shape
carat
color
clarity

Center stone color if going with halo or pave on the shank

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking at two diamonds, one is a H & A N 2.73 without flourescense, the other a GOG AVR L 2.72 with very strong flourescence. If I were going to halo or go with pave on the shank, which do you think would flow better? What if I want an eternity band with either at some point. I went for size at this point in life so I don't mind the color in either one. The L with very strong flourescence is much whiter appearing than the N without. Both are BEAUTIFUl stones and I am having a very hard time deciding. Maybe this aspect can help sway my decision.

Thoughts please :?:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Re: Center stone color if going with halo or pave on the sha

bright ice said:
I am looking at two diamonds, one is a H & A N 2.73 without flourescense, the other a GOG AVR L 2.72 with very strong flourescence. If I were going to halo or go with pave on the shank, which do you think would flow better? What if I want an eternity band with either at some point. I went for size at this point in life so I don't mind the color in either one. The L with strong flourescence is much whiter appearing the the N without. Both are BEAUTIFUl stones and I am having a very hard time deciding. Maybe this aspect can help sway my decision.

Thoughts please :?:

Hi, Bright Ice :wavey: You have a fun decision to make! Here are my thoughts as a former M color stone owner and as a current owner of a stone with strong blue flouro:

I love the look of the "mid-tone" stones (M, N, O, P) with bright, white melee. I think that is such a wonderful look that is sophisticated yet kind of artsy and unusual. The nice thing about the H&A stone, especially a large diamond like the N, is it will not get "lost" in the setting; it will still be the star even with the very bright melee. If you want an eternity band at some point, I'd stick with bright, white stones, to keep the contrast with the N very distinct. If you're going that low in color, it should really be the focal point, in my opinion.

I also love the look of colored stones (sapphires, fancy color diamonds) with lower color stones (obviously -- no surprise there!). And if I were to go with a larger, lower color stone for an upgrade, I'd consider using high karat yellow gold and blue sapphires with an L, M, N,or O stone -- again, to emphasize the lower color of the H&A stone. I've also seen some rings on PS that pair lower color diamonds with pink diamonds and rose gold and the combination is stunning.

Again, I think the strong flash, contrast, brilliance and scintillation found in a large H&A stone can hold its own with a halo set with super white melee or colored stones.

For the AVC with fluoro, it's been my experience with my 1 carat I color H&A with fluoro that the fluoro makes the stone significantly whiter in some lights. But in other lighting conditions, my I color is a warm white. It's my guess that the bigger facets and the bigger carat weight of the AVC only emphasize this effect of the fluoro -- so this is a very "changeable" stone. Again, you could go with super white melee to emphasize the difference in colors between the center stone and the halo stones, and super white stones for the eternity band -- if you want to stick with diamonds. However, I don't think the effect will be as dramatic as it would be with the H&A N, simply because of the bolder, chunkier flash and the whitening effects of the fluoro in the AVC. If it were me, I'd consider fancy color diamond or sapphires to halo this stone -- I think it will be a softer look that will flatter the softer shape and the changeable color of the stone. And I'd get an eternity band with lower color OEC's or OMC's.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Portree

You have some good suggestions. At this point I need to make a decision between the two stones, then I can move forward.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock

I absolutely LOVE the warmer tones starting around the L range on down. Do you want to accentuate warmth or do you want to try to blend? Personally I would get the N colored stone and embrace the beautiful warmth by setting it in either yellow or pink gold prongs.

The L sounds like it might be more of a "chameleon" effect of sorts. Obviously not a true one, but if the color changes due to the lighting that in itself is cool.

I'm not a fan myself of RB, so obviously my choice would probably be the AVC. To me you are looking at two types of stones. I think you need to decide on the style (vintage vs modern) and go from there. Both colors are awesome IMO. And in general I would embrace the more warmth and go with high colored melee to make it look even more dramatic.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for your thoughts.

Both stones are round, so really comparing the different type cuts. The August Vintage Round is a remake of the OEC but without a culet.

