shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Roll Ring HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dabber

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I''m new here and need some advice.

11 months ago I bought my wife a trinity ring in white gold, each band with diamonds, to commemorate the birth of our second child. A month ago my wife looked down and gasped at the sight of a missing diamond. I promptly took the ring to the store.

After inspection, it was deduced that ALL 60 remaining diamonds are loose and that my wife "wears her jewellery hard" according to the store. Here are my issues:

- my wife is a stay at home mom, removes her jewellery to moisturize, doesn''t do anything extra-ordinary outside of the typical, albeit difficult tasks, of a stay at home mom. In fact she did not wear the ring for 3 months this summer while at the cottage.

- it has been mentioned that perhaps this ring isn''t a daily wearer. For the price, this ring better be a daily wearer. It was never mentioned to me at time of purchase that it wasn''t a daily wearer. They claim that they''ve never seen anything like this for this paricular ring.

- The store wanted to charge us for the missing diamond and the repair to the loose diamonds. They have ammended this twice now...first to charge us their cost (yes, in the original quote for the fix they were trying to make money) and now to supply the missing diamond and charge me for the fix to the other settings.

- I''ve told them that this is unaceptable for the following reasons:
1. for the life of me I can''t accept that a stay-at-home mom is hard on jewellery. She has a Lucida ERing and Lucida full diamond wedding band which are prestine and are much older.
2. she''s worn the ring for 8 months...I have to imagine that this ring won''t hold up to a life-time of wearing.
3. I can''t come up with an acceptable solution outside of wanting a full refund (something i''m positive they won''t go for)...a fix still does not make this a daily wearer which it is intended to be. My wife wants to look down and be reminded of the birth of our child.
4. With all 61 diamonds loose, it suggests to me that something is wrong with the ring...although what do i know.
5. I have suggested to them that they absorb the cost of the repair and replcement of the diamond AND let me buy at their cost a white gold trinity metal-only ring that my wife can wear as her daily wearer. I think this solution, while not ideal, is realtively gracious of me.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thanks.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
A rolling pave diamond probably isn''t a good ring for daily wear. The rolling, rubbing, etc. will be constantly abrasive against the pave prongs.

Most people will lose a pave stone once in a while on rings that do not have other rings rubbing against them. I can only imagine how many stones you might lose in the futre
23.gif

They are beautiful though. I covet one myself.
1.gif

Personally I think they should repair for free this first time (including checking and tightening all the stones). After that, maintenance would be on you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although this may not be what you want to hear, it doesn''t matter what the cost, it is the design of the ring that determines whether it is a daily wearer or not. Pave styles are among the more delicate styles of rings.
A stay at mom does LOTS with her hands, more than someone who is in the office all day.

I think I would also ask them to absorb the cost of the first repair as it happened relatively soon and they didn''t give you any warning this is a special occasion type ring. With those kind of problems and the way your wife wants to wear the ring it doesn''t sound like it will be a good fit for your wife to wear this kind of ring daily.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 1:21:36 PM
Author: purrfectpear
A rolling pave diamond probably isn''t a good ring for daily wear. The rolling, rubbing, etc. will be constantly abrasive against the pave prongs.

Personally I think they should repair for free this first time (including checking and tightening all the stones). After that, maintenance would be on you.
Is this a pave ring, or the etoile style with a few diamonds scattered in each band? Given the implication that there are a total of 60 diamonds on the ring, I''m guessing it''s etoile style, with the diamonds set into and flush with the band rather than prong-set on top of the band. If it''s pave, I''d agree with PP''s assessment.

If it is an etoile-style ring, I''d agree that the ring is not living up to its promise. The rolling action of Cartiers rolling rings is one of the things that makes it so attractive (says one who is lusting for a Cartier original rolling ring!). Unless your wife is wearing her ring while doing grunt-level gardening or home repair, I can''t imagine anything she could be doing that would be harder on the rings than the rolling action. I could understand routine wear (or compulsive rolling
3.gif
) marring the finish, but lossening all 60 stones? Uh-uh.

BTW I''ve calculated the cost of a plain rolling ring (in my size, anyway) to be about 10 times the price of the gold based on current gold prices. Before anyone blasts me, I realize there are a lot of other costs reflected in those bands etc. etc. etc. and that there are reasonably priced knock-offs available. I''m just saying when you buy the real deal from Cartier you are paying a premium price, and I think it''s reasonable to expect that the product quality and service will reflect that fact.

dabber

Rough_Rock

Most people will lose a pave stone once in a while on rings that do not have other rings rubbing against them. I can only imagine how many stones you might lose in the futre
23.gif

They are beautiful though. I covet one myself.
1.gif

thanks everyone for your comments. The ring is the trinity "channel-set" type, which I think is different from the pave...pave being the kind that looks to be "encrusted" with diamonds. The prongs are not set up past the surface of the actual ring...presumably to allow for the rubbing. In any case, I''ve left it for Cartier to respond and will let everyone know the outcome.

