shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Dreamer_D and Yssie and other old cut lovers~

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
58 table's fine. Surfgirl's transitional had a larger table and a high crown too. I think it's worth a look in person on the Yekutiel stone.

Ask Adam about that inclusion. Can you see it with your naked eye at any distance?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337736860|3201339 said:
armywife13|1337735436|3201313 said:
madelise|1337733749|3201274 said:
Phew, I think I got back to each and every comment. Thank you ladies for giving me your opinions. I can't talk about this stuff IRL and it drives me mad. I've already out-talked my SO, who is getting :confused: from all my talk. I don't think he knows left from right anymore when it comes to diamonds. And I think if I keep obsessing and stressing, he might just ban me from the search altogether, and just revert to finding a modern RB for me.

Let me add another one to the mix. This is from Yuketiel.

3.01 K SI2
I am in the same boat as you, I hav no one to talk to in real life. I think if I bring up my upgrade one more time my husband might go nuts. :loopy:

The diamond from Yuketiel looks stunning!! Wow.

haha, lets huddle and whine together!
Yes! Can we throw a little wine in with the whining? :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really liking the stone from Yekutiel - I think it looks promising!

ETA: I like the stone from OWD too, just not sure about the inclusion.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1337722855|3201149 said:
I'm late to the party!

I don't like the first one either, but I would disagree with previous posters - I have a half-carater with a nasty case of fish eye and I don't believe that's what I'm seeing in the photos of the first one, just run of the mill leakage. I don't like the way they're trying to sell it - I'd send them a very point-blank message with terms of sale I am comfortable with, and if I didn't get a very point-blank response I'd go elsewhere.

I would scratch the 2.89 JbEG off right away as Gypsy said - that definitely *is* fish eye, and if it's that visible at such a small tilt angle through even the one-eyed camera... yikes!
(In my experience fish eye is much worse w/ two eyes than in pics b/c your left and right eyes pick up the effect on both sides of the table from different angles and mush them together into one image)

TBH I don't like the 2.67 JbEG either - same issues Dreamer points out, though it does look like a *bright* stone. If the OWD is clean that's my pick of the lot so far.
ETA: or the last JbEG - the 2.60 L :sun:

jbegfisheye.png

I'll agree with almost everything Yssie said. I'm not wild on either of the two JBEG stones - the pattern feels off in the 2nd stone and I agree with the others on why the first is a pass too.

I wouldn't even waste the time on the first stone. Even if you could get return, the leakage I see here wouldn't make it even worth the time.

I love the pattern on the J from OWD, so if you were going to gamble at all, I'd bring this in to see if it's eyeclean to you. If it's not, I'd keep looking.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Phew, I think I got back to each and every comment. Thank you ladies for giving me your opinions. I can't talk about this stuff IRL and it drives me mad. I've already out-talked my SO, who is getting :confused: from all my talk. I don't think he knows left from right anymore when it comes to diamonds. And I think if I keep obsessing and stressing, he might just ban me from the search altogether, and just revert to finding a modern RB for me.

3.01 K SI2

Is that stone supposed to be eye clean and is that the inclusion in the lower right along the edge? I know the image is cropped for a close view, but proportionally speaking the inclusion (if that is what it is) seems kind of large.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1337734821|3201298 said:

3.01 K SI2

Oh, I LIKE this - it looks more like a transitional than an old cut, but it's a pretty one. Am I seeing some twinning wisps in there? Magnified 8000 times they're visible, but in person I bet they're subtle. Who is it on here who has a stone with twinning wisps - was it Yssie's trade-in stone, the one she had before her current one? That was an AWESOME rock.

But, Mara's right ... that pic could go either way. Maybe ask him if he could take a few others from different angles?

madelise said:
... Grace is bringing that particular diamond to our meet, so I'll still get to see the baby live in action. :)) The only thing making me weary is that center going dark- thing. And, that it's slightly under the 9mm mark I'd like to hit

Re: the question of stones going dark ... this is something that I was just trying to puzzle out with Dreamer's advice in my SMTB thread, and that was sort of addressed in Mara's RT thread from earlier in the week. If it goes dark to the point of being a nailhead, boo! But if it's what I think it is - where the center facets go on-off, on-off in the light? I actually sort of like it in an old cut. See how it performs in person and whether it pleases your eye ....

