clarity

Calling Dreamer_D and Yssie and other old cut lovers~

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337707332|3200979 said:
madelise|1337706962|3200973 said:
Dreamer_D|1337706178|3200954 said:
The first stone has a fish eye. If they allowed you a two week inspection maybe chance it to determine if the fish eye was apparent in person, or if a girdle polish would remove it -- fish eye is sometimes a rough girdle reflection. But with no returnsies, pass.

The 2.67 is worth further evaluation. I am not super optimistic because it is not a make I *personally* prefer -- I like a smaller table and more precise facet pattern. But if it is priced well and you see it in person and like it, then that could be a winner.

The tranny is just not a nice make for me, I would pass.

The 3.13 J at OWD has a very large table inclusion. I would not be ok with that. Otherwise worth further evaluation.

This is my favourite stone in terms of cut that JBEG have. It is tinted, and likely lower than L, but cut trumps all in my opinion:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/260ct-Old-European-Cut-OEC/21994229_p3XQkm#!i=1754541490&k=d4G5wZ9

Thanks for responding, DreamerD. And for the lovely drawing and explanation. I do agree that I like that pattern on the L, and I don't even know how to explain WHY since I'm not knowledgable.. but it is very pleasing to the eye. But I'm trying to get to the golden 9mm, and I don't know if I'm okay with an L. I haven't seen anything lower than a J, minus one poorly cut O-P. Grace is bringing along that exact diamond for me to see, just to get a feel for my color sensitivity. I kind of actually do like that off-round look to it, too. Almost cushion-y.

Well then let your eyes pick. Pass on the pressure-tactic diamond ring and then educate your eyes and go from there. You are in SUCH an enviable position to see stones in person!

I have seen many old cuts and fully love the cushiony oldies. I think that stone is fairly tinted, a low EGL L perhaps. Whether that will matter or not to you... wait and see. Big old cuts are RARE indeed, well cut ones even more so, high color ones almost impossible to find.

:sick: it seems like there are a lot of buyers at this moment looking for the same thing I am looking for. Oh how I wish that OEC on consignment at GOG was a lighter color grade!

I just shot off an email to Adam asking about the inclusion on that J.

ETA: oh, and I don't trust my own eyes! After a while, I start seeing doubles, and everything just looks pretty to me. It's not until months later that I regret trusting my eyes. I can't risk that with this purchase! :errrr:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then you need to slow down and create a situation where you can allow yourself time to process a diamond and decide your own tastes.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Mad, I would tell the seller of the first stone that you are VERY interested, but are concerned for the fish and and would want to see how it performed prior to purchasing it, otherwise you will pass. This may make her play nice.

I can't wait to see how you feel about the stones at JBEG! If she lets you take video, that was very helpful for me when I looked at my stones after seeing them in person

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the party!

I don't like the first one either, but I would disagree with previous posters - I have a half-carater with a nasty case of fish eye and I don't believe that's what I'm seeing in the photos of the first one, just run of the mill leakage. I don't like the way they're trying to sell it - I'd send them a very point-blank message with terms of sale I am comfortable with, and if I didn't get a very point-blank response I'd go elsewhere.

I would scratch the 2.89 JbEG off right away as Gypsy said - that definitely *is* fish eye, and if it's that visible at such a small tilt angle through even the one-eyed camera... yikes!
(In my experience fish eye is much worse w/ two eyes than in pics b/c your left and right eyes pick up the effect on both sides of the table from different angles and mush them together into one image)

TBH I don't like the 2.67 JbEG either - same issues Dreamer points out, though it does look like a *bright* stone. If the OWD is clean that's my pick of the lot so far.
ETA: or the last JbEG - the 2.60 L :sun:

jbegfisheye.png

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert I just LOVE the 2.60 JbEG :love: :love: No opinions on anything else. I just like the look of the diamond!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm ... out of all of them, I think I like the could-be-a-Singlestone ring most, but I tend to like warmth. The same seller priced a G, I1 with an EGL cert at 11K - it seems unlikely that an uncerted but honest I-J SI1 would be going for only 2K more. But it still looks like a pretty stone - might be worth contacting them to ask for better photos? It appears that they have a two week return policy, so it might be worth taking a look in person IF you like the cut.

