shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Vs. Actual "clearness"

JeraVae

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to know what you guys think about this topic. If Si3 is eye clean, but maybe has some clouds under the table that you can see with mag, does that affect the brilliance at all? Will it sparkle less because inclusions are in the way even if they are too microscopic to see?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Clarity Vs. Actual "clearess"

The problem you face is that SI3 is not an accepted grade, by GIA or AGSL standards.
If you're looking at stones with EGL reports, the grade is questionable, to say the least.
Hopefully the seller showing you such stones will let you know that the report is sub-standard

JeraVae

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I know that an SI3 would be an I1 for GIAs standards, but it could still be eye clean. Is that why they grade it I1, because it affects performance?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're welcome!
With EGL anything is possible- even I2.

I really don;t like the word "performance" when it comes to the way a diamond looks.....
But to answer: Some GIA graded I1 diamonds are virtually identical to other stones with much higher clarity grades.

These type of I1 diamonds are hard to find- but they do exist.
If the imperfection is easy to see, then we could say that it will impact the stone's visual aspects.
I'm a car buff- and the word "performance" seems to be much more appropriate in that field.....

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
I think the short answer is, yes it is possible to find an eye clean I1 stone, although very hard to come by as David mentioned. I don't think clarity has a lot of impact on brilliance. The cut is what determine brilliance.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think sometimes large clouds in I clarity stones can have an impact on brilliance. Can you take the stone to an independent appraiser?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results