On-off-on-off is good :)) What you don't want is the off to be more common than on, and for like one small facet to be on and the other 10 off in one region! Ideally, all the facets go on-off-on-off as you move independently! If soo many are all synced up, you get an "over dark" appearance as a vast swath of the stone darkens, or you get an area that is almost always dark except when you hold your hand juuust right.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah, got it! Thank you - finally, the switch in my head went from off to ON. :mrgreen:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1337739904|3201384 said:
Circe|1337734821|3201298 said:

3.01 K SI2

Oh, I LIKE this - it looks more like a transitional than an old cut, but it's a pretty one. Am I seeing some twinning wisps in there? Magnified 8000 times they're visible, but in person I bet they're subtle. Who is it on here who has a stone with twinning wisps - was it Yssie's trade-in stone, the one she had before her current one? That was an AWESOME rock.

But, Mara's right ... that pic could go either way. Maybe ask him if he could take a few others from different angles?

madelise said:
... Grace is bringing that particular diamond to our meet, so I'll still get to see the baby live in action. :)) The only thing making me weary is that center going dark- thing. And, that it's slightly under the 9mm mark I'd like to hit

Re: the question of stones going dark ... this is something that I was just trying to puzzle out with Dreamer's advice in my SMTB thread, and that was sort of addressed in Mara's RT thread from earlier in the week. If it goes dark to the point of being a nailhead, boo! But if it's what I think it is - where the center facets go on-off, on-off in the light? I actually sort of like it in an old cut. See how it performs in person and whether it pleases your eye ....

On-off-on-off is good :)) What you don't want is the off to be more common than on, and for like one small facet to be on and the other 10 off in one region! Ideally, all the facets go on-off-on-off as you move independently! If soo many are all synced up, you get an "over dark" appearance as a vast swath of the stone darkens, or you get an area that is almost always dark except when you hold your hand juuust right.

That explanation was great...thanks for the detail DreamerD...still learning and that really helps.

"On-off-on-off is good :)) What you don't want is the off to be more common than on, and for like one small facet to be on and the other 10 off in one region! Ideally, all the facets go on-off-on-off as you move independently! If soo many are all synced up, you get an "over dark" appearance as a vast swath of the stone darkens, or you get an area that is almost always dark except when you hold your hand juuust right."

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

3.01 K SI2

:love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy I didn't dislike the OWD at all, if it was clean to madelise's requirements ::) Madelise - you're going to see these before having them set, right? I wouldn't totally trust a vendor's call of eyeclean for either SI honestly, if for no other reason than because noone else has your eyes and you'll want to know how visible the inclusions are at various tilts as well as strictly face-up and from side-on. When you examine them make sure they're spotlessly clean and inspect in different types of lights, then get them dirty (rub your fingers all over) and inspect again in those different lights.

Circe I did have a wispy stone! It was seriously awesome, nice and clean despite the wisps too - they were white and had no effect on brilliance at all.

So these are the current three? What are the prices?

3.13 J SI1 OWD
OWD.jpg

2.60 L VS1 JbEG
2.60%20L%20VS1.png

3.01 K SI2 IDJ
IDJ.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you just ruled out ebay, but I wanted to be sure anyone lurking read the extra text on this stone before getting too interested. I liked it a lot until I read the fine print. I don't like that much restriction on a return, personally. It surely was a pretty setting, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251065618364?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#rpdId

"Returns & Refunds: PLEASE NO RETURNS!!! We will not accept returns on items unless the item is damaged in shipping, or is not as described in our auction listing. If that is the case, notify us immediately. You have 14-days from the time you receive the item to return the item to us for a full refund. After 14-days, we WILL NOT accept or issue refunds on items."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the Good Old Gold stone you were asking about? I have no idea about my color tolerance, either, in old stones this large because I haven't seen one, but I honestly think I like the cut and performance on this one better than any posted. Like Dreamer, I couldn't handle the inclusion that looks so visible in the one from OWD. But I really am guessing that the only reason this stone hasn't sold is the GIA Q color.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8716

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be really interested to hear what you think of the JbEG this Friday!

I completely understand what you mean about colour - it should be either white or yellow, not in between. We'd be perfect partners if we were shopping together - that uncharacterisable mix of white and yellow is exactly the colour I look for :cheeky:

Couple more thoughts -

Of the three JbEG takes the best pics by far! IDJ got way too close with the camera, you can tell. It makes it harder to compare. The thing is... since you're looking for an old cut, I assume you aren't prioritising light return the way we would with RBs, and that faceting and facet patterning is important to you as well - with a budget like yours if light return is the godsent priority your best bet is an AVR! So which one do *your* eyes like best, from the pics?

