shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Halo Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there!
i have been slowly trying to narrow down an engagment ring style. like many here, i am considering a halo... and since our budget is .... well.... a young couple''s budget.... thought this would be the best way to get the biggest glittery bang for our buck:)
but i have some questions regarding the different styles ... more importantly i can''t seem to find the right wording to describe the type i prefer... hope these pictures help.
this is the style that i love... it looks as if there are glittery flecks all around the stone.

halo 1.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
this is the syle that i don''t prefer.. see how you can see metal circle around the outside of the halo.. what is this called?? and what is the difference?
thanks so much for all of your help!!!!

halo 3.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i am going to resize the second photo so you can really see how it looks as if there is no metal around the stones in the halo... to me this just looks so glittery and truly enhances the larger center stone.. opinions? comments???

good halo.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Here is mine.
My original engagement ring was a .71 carat and now with the halo it looks twice the size.

Pix 1O.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
viz:

I feel similarly about the style of the halo ring -- i don''t like too much metal. but at the same time, it seems like the tiny pave diamonds are much more likely to fall out -- like what happened to that most recent, lovely leon ring of ally''s. so maybe the metal provides more protection and sturdiness for this style.

perhaps someone can tell us the kind of "paveing" (new verb) that the ring you first posted vs. the ones with more metal. channel set/bezel/fishtail. there are so many terms floating around.

thanks!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
ps: i do really adore that oval ring. can you tell me where you got that picture from

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i have such a HUGE folder on my computer of all the rings that i like.. that i didn''t think to put where i found each one until AFTER i was actively serarching... most likely i found it here on p.s. :)
p.s. i never thought about the diamonds falling out.... hmmmmmm...... would these (and correct me if i''m wrong) prong set diamonds around the center stone have the same tendancy to fall out???

halo 5.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
another beautiful oval from a P.S. member that i droooooooooool over!!! soooooooo beautiful
30.gif

oval 1.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
The pictures that you posted of the rings that you really like are a little hazy so it''s hard to see, but I think that the metal isn''t milgrained like a lot of the other halo rings on this site. At least with my ring the metal stands out around the edges of the halo because the milgrain makes it very very slightly raised. Taking a total guess on what I can see from the first picture it appears that they used a larger melee than the other halos around here so less metal would show because there is more space in between the stones.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve been trying to give my boyfriend gental "direction" on what i like... but i''m so confused myself with all of the terms :) so, do you think the diamonds around the halos that i like are bigger than one-pointers? - (now i don''t even know if i''m using that term correctly:) HA!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Basically it looks like you want the halo pave set around the center stone but do not want a milgrained border on the outside and do not want another thick bezel/rim on the outside edge as well. One of the pictures you posted is Brwnidgrl's Tacori setting (the one you blew up and then shrunk down again) so one option would be to go with that Tacori setting. That is one of my favorite halo rings on PS, BTW.

ETA: In response to your question - I doubt they're more than 1 or 2 pointers but w/o knowing the sizes of the center stones, hard to tell.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
what does a 1 pointer mean vs. a 2 pointer vs. an 8 pointer.

so much jargon to learn

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
1 pointer = 1 point stone = 1/100 of a carat
2 pointer = 2 point stone = 2/100 or 1/50 of a carat
8 pointer = 8 point stone = 8/100 or 2/25 of a carat, etc.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Vizsla,

You and I are in the same boat! I don''t mind the metal circle that holds the diamonds in, though, because you can barely notice it when it''s on your finger. Have you tried any halos on? Remember (because I tend to forget!) that these pictures are blown up to the size of our heads. On the finger, it''s much more dainty and you really have to strain to see any heavy metal...if the job is done right!
30.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve seen a few in the maul stores... and, you''re right, it''s hard to see the metal.... i guess i liked the idea of having a bit of soft, (dare i say) girlie sparkle around the edges, without it being too heavy or too much of a statement. did that make any sense?

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
and yes.. that''s her tacori ring! it''s actually the reason i love halos!!!!! i think her ring is sooooo beautiful and perfect! but i really love the "baskets" that have some pave on them... like the lovely reena''s.... do you think this is something that whiteflash would be able to combine? or would the prong set diamond in the halo not lend themselves to this?
thanks!!!!!!!

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
also you should take into consideration that some are bezel set and some are prong set. I don''t know anything about bezel setting, but I am guessing if you wanted to upgrade or change center stones later in life the bezel may make it harder to remove than the prong. I am hoping some experts will chime in on this. I am wondering myself
20.gif

Any of those rings are beautiful and you will have a lot of glitter! good luck to you
21.gif

Lori/yellow

E B

Ideal_Rock
Vizsla,

Have you seen this thread yet? Scroll down to see the pictures of some rings Whiteflash already has available (on someone's fingers...to the left is the bezel set and to the right is the prong set):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/might-be-it-halo-setting.33392/page-2

My boyfriend and I are also on a pretty tight budget and I decided on a halo ring too...and with the help of a few PSers (shoutout to Ana!
9.gif
), I designed my perfect halo by taking bits and pieces from rings I liked. Custom may be the way you want to go as well if you don't see anything you truly love. Don't settle- you'll wear this ring forever!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
ebree-
thanks so much for your comments... i actually was hoping to do a prong set center stone ... and.... i hope this is not to forward of me...
i know how much certain settings cost, espically the ones that i have my eye on.... but haven''t ventured into truly researching a custom option as we are not quite ready to purchase .... with that said, i always assumed that custom work was wayyy out of our budget.. how does it run as compared to somthing that is already made???

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i swear i can spell... Especially :) it''s just that i type faster than i think
26.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Vizsla,

With custom work, it really depends on what you want. I'm *hopefully* getting my custom ring done at Whiteflash, and they're extremely reasonable when you consider some designer prices like Ritani (the one I'm basing my halo on
30.gif
) or Tacori. I think the best thing to do would be to start piecing together what you like, and try to figure out what you prefer regarding pave (or metal you'll be using). Do you want diamonds on the shank? If you only want a halo of diamonds with a polished band like that Tacori you love, Whiteflash might be able to do it for an pretty reasonable price. Extra diamonds on the shank or on the side of the halo will cost you more, and so will using platinum instead of white gold.

What size diamond are you looking to have in the center?

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out Faerievert''s ring...

Page 3 in Show me the Ring....

Gorgeous!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i was hoping to have a center stone around a .75-1.0, but i guess this depends on the entire budget. in my best "guess"timate i think we have about 5k to work with. another reason why i ask about the custom setting is because i would like a cushion or oval in lieu of the round that the tacori set is made for. oh.. and white gold.... i love the look of the plain band with a halo and an eternity band for the WB.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Vizsla, I think that when it looks as if the ring has been dipped in sugar (just an analogy, don''t laugh), that that is a more micropave. These stones are usually smaller than one pointers. This is from what I have learned. I am by no means an expert, so if anyone can clarify further, please help me out with terms. Thanks

Shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2005 10:50:01 AM
Author: lovelylulu
ps: i do really adore that oval ring. can you tell me where you got that picture from

hey lovelylulu, i believe that it matrock''s ring. it has a 10.28 carat oval
23.gif
30.gif

it doesn''t have it''s own thread...but it should
2.gif

madrocks1.jpg

madrocks2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results