As for the whole shopping process - honestly, my advice? Take it slow. I'm getting the sense from your posts that you're at the point I was at about two weeks before I found my stone: the point where it felt more like work than fun to shop for it, and where it was stressing me out. But, strictly speaking? Shopping for an incredibly beautiful luxury item on a generous budget, knowing you can afford to buy almost anything that strikes your fancy ... that's a treat. Milk every second of it for everything it's worth.

Will see if I can hunt down any additional candidates - am ballparking your requirements at J or above, SI range, and about, what, 29kish if the JBEG pieces are at the upper range?

P.S. - Apologies if any of the above is presumptuous - though I do stand behind it. :rodent:

p.p.S. - e.t.a: got interupted for a couple of hours while I was typing -ooo, now that I take a closer look at that L, that IS a well cut stone! If you could get past the warmth (unplated white gold? warm melee?) that could make a niiiiiiiiiiiice ring ....

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
With the new options brought up in this thread, I think either the jbeg 2.60(gorgeous) or the eBay ring(very pretty and good price) are the best options.

Eta-with regards to 2.67, I don't know why, but there is still something I love about that diamond I love. I think the way it picks up colors around it is cool. Also, yes, I am almost100% sure it is the same diamond in the album I linked. It is listed as a K there because at the time it was only GIA graded, and GIA graded a K. Plus Erica spoke about this ring/diamond on another forum, linking to this album and then discussing how she was resetting it into the Bella Halo. If you are still considering this diamond, just ask Grace and Erica, they will let you know about the diamond and which albums it is in.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
I like only the OEC one from JBEG out of all three.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know someone who was considering that 2.60c JBEG stone and I thought it was a freaking knockout from a performance perspective. I had drool ALL OVER. If I wasn't holding out for more size, I would totally be all over that stone. I agree that it may be a little warmer than L though...so if you think that might bother you, def think about it.

I think I've seen that first stone on eBay, is it something like a 2.8c? Can't remember... but with no return policy I'd pass too. Decisions of this $$$ are too big to make with no return policy, can you negotiate something?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337708284|3200996 said:
Then you need to slow down and create a situation where you can allow yourself time to process a diamond and decide your own tastes.

Yes, I think so too. It's all just so.. whirlwind-y, and emotional for me. I want to get it over with, but at the same time I want to find my "One".

I think I've made my mind up that the first ring's juju is no good. I don't want my future forever e-ring to carry nervousness or reminders of anything negative.

I just wish searching for an old cut was a lot easier.

If anyone bumps into any 9mm+ contenders out there, eye clean, in a K or lower color.. please please send me a nudge~

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mico|1337722109|3201138 said:
Mad, I would tell the seller of the first stone that you are VERY interested, but are concerned for the fish and and would want to see how it performed prior to purchasing it, otherwise you will pass. This may make her play nice.

I can't wait to see how you feel about the stones at JBEG! If she lets you take video, that was very helpful for me when I looked at my stones after seeing them in person

Heh. My name's mad. Right now I feel quite mad! As in crazy! :razz:

I think I'll pass on this one. I just really DON'T like feeling rushed. It doesn't sit happy for me. And the thought of ripping it out of someone else's hands.. kind of freaks me out.

I can't wait til I meet Grace, either. I think I need to talk to a sane and NICE, non-rushy vendor to help ease me back into my search.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1337722855|3201149 said:
I'm late to the party!

I don't like the first one either, but I would disagree with previous posters - I have a half-carater with a nasty case of fish eye and I don't believe that's what I'm seeing in the photos of the first one, just run of the mill leakage. I don't like the way they're trying to sell it - I'd send them a very point-blank message with terms of sale I am comfortable with, and if I didn't get a very point-blank response I'd go elsewhere.

I would scratch the 2.89 JbEG off right away as Gypsy said - that definitely *is* fish eye, and if it's that visible at such a small tilt angle through even the one-eyed camera... yikes!
(In my experience fish eye is much worse w/ two eyes than in pics b/c your left and right eyes pick up the effect on both sides of the table from different angles and mush them together into one image)

TBH I don't like the 2.67 JbEG either - same issues Dreamer points out, though it does look like a *bright* stone. If the OWD is clean that's my pick of the lot so far.
ETA: or the last JbEG - the 2.60 L :sun:

jbegfisheye.png

Thanks for joining the party, Yssie :)

I agree, I think the tummy ache- type nervousness and rushing in the last few days really turned me off on the first one's seller. I don't think I want to deal with the rushy rushy-ness at all. And since there's no great return policy, methinks not.