Again, thanks for the input.

dabber

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 2:08:50 PM
Author: VRBeauty

Is this a pave ring, or the etoile style with a few diamonds scattered in each band? Given the implication that there are a total of 60 diamonds on the ring, I''m guessing it''s etoile style, with the diamonds set into and flush with the band rather than prong-set on top of the band. If it''s pave, I''d agree with PP''s assessment.

If it is an etoile-style ring, I''d agree that the ring is not living up to its promise. The rolling action of Cartiers rolling rings is one of the things that makes it so attractive (says one who is lusting for a Cartier original rolling ring!). Unless your wife is wearing her ring while doing grunt-level gardening or home repair, I can''t imagine anything she could be doing that would be harder on the rings than the rolling action. I could understand routine wear (or compulsive rolling
3.gif
) marring the finish, but lossening all 60 stones? Uh-uh.

BTW I''ve calculated the cost of a plain rolling ring (in my size, anyway) to be about 10 times the price of the gold based on current gold prices. Before anyone blasts me, I realize there are a lot of other costs reflected in those bands etc. etc. etc. and that there are reasonably priced knock-offs available. I''m just saying when you buy the real deal from Cartier you are paying a premium price, and I think it''s reasonable to expect that the product quality and service will reflect that fact.
Its the cahnnel set ring...not etoile and not pave (although not entirely sure what "pave" is) It isn''t the kind that looks "paved" with diamonds...can you tell I''m a newbie? Regardless, your comments are appreciated.

dabber

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 1:54:49 PM
Author: part gypsy
Although this may not be what you want to hear, it doesn''t matter what the cost, it is the design of the ring that determines whether it is a daily wearer or not. Pave styles are among the more delicate styles of rings.
A stay at mom does LOTS with her hands, more than someone who is in the office all day.

I think I would also ask them to absorb the cost of the first repair as it happened relatively soon and they didn''t give you any warning this is a special occasion type ring. With those kind of problems and the way your wife wants to wear the ring it doesn''t sound like it will be a good fit for your wife to wear this kind of ring daily.
Part gypsy, I appreciate where you are coming from but I must say that I think there is some responsibility for Cartier to mention to me that it is a delicate ring. I assumed when I purchased it that jewellery is made to be worn daily....especially costly Cartier stuff. I had only mentioned cost from the angle that I would perhaps expect at this price that it would hold up better than something of lesser value or pedigree...does that make any sense? I guess you live and learn but so far its been a heart-breaking experience. Given Cartier''s self-acclaimed attention to customer service, I''m a little disappointed so far.

Thanks for you comments.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately that type of ring is a bit more delicate than many, any ring with numerous small diamonds is. And I have to say that stay at home moms are often some of the hardest with their hands because they do so much with them everyday!

Now I do think that Cartier should repair the ring for you this time for free, but I do have to admit that your other request of having them sell you another ring at cost is a bit over the top. I would simply state the facts, that she has only worn the ring for 8 months, that all the stones are loose suggesting that it was made improperly in the first place, and that no one let you know how delicate the ring was. Then ask for the repairs gratis this time but don''t push your luck or else they might get defensive. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, totally unreal that Cartier would not stand behind their ring! I think that ring should be fine for daily wear. It is no different than the single Tiffany Legacy band that I wear daily.

I guess it is very good for us to have this warning, because many people would love to have one of those rings. I really hope they decide to do the right thing and at least repair the ring at no charge. Please do let us know.

By the way, you are a very good hubby judging from her ring collection.
2.gif

dabber

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 6:51:36 PM
Author: neatfreak
Unfortunately that type of ring is a bit more delicate than many, any ring with numerous small diamonds is. And I have to say that stay at home moms are often some of the hardest with their hands because they do so much with them everyday!