Also what setting are you thinking of, and who are you going to commission to make it? The IDJ and OWD look very round - easy to set in whatever style. I'd want a skilled bench for the JbEG though, to either play up the off-roundedness or conceal it - I could see a less experienced/skilled bench making a mess of a bezel on that one, say :sick:

The owner of that last GOG that DS posted has posted about the stone and his efforts to sell in preloved, if you are interested (since it's public info anyway!) It is a gorgeous stone.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1337744114|3201414 said:
Gypsy I didn't dislike the OWD at all, if it was clean to madelise's requirements ::) Madelise - you're going to see these before having them set, right? I wouldn't totally trust a vendor's call of eyeclean for either SI honestly, if for no other reason than because noone else has your eyes and you'll want to know how visible the inclusions are at various tilts as well as strictly face-up and from side-on. When you examine them make sure they're spotlessly clean and inspect in different types of lights, then get them dirty (rub your fingers all over) and inspect again in those different lights.

Circe I did have a wispy stone! It was seriously awesome, nice and clean despite the wisps too - they were white and had no effect on brilliance at all.

So these are the current three? What are the prices?

3.13 J SI1 OWD
OWD.jpg

2.60 L VS1 JbEG
2.60%20L%20VS1.png

3.01 K SI2 IDJ
IDJ.jpg

Oh yes, for sure I will have to see them all unset before setting. Ack, setting, that's a whole 'nother topic to fret about, but I want to focus on worrying about the diamond FIRST, get this over with, then have SO actively involved with the setting. I won't let him touch the diamond! That's MY project :saint: Settings are replaceable, center stone is not.

How do I inspect them in different lights? I'll be meeting with Grace in a public indoor venue (safe, I'm assuming, since she chose the spot). I don't know what kind of lighting they have there inside, and I don't know how safe it is to bring it outdoors to see under natural daylight since it is at a public setting.

The prices are 29k, 18.1k, and I haven't asked about the price for the IDJ stone. I haven't even replied to him yet since I've been a bit frazzle dazzled all day.. I completely forgot! I'm shooting him an email right now, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow for his response. :))

Grace just sent me a reminder email about this Friday, and said she has a few other contenders that she'll be bringing along. I'm excited. ::)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1337744930|3201419 said:
I know you just ruled out ebay, but I wanted to be sure anyone lurking read the extra text on this stone before getting too interested. I liked it a lot until I read the fine print. I don't like that much restriction on a return, personally. It surely was a pretty setting, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251065618364?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#rpdId

"Returns & Refunds: PLEASE NO RETURNS!!! We will not accept returns on items unless the item is damaged in shipping, or is not as described in our auction listing. If that is the case, notify us immediately. You have 14-days from the time you receive the item to return the item to us for a full refund. After 14-days, we WILL NOT accept or issue refunds on items."

you are an awesome friend, DS, to think of lurkers that might be purchasing!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1337745604|3201425 said:
Is this the Good Old Gold stone you were asking about? I have no idea about my color tolerance, either, in old stones this large because I haven't seen one, but I honestly think I like the cut and performance on this one better than any posted. Like Dreamer, I couldn't handle the inclusion that looks so visible in the one from OWD. But I really am guessing that the only reason this stone hasn't sold is the GIA Q color.

Yup, this one. This would give me plenty of "room" left from my budget to go for my ultimate dream setting. I don't mind waiting for my dream setting until way later.. but it's always nice to save $.

I'm wondering if the Q-R grade + a yellow cup would make a nice light light sunshine yellow? Then added with a very very delicate halo in ice white diamonds to contrast with it? I can totally dig that.

I just love how Jon provides such detailed videos. I wish all vendors had such detailed videos!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Madelise! I love ebay jewelry bargains for sure, but I try to read return policies very carefully because some are too restrictive when buying something expensive. I generally only buy when there is an unconditional return policy of 7-14 days.

I really think the GOG stone would have to be seen. I agree that it could have potential. I also would love a champagne color diamond with a halo in addition to light yellow. But I think diamond color just has to be seen in person. That stone is larger than I could pull off, but if it was smaller, I would likely order it to look at because the price is pretty outstanding for the cut quality. And the guy does want to sell so I think the price is negotiable. And yes, Jon's videos are immensely helpful!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1337746200|3201427 said:
I'll be really interested to hear what you think of the JbEG this Friday!

