shape
carat
color
clarity

Can/should i have my diamond recut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robainya

Rough_Rock
My fiance gave me a gorgeous vintage engament ring that belonged to his grandmother. The stone is a .85 ct mine cut diamond (SI1, G). I love the ring. the only problem is that the stone has a very large culet, so you can see right through to the bottom. I''m afraid it makes it look a little weird. I''m wondering if it would be possible/advisable to have the stone recut to make the culet smaller?

Allium

Rough_Rock
Do you know the depth of the stone and any other proportions? I personally wouldn''t touch it. I think as more old stones are recut, the low availability of old mine and old euro cut stones will make them more valuable. But if you really hate it, have an experienced cutter look at it. They''d be able to assess the weight loss.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think alot of old mine cuts have a little black dot in the middle from being able to see straight through. I would hesistate to cut it unless you are 10000000% sure you DF wont mind and that it will not damage your relationship with his family. Even then...I just dont think I would.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I hope you don''t recut it!!!! Old mine cuts just have a certain charm all their own and yes, that does include a large culet. It only looks weird if the observer knows nothing of the history of the cut (check out Good Old Gold''s tutorial on omcs or just do a search under omc here on PS if you want a little background) or if you are trying to compare it to modern cut diamonds. You''re lucky to have an omc with the SI1, G combo- lower colors and clarity are often common.

I guess a lot of old cuts are an acquired taste, but if it really drives you crazy as an e-ring please consider using it as a rhr. It simply isn''t meant to compete against modern diamonds, it''s meant to stand alone
1.gif
(and we''d love to see a photo, too!)

widget

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooh, I agree with everything Fountainfairfax says! I really hope you don''t recut it, but rather learn to appreciate it, and love it for the rarity it is. Those are indeed very nice stats for an old cut diamond.

I LOVE old cut diamonds...especially old mine cuts...and your''s probably looks perfect in his "grandmother''s gorgeous vintage engagement ring"!
3.gif

Do a search for: "antique cuts", and go to the thread entitled: "Show me Your Antique Cuts!". (sorry...I don''t know how to post links..). You''ll see some great eyecandy, and hopefully will want to join the club of "Antique Cut Nuts".

I''d LOVE to see a picture of this treasure...

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree the old mine cuts have a beauty of their own, and wouldn''t touch it if I were you. I had to replace my SIL''S old european cut diamond that she lost out of her ering and let me tell you it was like finding a needle in a hay stack. I was given a 3 stone ring by my grandmother that has large old mine cuts and I treasure that ring to no end. These stones have such character and sparkle galore. Please post pics of it, we really love seeing these older cuts!!!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Let me add my voice to those saying don''t recut it. You have a lovely antique, and you have a chance to preserve and pass on to your grandchildren a piece of history that carries generations of memories.

robainya

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments! That is exactly what i wanted to hear, actually. The truth is that i love the ring as it is. I''ve always wanted a vintage ring, but i guess i just didn''t know that much about old diamonds. I didn''t know about the culet thing and it''s just not what i''m used to. It''s super sparkly and as far as the style of the ring, it is probably exactly what i would have picked out myself if it hadn''t been given to me.

ringrddr.jpg

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 12:59:11 AM
Author:
It''s super sparkly and as far as the style of the ring, it is probably exactly what i would have picked out myself if it hadn''t been given to me.

Then there you go.
Looks like a beauty!
You should start a thread of your own in the Show me the Ring Forum.
We''d all love to see more pics.
Congratulations!

Scintillating...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ooh it''s just beautiful!! I have a custom pendant that was given to my fiance''s grandmother by his grandfather (both now deceased) and I treasure it just as much as my e-ring. Heirlooms are so special
1.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Oh it is perfect!!!!! From the photo you posted it looks soooo white and the clarity looks great too! and I love the setting, I''m glad you mentioned that the style is something you''d pick out for yourself because it really is classic and has already stood the test of time. As the receiver of an inherited omc myself, I say "Welcome to the club!" You now have a stone different than most you will see on your friends and family and that isn''t a bad thing. Wear it in wonderful health & happiness
1.gif

robainya

Rough_Rock
After reading all the posts here about OMCs, i have realized just how special my ring is! Thank you all so much for such informative posts--and for sharing your passion for these old diamonds. I think i just didn''t understand what i had. Now that i know so much more about these diamonds, I think mine is really really cool. I always liked the way it looked, i just feared that it was "inferior" since it was not like the modern cut diamonds i see. The funny thing is that it turns out that one of the things i like best about my diamond is how chunky it is, which i now understand is one of the features that make people say that OMCs are inferior to modern cut (since so much of their weight is in the depth, not the spread). My diamond is .85 and i''m told the spread is more like a .7, but you know, it''s big enoug for me.

Anyway, I plan to leave my gorgeous diamond just as it is.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh robainya, thanks for the pic. Your ring is just gorgeous, and I''m so happy that you are leaving just as it is. It''s soooo beautiful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a classically beautiful diamond, and ring.

I'm so glad that you decided to keep this unique and irreplaceable piece of history intact!

Wear it proudly and use it to educate your friends and acquaintances.
The ones who are really in the know will envy you.
It is very special.

BTW that looks like a professional photogarapher took that shot.
Care to tell us about your equipment, lighting and set up?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is so sweet looking!
30.gif
I am soo glad that you will be keeping it the way it is.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results