shape
carat
color
clarity

chip or interior inclusion (@corner)?

casador

Rough_Rock
Good morning,
I'm reaching out because I'm under some stress. I found a nice AGS diamond on pricescope and ordered the diamond through B2C jewels. 0.80 SI1, I color, very good cut (http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6256690-0.80-carat-Princess-diamond-I-color-SI1-clarity.aspx) I ordered the diamond last Wed and they called me yesterday to let me know their gemologist discovered that it was chipped in the corner. He said it likely occurred I transit or while at the vendor. This chip is not mentioned on the AGS certificate. I was not happy because I was planning on proposing this weekend! I spoke to a manager and he said he would investigate further and call me back. Hours later, another person calls back and said that it is actually an internal inclusion and there is nothing to worry about. He said the prongs will cover it.

Can a geologist really make a mistake like that (mistake an inclusion for a chip?) Should I be concerned? B2C seems like a reputable company, but I'm very upset with what's going on here. Any recommendations?? Thanks very much

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I pulled up the AGS report and the clarity plot does show something in three of the corners - two opposing corners appear to have a cavity and a feather, and the 3rd corner also with a feather - frankly, in a princess, that is more than enough to put me off this particular diamond - http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104072268006-PLDQR.PDF

casador

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. Why would it put you off? Does this make the diamond more susceptible to being damaged?

They told me that they wouldn't sell me a diamond that wasn't a great diamond, but this is fishy.

casador

Rough_Rock
Does anybody else want to chime in? Should I cancel this order and wait, based on this certificate?

The certificate they sent me was a copy and showed no where near the same detail as the one posted here!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Princess cuts are notorious for chipped corners because of the sharp pointy corners so with that in mind, I would pass on this stone because of the feathers near the corners. :blackeye:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Casador,

I’m just seeing this (will investigate) but my first impression is the stone-setter saw one of the indented naturals and mistook it for a chip. Any gemologist will tell you, they look very similar. Thus the second call is accurate, it’s an external characteristic of the finished diamond he saw.

With that said, I too am concerned by the nature and placement of the inclusions. I’ve put in a call and will seek more information for you.

casador

Rough_Rock
Thanks hawk. I want to be reassured that none of the inclusions or feathers reach the surface of the diamond. I'm hoping B2C would have enough sense not to sell me a brittle diamond that is susceptible to chipping. If this is a big deal, how did it get a very good AGS cut rating and an SI1 clarity?

113957.jpg

stock__6256690.jpg

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks hawk. I want to be reassured that none of the inclusions or feathers reach the surface of the diamond. I'm hoping B2C would have enough sense not to sell me a brittle diamond that is susceptible to chipping. If this is a big deal, how did it get a very good AGS cut rating and an SI1 clarity?

You’re right. Durability concerns are reflected in the clarity grade (relative to these inclusions) as well as cut-grade (when it comes to angles). Just as important, do remember that a plot is merely a map. The inclusions and blemishes are not drawn to scale. I’ve been told, internally, that these are so minute that they’re no concern. But I am still chasing this down more - as anyone with a gemological-head would be inclined to take a close look.

While we’re at it, princess durability depends as much on the skill of the setter as anything else. If the seats are cut evenly so pressure is distributed properly those tips can be protected. But if the setter cuts the seats in a manner so that the diamond corners are under-pressure after it’s set that’s a big problem, and it’s a problem for any princess regardless of inclusions/blemishes or even chamfering.

In fact it’s a good time to reiterate that ANY princess is subject to chipping if the corner sustains an impact, especially if poorly set. That’s why jewelry-insurance is a good idea.

Diamond2014

Rough_Rock
casador,

I am a fan of Blue Nile hence I'm not defending B2CJewels here. But from your post, you seem to throw all the blame at B2CJewels. I find that extremely unfair.

You're getting an SI1 for god sake, if you're looking for perfection then get a VVS2 or VVS1 or IF or FL. You're the buyer so YOU have to do the due diligence of the product you're trying to buy. Looking at the AGS Certificate, I can OBVIOUSLY see that three corners has Indented Natural and Cavity. If you don't know what those are,t hen look it up. One corner even have have a HUGE feather around it, if the diamond bang against something, that corner with the feather will break off first.