I'll update with pics and such for any more that I bump into.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1337724307|3201164 said:
I'm no expert I just LOVE the 2.60 JbEG :love: :love: No opinions on anything else. I just like the look of the diamond!

I love the cut on it too, I'm just not sure if I can go with an L! Eeks! and I'm aiming for a bit larger of a spread, too..

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1337724448|3201166 said:
Hm ... out of all of them, I think I like the could-be-a-Singlestone ring most, but I tend to like warmth. The same seller priced a G, I1 with an EGL cert at 11K - it seems unlikely that an uncerted but honest I-J SI1 would be going for only 2K more. But it still looks like a pretty stone - might be worth contacting them to ask for better photos? It appears that they have a two week return policy, so it might be worth taking a look in person IF you like the cut.

As for the whole shopping process - honestly, my advice? Take it slow. I'm getting the sense from your posts that you're at the point I was at about two weeks before I found my stone: the point where it felt more like work than fun to shop for it, and where it was stressing me out. But, strictly speaking? Shopping for an incredibly beautiful luxury item on a generous budget, knowing you can afford to buy almost anything that strikes your fancy ... that's a treat. Milk every second of it for everything it's worth.

Will see if I can hunt down any additional candidates - am ballparking your requirements at J or above, SI range, and about, what, 29kish if the JBEG pieces are at the upper range?

P.S. - Apologies if any of the above is presumptuous - though I do stand behind it. :rodent:

p.p.S. - e.t.a: got interupted for a couple of hours while I was typing -ooo, now that I take a closer look at that L, that IS a well cut stone! If you could get past the warmth (unplated white gold? warm melee?) that could make a niiiiiiiiiiiice ring ....

Bolded part- spot on! I'm freaking out. It's super stressful and emotional for me. I am not the type of person to run into this budget, ever, and I guess that's part of the treat AND stress. I guess I feel like if I screwed up on a 1k purchase, it's fine. This type of $ calls for me to be calm and sane.. which I'm kind of not! :wink2:

I appreciate your offer of hunting anything down. 30k is the budget, but we're willing to stretch a tiny tad if it's for some miraculous pot o' gold at the end of rainbow, and leprechauns dancing around type of diamond. This is for the diamond, not for the setting. I'm okay with K's so far, too. Anything warmer, I'm not "sure of" until I see the 2.6 JbEG this Friday. However, I am okay with MUCH warmer. If I'm able to stick a yellow cup on something to have something sunny looking, I'd be happy. I guess I want it either white or yellow, not anything in between. I'm aiming for a 9mm+ for my size 8 fingers.

No apologies needed, you're spot on. I need to relax, this SHOULD be fun. I just can't get myself to relax until I find "the One". And I think the previous vendor only made my anxiety worse.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1337724990|3201172 said:
With the new options brought up in this thread, I think either the jbeg 2.60(gorgeous) or the eBay ring(very pretty and good price) are the best options.

Eta-with regards to 2.67, I don't know why, but there is still something I love about that diamond I love. I think the way it picks up colors around it is cool. Also, yes, I am almost100% sure it is the same diamond in the album I linked. It is listed as a K there because at the time it was only GIA graded, and GIA graded a K. Plus Erica spoke about this ring/diamond on another forum, linking to this album and then discussing how she was resetting it into the Bella Halo. If you are still considering this diamond, just ask Grace and Erica, they will let you know about the diamond and which albums it is in.

Grace is bringing that particular diamond to our meet, so I'll still get to see the baby live in action. :)) The only thing making me weary is that center going dark- thing. And, that it's slightly under the 9mm mark I'd like to hit

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara|1337732121|3201256 said:
I know someone who was considering that 2.60c JBEG stone and I thought it was a freaking knockout from a performance perspective. I had drool ALL OVER. If I wasn't holding out for more size, I would totally be all over that stone. I agree that it may be a little warmer than L though...so if you think that might bother you, def think about it.

