preference for simple, elegant and classic, so I would vote for the tiffany style setting. She is one lucky lady! Can't wait to see the pics!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As I mentioned in my post on the other thread, definitely visit www.superbcert.com and www.niceice.com so you can view two exceptional replicas of the authentic Tiffany & Co famous 6-prong solitaire mounting in platinum. I have researched this in depth as I almost went with that for my 3.29 round before I decided on going with a three-stone ring, and they both have the best mountings of the type you are looking for. I'd hate to see this spectacular, VS clarity, E color 3+ carat ring mounted in a cheapo 6 prong knock-off.

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/7/2004 8:28:23 PM moremoremore wrote:

Hands down plain setting.

And didn't you say in another post that she wants a plain setting! Listen to the gal.
----------------

intricate setting!

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

hahaha, here we go again MMM--the clash of the plain vs. the ornate!

1.gif
2.gif
9.gif

no but seriously pete, don't listen to me, i'm in the minority--i don't like plain settings. most do however--AND if she said she wants plain, then your a$$ better get plain!
2.gif
plus, with a 3 carat plus stone, the tacori might be "too too", you know what i mean? simple tiffany would be gorgeous. hey, either way it's gonna be gorgeous . . .

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this on your other thread asking about plain vs. Tacori...

Since she has now stated a preference for the less ornate, I would go with that. You asked in the other thread what about if she gets bored with it? Well, IMO it is much easier (and more cost effective) to get what she wants now (plain and less expensive), and if she gets bored, upgrade to fancy (and very expensive).

If you got her fancy now, and she wasn't happy, or got bored, then you would have to trade out an expensive ring for either another expensive one or for a less expensive plain one.

Seems to me you have less of a chance of losing alot of investment in the first scenario.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I truly like reena's setting (but that is a Leon, so it's different from Tacori), but generally, I am not the biggest Tacori fan--too ornate, too busy for such a large diamond. With a 3 ct stone, it needs to be the star. It might require legwork, but perhaps there is a happy medium between Tacori and a plain Tiffany.

I know a couple of people with Tacori settings and they have already had issues with those little stones falling out.
confused.gif

I hope no one is offended--all diamond rings given with love are beautiful...but when pressed for an opinion, from what I've seen in my personal experience, Tacori isn't the end-all-and-be-all it's cracked up to be.
1.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I am a girl who said "I like plain settings". I don't wear much jewelery anyway.

So I got a plain tiffany style setting - HOWEVER, hopefully tomorrow my TACORI rosebud will be in!

I decided to switch the setting!!! Even though rosebud is intricate - from normal distances it's actually delicate and beautiful. Most of that setting you see in stores has a 1 carat cz in it. At 3 carats... I think that setting will be a beautiful compliment to a 3 carat stone.

I will say... even though at first I did (and still do ) like the simplicity of a solitare setting - when I started looking for wedding bands to match - I found the "same ole thing" that goes with it. Tacori definately has a style and look to it - that looks great paired with the matching band.

My suggestion - if you really feel unsure - is that you get the simple band and let her select the "setting" she'd like.

Or - if you want to WOW her - the tacori will!

PS - sizing on tacori rosebud is going to be tricky -- so if you know her size - then fine...but if you are in anyway guessing - HOLD OFF until you can get the right size - because of the details along the side of the ring - you will need to send it back to tacori for sizing (a few week wait...)

Good Luck!

reena

Ideal_Rock
okay, how about a compromise? this is my current fave for people who have a nice big gorgeous RB that they want to be the focus of the ring, but who also want something a little "spicier" than a plain platinum setting. i hope lsmathis doesn't mind that i am pretty much stalking her gorgeous e-ring--i post this puppy all the time. (if you want more details you can search for her name under SMTR):

It.jpg

i am loving that--especially how the teensy band makes the center stone look huge. another favorite (by michael b at www.pearlmansjewelers.com; there's also a thinner one-sided pave version of this i think). i saw someone wearing this ring (or else one almost exactly like it) at a restaurant on my recent trip to san diego (i only mention cause it's your general area) and i almost choked on my cajun chicken sandwich.

03P18.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/7/2004 10:20:03 PM laney wrote:

Tacori definately has a style and look to it ...
Good Luck!----------------

Right on! And not everyone may prefer the Tacori. You need to ascertain better what you think she really wants. I think getting the expensive Tacori is risky if she is hinting on a less ornate style. I also really like Lmathis' ring that Reena posted as a beautiful example of a compromise between plain and ornate.
1.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
1...i would go plain tiffany band to show off a honker like that..

2...a log cabin in Tahoe..in winter sounds soooooooooooo romantic! i love it!

hehehe.. good luck!
appl.gif
love.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't see the problem here. She said she wants plain. She gets plain.
rodent.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/8/2004 11:29:08 AM moremoremore wrote:

I don't see the problem here. She said she wants plain. She gets plain.
rodent.gif

----------------
yeah you better listen to the woman and get her what she wants . . . or else you won't be gettin' what you want for a very looooong time . . .
rodent.gif
2.gif
rodent.gif

Kylie

Rough_Rock
I personally love Tacori but if she requested plain the Tacori may be too ornate for her taste.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your advice, opinions, and personal experiences. I am leaning towards the Tiffany setting since we are planning to have babies in the year or two years after we marry. I am thinking if she still wants the Tacori setting then -- I'll purchase as a gift of our 1st child.