Now I do think that Cartier should repair the ring for you this time for free, but I do have to admit that your other request of having them sell you another ring at cost is a bit over the top. I would simply state the facts, that she has only worn the ring for 8 months, that all the stones are loose suggesting that it was made improperly in the first place, and that no one let you know how delicate the ring was. Then ask for the repairs gratis this time but don''t push your luck or else they might get defensive. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...
thanks for the advice. I''ve already splashed the vinegar so we''ll see how it goes. I really do beleive its a case of faulty craftsmenship.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 6:33:32 PM
Author: dabber
The ring is the trinity ''channel-set'' type, which I think is different from the pave...pave being the kind that looks to be ''encrusted'' with diamonds. The prongs are not set up past the surface of the actual ring...presumably to allow for the rubbing.
Like this one, right? (image pulled from the cartier site)

v47ui4kv548kvj54cc56h67j.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring appears to be bead-set and not channel, actually. I don''t see why the stones would be loose unless someone had tried to size it. You didn''t do that, did you?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Don''t underestimate the amount of work an at-home mom does. Every time you put your hand down an a hard surface, or grip something it puts stress on a ring. That includes driving. If you have a tendency to grip a steering wheel tightly you can bend the ring enough to loosen stones.

When you see the profile of antique rings most of time they are out of round. It happens over time no matter how careful you are. It just happens to some people''s rings sooner. The trinity ring already has wear built in because the rings overlap. And every time you move your hand the rings adjust their position. I recently tried on a bunch of these at the Cartier store in SF and the salesman told us they will get scratched over time because they are rubbing against each other.

This style is not an everyday ring unless you are willing to get it checked often and expect to replace stones. That''s just pave for you!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 7:56:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That ring appears to be bead-set and not channel, actually. I don''t see why the stones would be loose unless someone had tried to size it. You didn''t do that, did you?
The stones are not bead-set, but "a joured." I wonder if that is a less sturdy setting.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
"a joured" refers to a cutout setting that leaves the back of the stone open. So there is less metal and possible less strength?

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely and without question you should have them replace the set at no charge. Management will do this for you.
Companies such as Cartier pride themselves on their uncompromising workmanship. I have said this before; properly set diamonds don''t loosen easily or fall out.
It would be a rare case for Cartier to have this happen, and they need to affirm the fact to you that they are ultimately responsible. Better to replace the ring than repair it, there were errors in manufacture that need to be addressed, and a repair is just that...a fix, but the problem of the perforations persists. (Holes drilled to accommodate diamond depths are too large/weak and stretching, tightening stresses them further)
You will have your problem addressed if you ask for management.

Cheers
David

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So does bead-set mean the ring cannot have holes under the stones? I have never heard that before. The beads hold in the stone from the top, like prongs, so I am not sure why the back being open or closed would change that aspect. But you learn something new around here everyday, that's for sure! I am sure my Legacy band has little holes below the stones, too.

(I looked it up and a'joured just refers to the open back. A ring can be bead-set and have an open back as far as I can tell.)

dabber

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 7:41:40 PM
Author: musey

The ring is the trinity ''channel-set'' type, which I think is different from the pave...pave being the kind that looks to be ''encrusted'' with diamonds. The prongs are not set up past the surface of the actual ring...presumably to allow for the rubbing.
that''s the one

dabber

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 7:56:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''m not sure about bead or channel....? It has not been sized, was purchased 11 months ago and stored for 3 of those months in the summer.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Those diamonds are not channel set, they are bead set. Now that I''ve seen the picture it''s clear that the sides of each ring are built up enough that there is no "diamond on diamond" rubbing, so I am sort of surprised that the majority (60 some) of the diamonds are loose.

That definitely DOES sound like a workmanship issue, rather than rubbing during wear. Cartier should address this a no cost, for sure.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
agree that it is most likely a workmanship problem, I don''t think it is likely that all 61 stones can be loosen together from just daily wear.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dabber sorry you are having this problem. I am sympathetic and said in my original post you should ask for this to be repaired free of charge, both because it happened so soon and because they did not give you a heads up that this may not be an every day ring.
Looking at the ring, first of all I have to say it is beautiful and can see why your wife would want to wear it everyday.
I am not an expert on this subject to tell you workmanship and design wise what to expect from this ring to wear it every day. One would expect that even if it is difficult to execute, with Cartier brand behind it that the ring be wearable. All the stones loose in 8 months does not sound wearable to me.
However whatever you decide to do you should have an honest conversation with the retailer whether it is feasible for your wife to wear this ring everyday. Personally for a rolling ring etoile (or gypsy, or burnished) set diamonds would be a more safe bet.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 11:01:33 AM
Date: 1/28/2009 7:41:40 PM
Author: musey

that''s the one
That is a truly beautiful piece. I hope that you let us know how it all works out with Cartier, I''m sure there will be many people interested to know.

I thought of this thread today because I was washing my hands while wearing both my wedding set and a right hand ring, and they were knocking together. Moms are constantly washing their hands all day (presumably, it probably depends on the age(s) of the kids) and even something like that could really affect the integrity of a ring over time.

Still, in your case it seems like something else is going on, since ALL of the stones are loose. What a predicament. I truly hope it works out to your satisfaction!!

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results