I think I've seen that first stone on eBay, is it something like a 2.8c? Can't remember... but with no return policy I'd pass too. Decisions of this $$$ are too big to make with no return policy, can you negotiate something?

It is a beautiful cut indeed! I just don't know if I can handle the L or not, and of course, the size.

the first one is a 3.16. I don't think I'll bother negotiating further. I just don't feel comfortable with her anymore :sick:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, I think I got back to each and every comment. Thank you ladies for giving me your opinions. I can't talk about this stuff IRL and it drives me mad. I've already out-talked my SO, who is getting :confused: from all my talk. I don't think he knows left from right anymore when it comes to diamonds. And I think if I keep obsessing and stressing, he might just ban me from the search altogether, and just revert to finding a modern RB for me.

Let me add another one to the mix. This is from Yuketiel.

3.01 K SI2

10755 zoom pic.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
why do vendors take such bad pics? it bugs me, haha! the table looks pretty largo on that baby... what's the grade setting inclusion?

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
That one looks like a nice transitional to me. I would guess crown is 60% or close and the color is warmer then a K (O-P ?). I have a similar one from ebay seller Nikki_knows_good_stuff and although it returns less fire that earlier OECs (due to larger and lower crown) the make of it and contrast makes it an amazing performer. So I would explore this one more.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
madelise|1337733749|3201274 said:
Phew, I think I got back to each and every comment. Thank you ladies for giving me your opinions. I can't talk about this stuff IRL and it drives me mad. I've already out-talked my SO, who is getting :confused: from all my talk. I don't think he knows left from right anymore when it comes to diamonds. And I think if I keep obsessing and stressing, he might just ban me from the search altogether, and just revert to finding a modern RB for me.

3.01 K SI2

Oh, I LIKE this - it looks more like a transitional than an old cut, but it's a pretty one. Am I seeing some twinning wisps in there? Magnified 8000 times they're visible, but in person I bet they're subtle. Who is it on here who has a stone with twinning wisps - was it Yssie's trade-in stone, the one she had before her current one? That was an AWESOME rock.

But, Mara's right ... that pic could go either way. Maybe ask him if he could take a few others from different angles?

madelise said:
... Grace is bringing that particular diamond to our meet, so I'll still get to see the baby live in action. :)) The only thing making me weary is that center going dark- thing. And, that it's slightly under the 9mm mark I'd like to hit

Re: the question of stones going dark ... this is something that I was just trying to puzzle out with Dreamer's advice in my SMTB thread, and that was sort of addressed in Mara's RT thread from earlier in the week. If it goes dark to the point of being a nailhead, boo! But if it's what I think it is - where the center facets go on-off, on-off in the light? I actually sort of like it in an old cut. See how it performs in person and whether it pleases your eye ....

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara|1337734137|3201281 said:
why do vendors take such bad pics? it bugs me, haha! the table looks pretty largo on that baby... what's the grade setting inclusion?

I think you're asking for what the inclusions are, right? Here's the cert:

Attachments

• 1075005.tif
    69.8 KB · Views: 464

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
InnaR|1337734434|3201291 said:
That one looks like a nice transitional to me. I would guess crown is 60% or close and the color is warmer then a K (O-P ?). I have a similar one from ebay seller Nikki_knows_good_stuff and although it returns less fire that earlier OECs (due to larger and lower crown) the make of it and contrast makes it an amazing performer. So I would explore this one more.

That seller is the exact seller I've been contacting re: the very first ring I posted.

Everyone: Do you think that GOG consignment store one will look good in a yellow cup? Like will it look yellow instead of ivory-ish? That one's just so under-budget that it'd let me get a great setting rather than put off buying a nicer setting for a while.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1337734821|3201298 said:

3.01 K SI2

Oh, I LIKE this - it looks more like a transitional than an old cut, but it's a pretty one. Am I seeing some twinning wisps in there? Magnified 8000 times they're visible, but in person I bet they're subtle. Who is it on here who has a stone with twinning wisps - was it Yssie's trade-in stone, the one she had before her current one? That was an AWESOME rock.