Does anyone know where I can find a REALLY nice "Tiffany-like" 6 prong setting in plantinum. We stopped at Bailey, Banks, and Biddle - just to see their 6 prong settings and found one we like, but wondering if there's something better online or another store. Any suggestions?

She is a beautiful girl... makes my heart melt every time I get a glimpse of her....I hope the research for this ring will be worth it!

Thank you again,

Pete

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Okay, from another prospective, I LOVE ornate settings BUT, when I tried on a Tacori, it was WAAAAY to busy for me. Many settings look gorgeous in photographs, but look entirely different when wearing.

The first of two rings Reena posted (diamond with small meele diamonds around the band) is pretty and elegant. It IS a great compromise. If you can't decide, it'd make more sense to pick a simple band that your GF can later have reset into a ring of her choice.

Good luck deciding.

Edited to add: you responded around the same time as I was typing this.
9.gif
Both www.supercert.com and www.niceice.com have beautiful tiffany replica settings. GORGEOUS and elegant.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a classic Tiffany style 6 prong setting that they can show a ring on finger photo with? I'd like to see how it looks on someone's hand. She is worried it will be too plain, but also worried that the Tacori will be too busy.

I am still thinking she wants the 6 prong (plain) style so help me out here. If there's a photo you can send -- please do!

Thanks,

Pete

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Is knife edge an option for me or regualar Tiffany style better? I am looking on niceice.com right now... they have lots to look at... almost too much!

Thanks,

Pete

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is all hope lost for the rose bud ring... or one of the like ?
4.gif

flowerjewels.JPG

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have my 3 c set low w/ side elongated baguettes. It's plain but w/ a little umph. Other than that I would vote plain since she expressed plain.

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
i'd say go tiffany-style plain. then she can get an eternity style w-band with however many diamonds she wants on it
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Pete,

You are SUCH a sweetheart! I wish you and your wonderful girl a lifetime of happiness!

Now... back to the ring...
2.gif
maybe something to think about would be considering a jazzier HEAD for the stone??? A thin, simple, classic platinum band, but perhaps with a split prong head to hold that big beautiful diamond???! Personally, I LOVE that look.

Just another thought!
1.gif

Lynn

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a late vote for the Tacori... since she mentioned liking the Rosebud to you. If my taste ran to Tacoris, which it does (
2.gif
), I would be a little disappointed with a plain six-prong.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope! Hope you stick around for the fun.
2.gif

A 3 ct stone doesn't need any help from a setting. I'd go for the "plain" 6 prong. Something else to consider if you are willing to spend on the Tacori, is maybe a nice custom setting with heart prongs by Mark Morrell. He can make a simple setting look absolutely stunning. Leon Mege also does a nice job with prongs. I'm sure he can come up with something fabulous in a very simple way.

Here are a couple of considerations:
1) While she may get tired of the plain setting down the line, she could always set it into something more decorative in the future. IOW, you can go forward with a plain setting, but it would be really hard to go back (down scale) with something as ornate as a Tacori.

2) A very simple setting for a 3 ct stone would look soooooo classic with a very nice (and more "done up") wedding band.

3) If she wants a plain band, you best consider her wants. Marriage is forever. It's so much simpler if you have a smooth start by really listening to her.
9.gif

Meanwhile I encourage you to take a look at the Show Me The Ring thread. Lots of great ideas there. Resources galore. All the best, let us know how it goes.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
What is a "split prong setting" and where can I see a photo of one?

Thanks again for all of your help -- very, very useful!

Pete

reena

Ideal_Rock
here are some examples. the first two are from www.artofplatinum.com. the third is kayla's ring, which was done by art of platinum.

r016-01W.jpg

r011-01W.jpg

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Good morning Reena,

Thanks for the examples... I really like the second shot from the website one and Kayla's ring as well.

The setting from "artofplatinum.com" -- Is it expensive and if so what range? Also is that a RB in the setting shown? AND one more thing...What type of wedding band will fit perfectly with that style of ring?

Hope you are doing well,

Pete

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/10/2004 12:12:40 PM Heiny10 wrote:

Good morning Reena,

Thanks for the examples... I really like the second shot from the website one and Kayla's ring as well.

The setting from 'artofplatinum.com' -- Is it expensive and if so what range? Also is that a RB in the setting shown? AND one more thing...What type of wedding band will fit perfectly with that style of ring?

Hope you are doing well,

Pete

----------------

hi pete, art of platinum does custom pieces so they may be a little more expensive than a stock piece you'd see somewhere . . . but i am having my e-ring setting done there and, considering the excellent quality of the workmanship, i found the prices to be quite reasonable. kayla can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe she said her setting was in the $1k range. that price might go up if you were to add sidestones or pave or the like, but still i think that's extremely reasonable. the best thing to do is to surf around on that site and get an idea of the styles you like, and then just call leon mege (the designer) up directly and ask him for a quote. he's a really nice guy. (i'd call not e-mail tho, you'll get a quicker response.)

i believe that the second and third settings both contain RBs. as far as a wedding band fitting next to the ring i'm not sure, it really depends how high off the finger the stone sits, i would imagine. leon can answer that question for you. also perhaps kayla will chime in on that.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results