shape
carat
color
clarity

can someone help calm my nerves on this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redraider2001

Rough_Rock
i''m just about to purchase a stone and setting after several months of looking and need some reassurance that my decision is in line....please help!!

the setting: a. jaffe me0961 www.ajaffe.com
.27 ct channel set f vs2
everywhere i looked - $1150 (multiple jewelers)
got it for - $950 (local jeweler)

i was originally working with an online broker (no names mentioned) on the stone and was going to have the local jewler set and appraise it.

the local jewler wanted to try and win my business on the whole shabang and asked if he could have a shot at the stone as well.

here is what the local jeweler has brought in with a total price of $5820 (credit card fee and state tax UNFORTUNATELY not included):

1.07 gia hearts & arrows
g
si1
depth: 61.4%
table: 57%
polish: ex
symmetry: ex
culet: none
girdle: m to stk, f
fluor: none
6.53x6.59x4.03

sarin report:
crown: 35.3 degrees
pavilion: 40.7 degrees
table: 56.8%
depth: 61.1%
culet: .7%
girdle: 2%

the stone is gorgeous and the deal seems pretty darn good for such a nice stone. inclusions are barely noticable at 10x. feathers easily noticable at 30x under a microscope.

gia report number and h & a are laser inscribed. g color seems borderline f/g as opposed to g/h. beautiful stone!! any thoughts? i''m assuming he''s making the $ in the setting and sacraficing the stone for the "total deal" business.

please advise--i''d greatly appreciate.

redraider2001

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An inscription on the girdle does not make a diamond H&A (Gia would just report if the inscription was there when the diamond was graded, but does not evaluate H&A).

This doesn't mean the stone is not a darn nice deal (given ideal proportions, it sounds very promissing, as far as I know) and it may well be propoer Harts and Arrows to boot. If there is a H&A viewer around, you could check the pattern yourself. At least the arrows should show pretty well with no viewer at all. The diamond can well have perfect brilliance even if the H&A pattern is not 300% by the book.

What you describe is really lucky clarity for SI1... and the lest expensive stone with comparable characteristsics comes for a bit more on Pricescope list - sure you know by now
34.gif
If better prices for ideal cut rounds or H&A are available elsewhere, I have no idea. You seem to have already found a source
1.gif

redraider2001

Rough_Rock
using the loupe and looking through the pavilion the hearts all seemed to be the same size and looking through the table, all arrows looked very close to the same size/shape.

clarity grade could almost have been a vs2 but gia had it as an si1. would you suggest having gia regrade the stone? what fees are associated with that? could that come back to hurt me?

thanks!!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s around $100 US for Gia to do re-cert. If your happy with the way it faces up there is no reason to have it re-certed.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2005 4:36:52 PM
Author: redraider2001

clarity grade could almost have been a vs2 but gia had it as an si1. would you suggest having gia regrade the stone? what fees are associated with that? could that come back to hurt me?
Not sure if re-grading is even done. Perhaps another lab (AGS ?) would actually judge the stone again, but GIA would track the stone and re-issue the same grades just for the sake of preserving their reputation for consistency. I do not know if the grades can be effectively contested.

I don''t think the grading costs that much, but it would take weeks. And yes, it can always "hurt". Your jeweler may see this stone as F/VS2 potentially, but what if the lab sees H/SI1 instead ? You never know...
34.gif

What good would re-grading do ? You could use an apprasal for insurance purposes staing exactly where the stone stands, no ?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it looks like a beauty to me... great proportions. You''ve seen it, and you love it, and it does seem like a good deal to me, too. It is kind of nice to have a local B & M jeweler around for check-ups, cleanings, and minor work, too. My humble 2 cents... go for it!!! (Then post pictures, please!)
1.gif

Lynn

redraider2001

Rough_Rock
thanks lynn--i appreciate your input. i''m pretty pleased--just wanted to try and get some third party thoughts on it since i''m such a rookie--i''ve looked for almost 4 months and still consider myself quite the rookie--however when i first started looking my main priority was color and not cut--i''m glad i put the time into it. thanks again

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure I follow . . . you said the setting with the jeweler is $200 cheaper than every other quote, and then you say the jeweler is giving you the stone for cheap because he''s making such a profit on the setting. How much profit can he be making on a $950 setting that he''s selling under suggested retail price?

But the stone sounds great, and you''re happy, so I suppose that my following doesn''t matter one jot. :)

redraider2001

Rough_Rock
you bring up a valid point with my statements. that's why i feel i'm getting such a good deal. there is not a 1.05+ with the specs of my stone for less than $5000 on pricescope and there is not a h & a (with similar specs) on pricescope for less than $5,300. my only thought was he had might of had room in the setting which is why he could discount the stone.

he certainly fought to win my business so there is a very good possibility he only made a hundred dollars just to win the deal. as a professional sales person, i negotiated the heck out of this thing. local independent jewelers are really hurting from the internet sales boom but if they play the game right they too can capitalize on opportunity which is what i'm guessing he chose to do.

does this seem realistic, i guess is what i'm asking. everything checks out and i'm very pleased to say the least. my only quam was dropping to a g color but looking at the stone next to an f i could not tell any difference, not to mention, my original search was for g stones only.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Just my $0.02... I love the higher crown and shallower pavilion proportions on this stone. But to be sure you''re getting the great deal you think you''re getting, I''d have an independent appraiser check out the stone (BEFORE it''s set), confirm that it''s H&A, confirm the Sarin, color, clarity, carat weight, everything. Then have it reappraised once it''s set for insurance purposes.

I''m not saying your jeweler isn''t on the up-and-up, but on this kind of purchase, I really believe in being sure what you''re getting is as it was represented.

redraider2001

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice--i''ll look into that--there is a gia gemologist in town that does independent appraisals for $75.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results