shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this ring be resized?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the market for a scattered diamond band and found a used one that I really liked. The only problem is that it's about a size to a size and a half too small. :(( The seller claims it can be sized by a very skilled jeweler, but I've always heard bands with flush or burnished set diamonds can't be resized. This one also has diamonds set all around the ring. I'm attaching photos and hope some experts will chime in. It's a size 6.5 and I wear a 7.5-8.

diaetoile92y.jpg

diaetoile92x.jpg

diaetoile92side.jpg

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
It can, but it will take planning and extra diamonds.....that is, unless you do not care about having a section with no diamonds.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Gibson486|1303086010|2898785 said:
It can, but it will take planning and extra diamonds.....that is, unless you do not care about having a section with no diamonds.

Thanks for the advice! I think a section with no diamonds would be fine. I'm just worried about resizing it if I decide to purchase it since I've always heard that resizing bands with flush set diamonds can add pressure around the stones and cause them to crack if not done carefully.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't do it. Wait to find one in your size. You"ll incur expense with resizing a ring like that, and it might not turn out well. I'd either buy a new one in the right size or wait until you find a used one your size.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge ditto to DS. I have an etoile band and I would NEVER attempt to size it up or down. It's much different than the shank of an ering - the band is 4 mm wide, has a definite curvature and there would be no good place to put in a sizer piece.

There are many of those on ebay and such - I truly would wait to find one in your exact size. Not worth the aggravation at all and I really can't visualize the resizing having a nice outcome.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
this type is not too rare so you should be able to find one that's your size =) Personally I wouldn't try to resize it

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I shouldn't resize it then... Whiteflash has a nice scattered diamond band but the diamonds are a little bigger than I would like. Do you think they could custom make me one with smaller diamonds?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1303087884|2898806 said:
Absolutely!
Great! ::) I'll show them the ring I mentioned here and see if they can make it with thinner width too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would definitely be the way to go - would hate for your new ring to be spoiled by a resizing mess!

Good luck - let us know what you find!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These aren't really all that hard to make, and they can just make one in the correct size. How much are you saving by getting a used one and trying to retrofit it?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser|1303090318|2898827 said:
These aren't really all that hard to make, and they can just make one in the correct size. How much are you saving by getting a used one and trying to retrofit it?

I know they're quite easy to make, but if I can find a pre-owned one in my size I can save anywhere from $300-500. This 3mm Whiteflash scattered band is about $150 more than the ring I mentioned, but it's also thinner in width and not as heavy as the one I posted photos of: http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/scattered-diamond-wedding-band-53.htm Their 5mm version is about $350 more than the ring I posted photos of. My jeweler generally charges $40-50 for the first size up and half for the next size up. I trust that they would do a good job resizing if I asked them to since my experience with them has been awesome so far, but I'd rather not risk it as other people have suggested.

ETA: I've also thought of taking a vintage gold band and having diamonds flush set all around, but it's hard to find one with just the right thickness (to flush set the diamonds in) and with the price of gold being as high as it is, plus the cost of $10-12 to have each diamond set not including the price of the melee itself, it's more cost efficient to find a pre-owned band.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think your jeweler would charge a lot more to size this kind of band as opposed to a plain shank ring. I'd just watch for a used one in your size if you want to find one with the lowest price.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep looking for one in your size. The ring is quite pretty.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It can be cut where I have drawn a white line and a proper sizing piece soldered in. However, the existing pattern won't allow placement of one diamond in a matching pattern, so there would be a blank space. It would not be a difficult job to do without adding a diamond, but I think the suggestions you have received about finding one which fits may be less of a problem and give you a finished product without a blank spot.

Attachments

• wedring1.bmp
    567.5 KB · Views: 971

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Oldminer|1303140781|2899096 said:
It can be cut where I have drawn a white line and a proper sizing piece soldered in. However, the existing pattern won't allow placement of one diamond in a matching pattern, so there would be a blank space. It would not be a difficult job to do without adding a diamond, but I think the suggestions you have received about finding one which fits may be less of a problem and give you a finished product without a blank spot.

Thanks for the input! It's tempting to buy it and get it resized, but as others suggested, I think it would be best to wait for the right size ring or possibly purchase one custom made by Whiteflash or another trusted vendor. I'm worried about how it might affect the diamonds set all around the band. I'd rather not risk damaging any from trying to resize the ring.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Xiriah|1303091538|2898837 said:
denverappraiser|1303090318|2898827 said:

I know they're quite easy to make, but if I can find a pre-owned one in my size I can save anywhere from $300-500. This 3mm Whiteflash scattered band is about $150 more than the ring I mentioned, but it's also thinner in width and not as heavy as the one I posted photos of: http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/scattered-diamond-wedding-band-53.htm Their 5mm version is about $350 more than the ring I posted photos of. My jeweler generally charges $40-50 for the first size up and half for the next size up. I trust that they would do a good job resizing if I asked them to since my experience with them has been awesome so far, but I'd rather not risk it as other people have suggested.

ETA: I've also thought of taking a vintage gold band and having diamonds flush set all around, but it's hard to find one with just the right thickness (to flush set the diamonds in) and with the price of gold being as high as it is, plus the cost of $10-12 to have each diamond set not including the price of the melee itself, it's more cost efficient to find a pre-owned band.
That's cheap for sizing a wide,heavy band like this but they are welcome to set their own prices. I would expect the job you're describing to cost upwards of $100 at most stores, and that's without setting a diamond on the new piece. That gets you into the position of buying a retrofitted ring with possible problems of the stone coming out and no warranty in place .... all to save $50 at the end.

You can often find bands like this at pawn shops for at or near the cost of the gold although you're right that you need to pay attention to the thickness and sometimes you have to spend some time hunting. Your jeweler should be able to sprinkle diamonds about it as you need. Ask. Sizing these things before the diamonds are set is way easier by the way and can often be done without leaving a seam of any kind.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think that purchasing this ring and trying to resize it would fall into that category of the "cheap that comes out expensive in the end". You're better just waiting around a little bit. What size finger are you? 6.5 is about standard size even though most of these are custom made each person's size...so you might get lucky!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results