I completely understand what you mean about colour - it should be either white or yellow, not in between. We'd be perfect partners if we were shopping together - that uncharacterisable mix of white and yellow is exactly the colour I look for :cheeky:

YES. Shop with me! I need your knowledge, and I'd be happy to pose with the colors for you ;-) I mean, I don't want to dismiss the "in between" colors YET, since I haven't seen a variety of them.. but I know for sure that I am definitely more than okay with the other 2 ends of the spectrum. I just don't know if a Q-R counts as an in-between, or a for-sure-this-thing-is-yellow. :wink2:

Couple more thoughts -

Of the three JbEG takes the best pics by far! IDJ got way too close with the camera, you can tell. It makes it harder to compare. The thing is... since you're looking for an old cut, I assume you aren't prioritising light return the way we would with RBs, and that faceting and facet patterning is important to you as well - with a budget like yours if light return is the godsent priority your best bet is an AVR! So which one do *your* eyes like best, from the pics?

AVR would be awesome as it'd take away any anxiety about the performance, however, it is out of my budget completely! I still want to prioritize a nice cut with an awesome pattern. I like that it reflects colorful chunky light over the splintery-er white flashes that a MRB does. I don't know how to explain it. I love MRBs, don't get me wrong, especially since the spread would be a little bit more.. and like Mara's thread, it's definitely easier to get find someone else to adopt it when it's time to move on. It's my 2nd choice for an E-Ring stone, and if I can't find a good OEC that I love in the next half year, or whenever the heck SO starts panicking because it's getting close to his Popping of the Q time, I'm giving up and getting a MRB.

My eyes love best the patterning in that 2.6 L, big and blocky.. and my favorite is the checkerboard-y look of coatimundi's tranny. However, I know it's IMPOSSIBLE to find my required stats regardless of patterning-type, so I guess I'll settle for any pattern as long as it's visually pleasing and is bright. I want it to be one of those described "it's always glowing, it never turns off"- type of stone.

Also what setting are you thinking of, and who are you going to commission to make it? The IDJ and OWD look very round - easy to set in whatever style. I'd want a skilled bench for the JbEG though, to either play up the off-roundedness or conceal it - I could see a less experienced/skilled bench making a mess of a bezel on that one, say :sick:

I have way too many dream setting ideas, from a folder of saved images to bookmarks of pages to pencil sketches that I did. I am okay with a temp setting, like a simpler solitaire with a few sidestones or whatnot for a few years. My ultimate "goal" setting is to have VC do an altered frankiextah + anne_h.. with a delicate delicate halo, and a basket with some sort of lotus in the metalwork. (My Chinese name has the character lotus in it, and I love the symbolism of something beautiful arising out of murky, dirty, gross water). I guess this also depends on what my centerstone will end up being, though. If it's too "big", I don't want a halo. If it's "just right", I'll stick a tasteful, delicate halo on it. The idea of it protecting the girdle also pleases me. I do have huge size 8 fingers, too, so I can get away with "gaudier" looks.

The owner of that last GOG that DS posted has posted about the stone and his efforts to sell in preloved, if you are interested (since it's public info anyway!) It is a gorgeous stone.

Do you think it'd be "yellow enough" if it were to be stuck with a gold cup though? Or would it still be in that in between zone?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1337748734|3201444 said:
Thanks, Madelise! I love ebay jewelry bargains for sure, but I try to read return policies very carefully because some are too restrictive when buying something expensive. I generally only buy when there is an unconditional return policy of 7-14 days.

I really think the GOG stone would have to be seen. I agree that it could have potential. I also would love a champagne color diamond with a halo in addition to light yellow. But I think diamond color just has to be seen in person. That stone is larger than I could pull off, but if it was smaller, I would likely order it to look at because the price is pretty outstanding for the cut quality. And the guy does want to sell so I think the price is negotiable. And yes, Jon's videos are immensely helpful!

I wish that color wasn't such a subjective thing! I understand that everyone sees it differently, but I wish it were much simpler than that! It'd make communicating about diamonds so much easier!

and WHAT?! Larger than you can pull off? I didn't think PS-ers have that in their vocabulary! I guess I'm cursed and blessed with these size 8, pre-arthritic fatties. Hate em and love em all at the same time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that if you love Coati type pattering the IDJ and the OWD are going to be good options for you.
I'm excited for you. And I'm so glad you posted on here.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, for sure I will have to see them all unset before setting. Ack, setting, that's a whole 'nother topic to fret about, but I want to focus on worrying about the diamond FIRST, get this over with, then have SO actively involved with the setting. I won't let him touch the diamond! That's MY project :saint: Settings are replaceable, center stone is not.

