shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you recycle metal from an old ring to make a new ring?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
The reason I ask is because my DH is thinking that it's wasteful to not do something with my old Verragio setting now that I'm going to get a new one. Is it possible to melt down an old platinum setting as use the same metal to make the new setting?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Can you recycle metal from an old ring to make a new rin

I don't know about platinum, but I know you can with gold.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

I have been wondering this for a long time!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think depends on how sure the jeweler is with the alloy and purity of it as it will result in different working temperature and treatment. Most of the time, jeweler will prefer to sell the setting back as scrap to be purify, even if it is made by him, and give you a discount of the selling price of the metal.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I believe it is technically possible but may in some cases end up being more expensive than just buying a new piece.

If sentimental value is your priority (like having some of your grandmother's wedding ring gold mixed into yours) you may feel it is worth the price.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

kenny said:
I believe it is technically possible but may in some cases end up being more expensive than just buying a new piece.

If sentimental value is your priority (like having some of your grandmother's wedding ring gold mixed into yours) you may feel it is worth the price.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I've done this before with white gold, at very minimal cost (just cost of labor). Turned my mom's size 6 channel set band into a size 3.25 bezel set band, using the same gold. So definitely possible!

Sadly, not sure about platinum.

Good luck!

mattbrown516

Rough_Rock

The short answer to your question is, yes. You can re-use gold or platinum to contruct a new design of any type be it a ring, pendant etc. The problem lies is what can be in store for you down the line if you do. Most jewelers prefer to simply scrap the old metal and start with fresh metal for the contruction of a new piece. The problem is a jeweler cannot guaruntee the quality of metal from an individual and it can be hard to warranty work done on metal when the jeweler can't be sure of the metal's contents. This is an issue I have seen many times when people bring in multiple objects to be melted down together to create a single piece. Combining different metals and alloys can lead to issues such as porosity and cracking down the line and you could end up spending more keeping the ring in tip-top shape than if you had just used new metal in the beginning. Saying this, if it is very important to you to keep that specific metal than do it, just be aware of what it might lead to.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have asked about this with several jewelers (including BG) about my old platinum setting, and the answer is they scrap the metal rather than recycle. Lesley suggested I sell it or put a colored stone in the old setting instead.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Yes it can be done. The metal might need to be purified a little during the process, but most refiners can handle that for the jeweler.

--Joshua

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

When I had my first e-ring remade, I wanted to keep the metal and the diamonds to put into the new ring for sentitmental purposes. I was using the same jeweler and I was told that it is not possible (or perhaps too complex and difficult).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results