carat
color
clarity

Choosing between two pre-owned diamonds

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

I am very new to this and would appreciate your help.
I am looking to find a stone. Due to the budget limitations (Eur 2000) I am looking at the pre- owned stones.
Currently I have two options offered to me.

Option 1
Diamond 0.98 vsi2 / j / strong fluorescence (currently set in a yellow gold ring)
6,42/6,39/3,90
Fluo highlights the white without getting hazy in sunlight but turn slightly milky under stong UV Lamp

Option 2
Diamond 0,969 vsi1 / i
I have requested the measurements for this one, but have not got them yet
I was told, that this stone have slightly larger table than it should

Both stones are not certified. I should mention, that this is very common in continental Europe (9 out of 10 stones are sold uncertified).
Both are sold through a well- known consignment reseller and graded in-house. The appraiser who graded them is known to grade according to GIA standards, thus it is probable to be true.

There is a two-week return time, so that I would be able to verify the purchase by my appraiser. However I can only get one stone shipped, thus need to choose.

I will post the photos available.
I would appreciate your opinions on my options

_5296.jpg

_5297.jpg

_5298.jpg

_5299.jpg

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamond 2

I hope it is possible to recognize something from the photos.

Thank you

_5300.jpg

_5301.jpg

_5302.jpg

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion.

Well, that stone is a K/I1 which seems quite a step down from i-j/vs to me. Besides seller is shipping to US only.
All in all, I do not think I would fancy the size over quality that much

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just realized that I have forgotten to state a question: how would you expect a larger table affect the light reflection if the stone?
Thank you

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one is not very good. I think you are likely to see a difference between it and an ideal cut.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I personally like smaller tables....There are some stones that are 60/60 (60 table and depth), that are beautiful, but it really depends on the person.

I would put this on hold ASAP and ask how visible that feather is. I honestly couldn't notice it until I looked at the report, but the numbers a really good.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.86-carat-h-color-i1-clarity-sku-207722

JA also offers PS members a discount, so you should ask about that too.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your opinion. I also had not such a good gut feeling about the second stone, though the first one still intrigues me due to the fluo.
Do the measurements of the stone look normal for it's carat weight?

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1365619702|3424162 said:
I'd maybe look into this one too. It's a K, but has fuorescence which is nice because it can help the stone look more white (so more like a J)...And I'd ask about the inclusions and if you like it ask for an idealscope on this too:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.85-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-198303

Would you expect aint fluorescence already have such an effect on colour? I thought one only gets it in medium to strong fluo stones

Thank you

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you need medium and up to make it look whiter, but a K in a yellow gold setting is going to look pretty white. Not as white as a colorless stone if you compare them side by side, but still white.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Dizzie|1365620104|3424166 said:
04diamond<3|1365619702|3424162 said:
I'd maybe look into this one too. It's a K, but has fuorescence which is nice because it can help the stone look more white (so more like a J)...And I'd ask about the inclusions and if you like it ask for an idealscope on this too:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.85-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-198303

Would you expect aint fluorescence already have such an effect on colour? I thought one only gets it in medium to strong fluo stones

Thank you

Well, as you can see from the video, it faces up pretty white! I'd at least put it on hold, talk to the gemologist about the clarity and see what the idealscope image looks like. Same with the other stone I posted ( I prefer that one if the feather isn't a deal breaker).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results