How do I inspect them in different lights? I'll be meeting with Grace in a public indoor venue (safe, I'm assuming, since she chose the spot). I don't know what kind of lighting they have there inside, and I don't know how safe it is to bring it outdoors to see under natural daylight since it is at a public setting.

The prices are 29k, 18.1k, and I haven't asked about the price for the IDJ stone. I haven't even replied to him yet since I've been a bit frazzle dazzled all day.. I completely forgot! I'm shooting him an email right now, so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow for his response. :))

Grace just sent me a reminder email about this Friday, and said she has a few other contenders that she'll be bringing along. I'm excited. ::)[/quote]

I just brought settings up b/c I wasn't sure if you had something specific in mind that might steer you toward or away from the off-round JbEG specifically, but that doesn't sound like the case :bigsmile:

Lighting - okay, that's tougher in a public venue, likely limited space and I guess you don't want to make it obvious you're carrying a diamond around the floor! Hopefully you'll have some privacy, and *some* mobility and at least a couple of types of lighting to play with, but if not.. what I mean by "type of light" is that in some lights - spotlights - all diamonds show coloured light, in some lights like diffuse office light all diamonds are white and bright, in mixed types of lights diamonds with different proportions and faceting can behave differently, and by seeing the stones in different types of lights you could see if one stood out to you across a variety of lights...

In a pinch a sheet or two of plain white printer paper (the regular sort, not the ultra-white fluorescent/UV stuff) blocking the overhead lights can be "diffuse light" and a penlight like the type you'd put on a keychain pushed through the paper is a pretty good "spotlight". It's not perfect obviously - it's a very small area and there are other types of lights and colours around you - but it'll give you some idea! If you want to see "leakage" you can take some red paper or a red cloth and hold the stone face-up over it (not touching it) and look for areas of red through the stone. It can be kinda hard to see, since you're leaning over it and obstructing as well - I've cut eyeholes in white paper and looked and photographed through them, the paper prevents over-obstruction from leaning over at such close range, but I guess in a public venue you'd get some strange looks 8) Do wear white or grey (definitely nothing beige or yellow), and Grace will bring tweezers I'm sure but you might take a couple of alcohol wipes just in case it winds up getting touched before you examine first time round - you really want the stone to be spotless until you're ready to grubby it up for round two! Actually you might take a white hanky too, in case her display cases have black backgrounds - I find white much easier to judge against.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337748734|3201444 said:

As a caveat, again for the lurkers, the reality of ebay is that anyone can return anything for any reason ::) The "not as described" clause is pretty broad, and with old cuts in particular vendors are always off about something: color, carat estimates. Something. So a case could usually be made. I have bought a few things that were technically "no return" and returned one. On a purchase of $12k I would certainly make an offer contingent on an unconditional return. But, on the other hand, that diamond is no way an I-J so it seems to me a return would be no issue. Also, I would call ebay and ask them about how protection would work in that case where the seller clearly says they have a14 day money back guarantee and then sort of try and scare people off with that message in the actual listing. If someone is really keen on a deal then perhaps a little leg work and negotiatio with the seller is worth it. I know a few people who have bought on ebay for good deals who had to really WORK with the sellers to get them to agree to various terms, provide certain information, agree to x, y, z. It can pay off.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337749981|3201458 said:
I think that if you love Coati type pattering the IDJ and the OWD are going to be good options for you.
I'm excited for you. And I'm so glad you posted on here.

I agree and was actually going to say the ID stone is the closest to an AVR in patterning I think.

