Depth: 66.0%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Extremely Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Very Large

Finish:
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments: Additional extra facets are not shown. Crown angles are greater than 40 degrees.

We will be seeing this diamond over the weekend. But does it look promising so far? (going to bring an ASET with me, but do you think there is a bow-tie ?)

omc311.jpg
omc311b.jpg
omc311c.jpg

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I read that CCL decided not to post on PS anymore (in one of the radiant threads); however, that post seems to have been deleted.

When you look at this stone in person, I'd pay attention to whether there's too much contrast/darkness (head obstruction blue in the Aset) in the four main center facets when you tilt the stone under the Aset scope. I know the still pictures are just reflecting the black in the camera lens but there's a bit too much darkness under the table for my liking in these photos.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I had no idea. Too bad for CCL since he was a wealth of information on cushions.

Tilt the stone 45 degrees? Or? We are looking for an antique looking stone.. so we're staying away from the AVVs (which look too clinical in my opinion but are still beautiful).

Thanks Iota !

Chatterbox_101

Rough_Rock
Is the blue in the Aset photo a negative thing?
@ Iota15: If you have time, can you please comment on my thread as well. "Cushion Cut 2 Stones from PS Vendors. Which one?"

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chatterbox_101|1289962536|2769438 said:
Is the blue in the Aset photo a negative thing?

no. patterning is the important thing to note - large areas of diamond wherein you see many blue VFs close together in a big patch is a problem - those will look dark when you lean over to view your stone (blocking direct light), large *amounts* of blue can be scattered throughout in a pleasing pattern.

also keep in mind that ASET photographs from one static position - if you tilt the stone through various viewing angles (face up, through the crown) and you see the same large unchanging patches of red/blue, you can guess that it's gonna be a *boring* stone..

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
ROL - my personal opinion - I totally agree with you on the AVC's - just a little too clinical, but I'm sure you've had the talk about what you might be sacrificing, light performance-wise, in lieu of it though.

Since you're viewing the stone in person, my first test is, well - do you love it? This is the most important part, regardless of what anything else tells you. Especially since you've been looking at other stones, you probably have better judgment than you give yourself credit.

However, since you have an Aset scope in hand, I would rock the stone back and forth 15 or so degrees, and check whether the center facets stay blue most of the time, and check how many of the center facets stay blue for how long. My concern, looking at these photos only, is that there may be too much head obstruction for too long under the table.

If the facets under the table are blue most of the time while you tilt it, it could mean darkness in the center whenever you or a friend look at the diamond at various angles (head obstruction that doesn't go away).

What is preferred is not "no blue", but rather, changes in blue and red contrast under the table in tilt mode - giving you a flickering bright flash and dark contrast during wear.

But really, all this is moot if you don't like how the diamond performs in person -> which in the end, is really what matters. Reflector images are just supposed to give us an indication of how the diamond will perform.

(And Chatterbox, blue is not a negative thing -> but you don't want too much of it in one area - and while tilting a diamond in hand, you don't want to see the blue in one big area for too long.)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
@ Iota: Ah, I see.. so essentially I'm looking out for a maltese cross effect (or what I can best describe as dark windmills in the center).. does the first photo on a tilt show good promise since it seems some of the dark areas light up when tilted? On the antique cushion I previously owned, we never used an ASET, we just went by the vendor's eyes and boy, was it a gorgeous stone !

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. Just check the maltese doesn't go dark for too long. (I'm way too long winded for anyone's good). ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The blue in the aset is like the arrows on a round - it gives contrast. Too much contrast and that's no good but too little ditto. Everyone's idea of what is exactly perfect is going to differ. Some would rather have more brilliance, others more pronounced twinkle.

The dark area in the middle will reflect what it is pointing at. If the girl is wearing a bright pink shirt it will have all sorts of pinks in the stone. I think Garry used to say that it's better for fair skinned blondes. Don't quote me on that, maybe he'll correct me lol Something like that. Some people actually like bowties and crosses because they have a different sort of quality of dispersing color but most people would rather have something more uniform. The "bowtie" facets on my stone are my 2 favorites, they're huge and the color that comes off of them is amazing. I myself would rather have that then a more uniform look.

Ultimately it's your eyes though. Look at a few and discover what makes your heart beat faster. You'll know it when you see it :)

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1289958712|2769334 said:
Girdle: Extremely Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted

Imma pass on this one. Just because of the girdle. I'm a klutz, and bang my hands a lot and would not want to worry about an extremely thin girdle breaking. Most settings (including the one shown above) only cover the corners, not the sides, of a cushion, so if the girdle is extremely thin on the sides, could chip with one good whack on a door. :(sad

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
e-thin girdles are common with this type of stone, you need to find out where and how much of the girdle is that thin and if it can be protected.
Insurance is mandatory.

As far as what to look for both in ASET and in person with mild tilt 5 degrees or so the center virtual facets should move from light to dark to light and sort of walk around the center of diamond lighting up(red in ASET). If they stay dark past 5 degrees it might be an issue for some people and you have to decide if that is ok with you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are the virtual facets I am talking about:
Komc311b.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
@ Iota: thanks again!
@ Cehrabehra: It makes sense, and your cushion is gorgeous! I'm just not a fan of the bow-tie for my own stone.
@ Antelope: I had an antique cushion prior to this with an extremely thin to thick girdle and it wasn't an issue with me (insurance covers that!)
@ Karl: Thanks for your knowledge! And of course, any sizeable diamond would be insured (especially after reading some terrible horror stories about theft and breakage on here).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results