I really like the warmth about the N. With the H&A so much dispersion going on.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I also find N color quite appealing, more than L to be honest. I would not halo either though. It is a personal preference thing, but I do not like the contrast between diamond colors unless it is a very noticable contrast, like fnacy yellow and coloress for example.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

i like the idea of yellow melee :) :) :)

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock

bright ice said:

Both stones are round, so really comparing the different type cuts. The August Vintage Round is a remake of the OEC but without a culet.

Gack, I am tired and kept writing AVC instead of AVR (I think I did it after seeing in the previous post). I also forgot to say that I don't like modern RB, not vintage rounds. In my eyes we are dealing with two totally different cuts. One is vintage feel and one is modern. That's what I was meaning. Sorry....

I personally disagree with Dreamer_d on the colors like that next to high colored melee halos. I think it brings in a big contrast especially if set properly. But it's a personal preference. I see a lot of color in an N for example and I have seen wonderful examples of stones in that range set in yellow or pink gold and turned out significantly warmer than imaginable. I know my stone looks even more yellow set in YG.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

bright ice said:

Oh, that's right -- you're looking at the AVR not the AVC. I have a definite preference for the H&A N color -- mostly because I like the snap-crackle-pop look of the Infinity stones (the amazing dispersion as you noted), and I think it is a stone that offers a wider range of setting choices because it will not be overwhelmed by even an elaborate setting, like a halo. I think it would also look incredible in a high carat gold bezel -- have you seen Coatmundi's setting in the Timeless Classics forum? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-lovers-please-sign-in.113724/. The photos of her ring are near the end of the thread.

But if you decide on the AVR, I'd suggest looking for a vintage style setting (such as the Jewels by Erica Grace settings, like the Sophie and the Julia) to flatter the cut and the more subtle play of light and chunkier flash. I just don't think a halo will compliment the AVR. The thread I linked above will give you lots of ideas for setting the AVR -- there are some great photos in there.

ETA: I just read clgwli's post, and agree with what she said about yellow gold enhancing the color -- even if it's just the prongs.

Daniel S.

Rough_Rock

clgwli said:
I see a lot of color in an N for example.. I know my stone looks even more yellow set in YG.

Would you say that N is far enough down the color range so that you see color when looking at the stone from all angles even if it is idealy cut or would a color in the Y-Z range be necessary to see color from all angles?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just want to thank all who posted with your opinions helping me make my decision.
I chose the N color.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

bright ice said:
Just want to thank all who posted with your opinions helping me make my decision.
I chose the N color.

Woo-hoo! :appl: It's a beauty! I will miss admiring it on the HPD website, but I'm so glad it went to a good home. Can't wait to see how you set it.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I will eagerly await photos! I think once you see it, you will know how you want to set it. Maybe you can take it to some local jewelers and pop it into some semi mounts with halo and without, and you will know once you see it what you like I am sure!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock

Daniel S. said:
clgwli said:
I see a lot of color in an N for example.. I know my stone looks even more yellow set in YG.

Would you say that N is far enough down the color range so that you see color when looking at the stone from all angles even if it is idealy cut or would a color in the Y-Z range be necessary to see color from all angles?
I didn't see this question before. So I apologize for this being so late. This is hard for me to answer since I have yet to see an "ideal" RB in that color range in person. I've seen it in a princess cut before in person, but everything else I have seen has been via video or photos. Based on those though, yes I would see the color from all angles. Heck I see a lot of color in a J or K though even ideals. I just looked at a J AGS0 RB a few months ago while searching for my ring. The salesperson was curious if I wanted that low, not realizing I wanted way lower LOL I see color quickly in many stones though.

I own a Y-Z radiant and let me say that this stone is *yellow* set or unset. It is decidedly very yellow at all angles and all lighting. I really think around the N-O-P range most people would see the yellow at all times/angles/lighting. It would be faint, mind you, but it would be there. Set it properly and you can have a stunning look.

Bright ice, congratulations on your purchase! I cannot wait to see pictures of the stone and what you decide on with the setting! I love that range of color so you can have a blast with deciding how to set it :mrgreen:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D said:
I will eagerly await photos! I think once you see it, you will know how you want to set it. Maybe you can take it to some local jewelers and pop it into some semi mounts with halo and without, and you will know once you see it what you like I am sure!

Ditto this, and I can't wait to see it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results