Yssie: Go to bed! And check your e-mail :sun:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES. Shop with me! I need your knowledge, and I'd be happy to pose with the colors for you ;-) I mean, I don't want to dismiss the "in between" colors YET, since I haven't seen a variety of them.. but I know for sure that I am definitely more than okay with the other 2 ends of the spectrum. I just don't know if a Q-R counts as an in-between, or a for-sure-this-thing-is-yellow. :wink2:

I wish, I'd love to see that stone in-person! If only you were at the other end of the country :devil:

AVR would be awesome as it'd take away any anxiety about the performance, however, it is out of my budget completely! I still want to prioritize a nice cut with an awesome pattern. I like that it reflects colorful chunky light over the splintery-er white flashes that a MRB does. I don't know how to explain it. I love MRBs, don't get me wrong, especially since the spread would be a little bit more.. and like Mara's thread, it's definitely easier to get find someone else to adopt it when it's time to move on. It's my 2nd choice for an E-Ring stone, and if I can't find a good OEC that I love in the next half year, or whenever the heck SO starts panicking because it's getting close to his Popping of the Q time, I'm giving up and getting a MRB.

My eyes love best the patterning in that 2.6 L, big and blocky.. and my favorite is the checkerboard-y look of coatimundi's tranny. However, I know it's IMPOSSIBLE to find my required stats regardless of patterning-type, so I guess I'll settle for any pattern as long as it's visually pleasing and is bright. I want it to be one of those described "it's always glowing, it never turns off"- type of stone.

I have no doubts that you'll find the perfect OEC ::) that does change my opinion a bit actually though, if "charm" (read: cute wonk) isn't really what you want! I'd probably skip the OWD - bit of nailhead? The GOG jumps to the top of my list, for two reasons - A) it really does look lovely, and B) the vendor is used to evaluating the stones the way that you want your stone to be evaluated - in terms of precision and clinical light return quantity and type. IDJ can as well but it's a less comprehensive evaluation (but def worth asking more about the stone and getting some scope pics!)
JbEG values different things - nothing wrong with either approach, they just have different priorities, but you're in a very good position to judge since you'll actually be seeing the stones in-person!

I have way too many dream setting ideas, from a folder of saved images to bookmarks of pages to pencil sketches that I did. I am okay with a temp setting, like a simpler solitaire with a few sidestones or whatnot for a few years. My ultimate "goal" setting is to have VC do an altered frankiextah + anne_h.. with a delicate delicate halo, and a basket with some sort of lotus in the metalwork. (My Chinese name has the character lotus in it, and I love the symbolism of something beautiful arising out of murky, dirty, gross water). I guess this also depends on what my centerstone will end up being, though. If it's too "big", I don't want a halo. If it's "just right", I'll stick a tasteful, delicate halo on it. The idea of it protecting the girdle also pleases me. I do have huge size 8 fingers, too, so I can get away with "gaudier" looks.

A delicate halo could be really pretty :love: VC does beautiful pave work but I would not recommend him for metalwork. If you want a setting with intricate metalwork my recommendation would be to contact LM and DBL (I've worked with DBL, I would trust LM as well) or, if you're looking for something more whimsical, Mike of RDG is a great guy (they're in NZ)

Do you think it'd be "yellow enough" if it were to be stuck with a gold cup though? Or would it still be in that in between zone?[/quote][/quote]

No idea, I've never seen one IRL!! It would definitely look yellower if you put it in a halo, with the tiny white melee for contrast, but whether that's yellow enough for you is the question!

Dreamer - going, going!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1337748070|3201439 said:
diamondseeker2006|1337745604|3201425 said:

Yup, this one. This would give me plenty of "room" left from my budget to go for my ultimate dream setting. I don't mind waiting for my dream setting until way later.. but it's always nice to save $.

I'm wondering if the Q-R grade + a yellow cup would make a nice light light sunshine yellow? Then added with a very very delicate halo in ice white diamonds to contrast with it? I can totally dig that.

I just love how Jon provides such detailed videos. I wish all vendors had such detailed videos!

I'm chiming in late here, but if I recall correctly the GOG one also has a inclusion on the table. I don't think it shows up in photos but I could see it in the video--and someone else here noticed it too--now who was that--they recently purchased a larger OEC???--Bright Ice maybe? I wonder if Bright Ice saw that GOG one in person--might be good to ask. Plus, the seller has stated that the diamond never appeared yellow to him when set in platinum--maybe it was bezel set where the sides didn't show--because any reasonable person would assume that a QR will most certainly show color. Before I'd move on that one I'd want to see it put into a halo to see if you can get the yellow result you want--not sure if GOG has any semi mount halos laying around the store--but at least I'd want to see it surrounded by smaller high color diamonds to get the idea of how it's going to look. All that being said, it does have my favorite faceting pattern. :)

Edit to add: Okay, look at the video at 51 seconds, 115-117 seconds and specially at 134 seconds and you will see the inclusion on the table at the 2-3 o'clock position. If you place your cursor over the slider thing you can see frame by frame and the second related to each frame. I didn't look at the video and further but you might be able to see it more is you watch the entire video.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you decided to expand for more help madelise!