YOU are the one that is doing the purchase, and especially when you're looking at SI1 and SI2, you should know better than throwing the blame at B2CJewels. They are a vendor that has all kind of products for all kind of people for all kind of prices for all walk of life. They never claimed to have only D FL in their whole inventory! From your statement, it seem like you are saying that you're buying from B2CJewels, that you expect everything as perfect. DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE!

What your post just did is ruining their reputation that they work so hard to build, because you're playing blind ???
It's like me buying a cordless drill made by Craftsman but purchased at Walmart, and when the Craftsman cordless drill doesn't work right, I blame it on Walmart, that sound right to you?

casador

Rough_Rock
Diamond2014, thanks for your insight. First off, your clearly affiliated with B2C, and that's obvious. Don't try to hide that. I'm not striving for perfection, I just want an eye-clean diamond. I'm not blaming anyone, just stating my experience.

Secondly, I AM doing my due diligence. What do you think I'm doing by posting on this forum? I'm simply trying to gain some insight on diamond inclusions and their potential impacts on the structure of a princess cut. The certificate can only tell you so much. When buying online, you have to rely on, and trust, the seller to some extent.

I was initially told, by the vendor, that the diamond was beautifully eye clean and ready to go. Then I get a call that the diamond had a chip in the corner, 5 days after I made the order. Then, the next day, I get a call that the "chip" was only an "internal natural."

This is my first time buying a diamond, and I want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off here. This will be one of the largest purchases I'lI ever make. I've been assured that the diamond has been set and has nice brilliance and scintillation. I'll receive it tomorrow. Hopefully she approves......

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Casador,

First of all - thank you for the due diligence you have, indeed, put in concerning this diamond. I can assure you that I am the only representative affiliated with B2C who posts on this forum. I was, in fact, in the middle of composing the post below when your latest post arrived.

--Post I was composing:

To Diamond2014, the support is appreciated. However, in Casador’s defense, we were the ones who created his concerns. During the stonesetter’s inspection he mistook an indented natural for a chip and, per QC policy, he escalated it. The mistake here was that no one consulted the grading report before calling Casador. The delivery-timing of the job is the reason the rep decided to call him immediately. But after further review it’s not a chip. It’s an indented natural, it correctly appears on the report and there is not a durability issue.

So I fully understand the post, as anyone who hears the diamond they bought has an undocumented “chip” surely has a right to be concerned. And while (ironically) our internal quality-control is what actually caused the “false alarm,” I would prefer we over-scrutinize.

Meanwhile, in the interest of customer comfort, I’ve gathered all relevant information and will be speaking to Casador today.

casador

Rough_Rock
UPDATE...I received the ring yesterday and it looks great! B2C was genuinely concerned and made everything right. Packaging was inconspicuous and the diamond looks amazing in the setting. Their sales personnel were always responsive and answered all my questions within minutes. I'm very happy and would recommend B2C to anyone.

20141220_074604.jpg

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
YAY :appl: I am glad B2C got to the bottom of things and figured it out. What great customer service :clap: . The ring looks beautiful. :love: Please post more photos

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No he/she didn't - see the highlighted.

Diamond_Hawk|1418937729|3803800 said:
Casador,

First of all - thank you for the due diligence you have, indeed, put in concerning this diamond. I can assure you that I am the only representative affiliated with B2C who posts on this forum. I was, in fact, in the middle of composing the post below when your latest post arrived.

--Post I was composing:

To Diamond2014, the support is appreciated. However, in Casador’s defense, we were the ones who created his concerns. During the stonesetter’s inspection he mistook an indented natural for a chip and, per QC policy, he escalated it. The mistake here was that no one consulted the grading report before calling Casador. The delivery-timing of the job is the reason the rep decided to call him immediately. But after further review it’s not a chip. It’s an indented natural, it correctly appears on the report and there is not a durability issue.

So I fully understand the post, as anyone who hears the diamond they bought has an undocumented “chip” surely has a right to be concerned. And while (ironically) our internal quality-control is what actually caused the “false alarm,” I would prefer we over-scrutinize.

Meanwhile, in the interest of customer comfort, I’ve gathered all relevant information and will be speaking to Casador today.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results