But, Mara's right ... that pic could go either way. Maybe ask him if he could take a few others from different angles?

madelise said:
... Grace is bringing that particular diamond to our meet, so I'll still get to see the baby live in action. :)) The only thing making me weary is that center going dark- thing. And, that it's slightly under the 9mm mark I'd like to hit

Re: the question of stones going dark ... this is something that I was just trying to puzzle out with Dreamer's advice in my SMTB thread, and that was sort of addressed in Mara's RT thread from earlier in the week. If it goes dark to the point of being a nailhead, boo! But if it's what I think it is - where the center facets go on-off, on-off in the light? I actually sort of like it in an old cut. See how it performs in person and whether it pleases your eye ....

Twinning wisps are the "it" inclusion to have, no? I've seen a few people with gorgeous SI2s with twinning wisps. I'm not a total clarity-anal person, and prefer to go larger in terms of size and higher in color than to fret over finding a VS2+. Yes, it's nice, but it's lower on my "needs" list. I'll ask Yuketiel to take pics of it in different lighting and from different angles.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

3.01 K SI2
I am in the same boat as you, I hav no one to talk to in real life. I think if I bring up my upgrade one more time my husband might go nuts. :loopy:

The diamond from Yuketiel looks stunning!! Wow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay good.

Dreamer confirmed the fish eye. I wasn't sure if it was girdle reflection or not, and that seller edits her pics. That's why I suggested meeting at the appraiser's office with her to have him check out the stone. I like the Yekutiel stone from the pic, I can't get the certificate to load, what is the table on that. Unfortunately his pic taking is... well, personally I'd ask another PSer to go to ID and take pics for you... LMAO. I think it's a contender though, if you like it as Yekutiel if he will send it to Patrick's office for you (without you buying it, just paying shipping both ways). That way you can see it in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the OWD stone.... Dreamer and Yssie why didn't you guys like that one. I think it's warmer than J and the table isn't tiny, but it's got a lovely crown and pretty faceting?

If it were me with the way things stand. I'd ask Adam and Yekutiel to send their stones to Patrick (appraiser) and go see them in person and have Patrick talk to you about them.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1337735436|3201313 said:

3.01 K SI2
I am in the same boat as you, I hav no one to talk to in real life. I think if I bring up my upgrade one more time my husband might go nuts. :loopy:

The diamond from Yuketiel looks stunning!! Wow.

haha, lets huddle and whine together!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337735953|3201321 said:
I like the OWD stone.... Dreamer and Yssie why didn't you guys like that one. I think it's warmer than J and the table isn't tiny, but it's got a lovely crown and pretty faceting?

If it were me with the way things stand. I'd ask Adam and Yekutiel to send their stones to Patrick (appraiser) and go see them in person and have Patrick talk to you about them.

Seems to have a huge inclusion on the table, which you know I cannot stomach!

I agree with those contenders, and perhaps a JBEG stone if you see them and love them.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1337735547|3201315 said:
Okay good.

Dreamer confirmed the fish eye. I wasn't sure if it was girdle reflection or not, and that seller edits her pics. That's why I suggested meeting at the appraiser's office with her to have him check out the stone. I like the Yekutiel stone from the pic, I can't get the certificate to load, what is the table on that. Unfortunately his pic taking is... well, personally I'd ask another PSer to go to ID and take pics for you... LMAO. I think it's a contender though, if you like it as Yekutiel if he will send it to Patrick's office for you (without you buying it, just paying shipping both ways). That way you can see it in person.

Strange it won't load. Is it loading for everyone else? Table is 58%.

Lol, any NY-based PS-er want to go scoping for me? :naughty: I have some family in NY, but again, I feel awkward with people IRL knowing anything about the $ behind it.

Update: SO has officially ruled out any eBay vendor. He's an eBay seller, and has experiences that has ruined his trust in other sellers, and the trust in eBay and Paypal backing up any protection. I don't agree, as there are a few layers of protection: the credit card company, the Paypal AND the eBay.. but it's his money I'm playing with. He wants to deal with a very PS loved and known vendor that is well trusted from many people's experiences.. without shady attitudes :devil: and strange stories.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1337737187|3201344 said:
Gypsy|1337735953|3201321 said:

Seems to have a huge inclusion on the table, which you know I cannot stomach!

I agree with those contenders, and perhaps a JBEG stone if you see them and love them.

Oh that thing? It's a little birthmark. If it's not eyevisible it wouldn't bother me in the least. But it may be visible, in which case no.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results