I'm glad you ruled the 2.89 JBEG out, I told you yesterday that I didn't love that one either. :bigsmile:

The one thing I am going to say about the GOG stone is this: I think you should consider having the 3.07 Q from GOG brought in for you to see with your own eyes. You have mentioned that one to me several times and your ONLY qualm is the color. Maybe it WILL be yellow enough for your liking in person. You won't know if you don't check. It seems to check most of your boxes (size, price, spread, performance, and knowing clarity is the least important to you, I don't think that inclusion will bother *you*). Not to mention it leaves PLENTY of room for you to get THE setting out the gate. GOG has a GREAT return policy and you DO get a lot more information from him out the gate than some of the other vendors. Call him. Talk to Jon about the stone. He will give you honest feedback. He should be able to tell you if you can enhance the yellow, etc. It's well within budget, bring it in and discuss it with a local independent appraiser.

I agree that even though AVRs aren't for everyone, if it were in budget that it MAY be for you since you wouldn't have the anxiety of performance, color, etc. This 3.07 has been on consignment for a LONG time now. They may even be up for negotiations at this point. Wont' know if you don't ask.

Of the others, I personally quite like the 2.6 L at JBEG. I have a feeling it's going to be too in between for *you* (not white enough, not yellow enough) and it's a bit wonkier than I think you and your FF will be okay with since he was originally hung up on precision MRB. I don't see him going for it.

I can't wait to hear what you think about all the baubles they're bringing to show you though! Listen to your gut. This is too big a purchase to feel rushed. Take your sweet time. Dreamer is right, it may take awhile to find, but there will ALWAYS be more diamonds. This is NOT a purchase you want to regret later.

ETA: Also take Gypsy's advice and contact Perry to see what he can source. He does a LOT of the antique cushions and OECs for Leon's pieces. It's definitely worth a call to him too. OECs are a totally different ballgame than MRBs as you know. It's not something where you can necessarily just go with your favorite vendor and know that they can all more/less get the same precision cut hearts and arrows. They all have different contacts and can likely find you different unique choices. Call them all (not necessarily all at once! ;-) )

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, in class, I'll get back to the last few comments when I'm back home in a few hours. But I wanted to alert that I made a big booboo. The one from IDJ is a GIA K. I had emailed him for better pictures, and asked for his honest opinion regarding color in comparison to a GIA color, without realizing it's already a GIA! He says he has no doubt it would get graded a G to H by EGL.

and the price gives me quite a bit of space to get my dream setting :)

I'll upload the new pictures he has emailed me when I get home. I need your expert advice!

and I wanted to comment that though I'd love to connect with more vendors for a bigger variety of choices, I don't want to get too confused. I want to first work with what's at hand, and *if* it doesn't work out, I'll go seek out Perry. Having Adam, Grace AND Yuketiel searching for me is already enough for me to handle considering my current anxiety :loopy:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a GIA K and he thinks EGL would grade it a G-H? Is EGL really *that* lenient? Really looking forward to additional pics of that stone!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337786604|3201643 said:
Sorry, in class, I'll get back to the last few comments when I'm back home in a few hours. But I wanted to alert that I made a big booboo. The one from IDJ is a GIA K. I had emailed him for better pictures, and asked for his honest opinion regarding color in comparison to a GIA color, without realizing it's already a GIA! He says he has no doubt it would get graded a G to H by EGL.

and the price gives me quite a bit of space to get my dream setting :)

I'll upload the new pictures he has emailed me when I get home. I need your expert advice!

and I wanted to comment that though I'd love to connect with more vendors for a bigger variety of choices, I don't want to get too confused. I want to first work with what's at hand, and *if* it doesn't work out, I'll go seek out Perry. Having Adam, Grace AND Yuketiel searching for me is already enough for me to handle considering my current anxiety :loopy:
I think the IDJ one might be headed to the top of the list. A great price, pretty faceting, and GIA K? Sounds pretty promising to me!

audball

Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1337787294|3201651 said:
I think the IDJ one might be headed to the top of the list. A great price, pretty faceting, and GIA K? Sounds pretty promising to me!
Agreed! Interesting turn of events! Can't wait to see the extra photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results