shape
carat
color
clarity

Can the HCA be used for a "Passion Cut" diamond?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of my BIL asked me to help with his diamond search. He doesn't want ME to find it or even suggest vendors- he just wants me to give my opinion on what he finds. This last one he sent me is a 1.25 carat "Passion Cut". Apparently it's a round diamond with 81 facets.

My Q is if HCA works for this cut? It scores .6 on the HCA but I don't know if it's valid/applicable....?

TIA!

focusr3

Rough_Rock
Yes HCA works for this cut. So it is cut good. IMO it kinda has a crushed ice look alot going on.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you tell him to check old Good Old Gold's H & A Solasfera's or Star129? Both have extra cuts and are marketed to have top sparkle if that is what he is looking for....

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any comparison picturesof Passion vs other extra cut rounds-ie Crisscut, Solasferra etc

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

1. HCA is useful only for MRBs.
1A) Wireframe shows that there are no facets that span the crown from table to girdle, so using crown angle would be meaningless, and percentages are necessarily rounded (because that's what we get on the report for MRBs) and therefore less accurate. Though I don't know what info you actually get on a report for a Passion cut - and from what authority..
1B) HCA score ranges highlight certain characteristic MRB "looks". The "look" the cutters of this brand are aiming for might be totally different.

2. HCA is useful only as a blunt weeding tool - it is NOT a selection tool. Presumably you don't have hundreds of Passion cut diamonds to choose from, so availability has done the weeding for you, and now you need to move on to the selection part.

incomparable_cut.jpg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1366149150|3428403 said:
No.

1. HCA is useful only for MRBs.
1A) HCA is designed to highlight a certain "look" that MRBs aim for. The "look" the cutters of this brand are aiming for might be different.
1B) Wireframe shows that there are no facets that span the crown from table to girdle, so using crown angle would be meaningless anyway, and percentages are necessarily rounded (because that's what we get on the report) and therefore less accurate.

2. HCA is useful only as a blunt weeding tool - it is NOT a selection tool. Presumably you don't have hundreds of Passion cut diamonds to choose from, so availability has done the weeding for you, and now you need to mov on to the selection part.
Thanks everyone! :wavey:

Yssie- WOW thank you soooooo much for taking the time to post this! You're the best! This is super helpful- thank you!!!!!!!!!! :wavey: :appl: :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. I just actually LOOKED at your av and you're no newbie! Serves me right forreading PS on a tablet :bigsmile:
And you're very welcome ::)

Draco

Rough_Rock
Trade
LALove said:
A friend of my BIL asked me to help with his diamond search. He doesn't want ME to find it or even suggest vendors- he just wants me to give my opinion on what he finds. This last one he sent me is a 1.25 carat "Passion Cut". Apparently it's a round diamond with 81 facets.

My Q is if HCA works for this cut? It scores .6 on the HCA but I don't know if it's valid/applicable....?

TIA!

If the BIL is a DIY kinda guy, tell him to buy an ASET scope or an Idealscope or both, learn to use them and evaluate the diamonds himself or post the images here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results