shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Dreamer_D and Yssie and other old cut lovers~

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have to agree that the video did not "wow" me. It may be the poor quality of the vid, but... it's probably more than that. My first reaction (though I'm not an expert) was: "wait... where's the cute small table?"

Also, I'll risk sounding a bit like a weirdo, but I was thinking over your possibilities while doing the dishes... I'm like you in that I prefer either whiter stones, or something truly yellow (or preferably brown, like cognac color). But, if I were you, I would not go for a bright yellow style for your ering. You mentioned that this is going to be *the one,* no changes or upgrades. Because of this, I'd make it on the whiter side. Who knows if you'll still like the yellow in a couple years? Instead, you should get your totally dream stone now, and then in a couple years get a nice, bright yellow RHR :bigsmile:

Ok, I think I'll end my rant here. Good luck with your decisions!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1337820014|3202157 said:
madelise here is my honest opinion. I think you have akiller budget. But you are emphasizing the 9mm mark so much that it is meaning you have to compromise color or clarity too much (compromising cut s of course not an issue ;)) ). If you drop a teensy bit in size you can get everything you want -- cut, 100% eye clean, the color you want, the setting you want! Don't you think its worth it??

Ditto to this - I realized a while ago that, even with a lot of loot to play with, I could wind up feeling like a frustrated poor relation. Part of that is just PS, where there is ALWAYS a bigger, better diamond ... but part of it is the deal-hunting mentality. I like to maximize my money as much as the next girl, but sometimes it's nice to pick the best thing within the parameters, if only for the sake of my piece of mind!

I do think the illusion a setting provides can make all the difference - my stone is 8.8, but the box setting fills in the corners and makes it feel bigger. I bet a halo will make your stone feel bigger yet ....

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
armywife13|1337821068|3202170 said:
After watching the video of the IDJ stone, I have to agree with you, I can see the inclusions easily. I completely understand wanting to hit the 9 mm mark (fellow size 8 finger here!). But I agree with Dreamer, if that is your top priority, you will have to compromise a little more with color or clarity than I think you are comfortable with at the moment. Also, it sounds like you want a VC halo for the setting, so if you go down a tiny bit in size, you will still get some amazing finger coverage plus the color and clarity you want. I wouldn't stress too much yet, When you meet with Grace, I think you be able to see what in person the color and clarity you are comfortable with and go from there.

Ditto. I tried to maximize spread too but it compromised cut. An awesome halo made up the small difference in spread I gave up and I'm so happy I went with a better stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
webdiva|1337822398|3202189 said:
After watching the video of the IDJ stone, I have to agree with you, I can see the inclusions easily. I completely understand wanting to hit the 9 mm mark (fellow size 8 finger here!). But I agree with Dreamer, if that is your top priority, you will have to compromise a little more with color or clarity than I think you are comfortable with at the moment. Also, it sounds like you want a VC halo for the setting, so if you go down a tiny bit in size, you will still get some amazing finger coverage plus the color and clarity you want. I wouldn't stress too much yet, When you meet with Grace, I think you be able to see what in person the color and clarity you are comfortable with and go from there.

Ditto. I tried to maximize spread too but it compromised cut. An awesome halo made up the small difference in spread I gave up and I'm so happy I went with a better stone.

I'm just seeing the video now and I have to say I think Dreamer's spot on too - the stills are really pretty but for whatever reason they aren't showing what the video does. The proportions might hint at possibility of issues but it could've gone either way - the video seems to show which way it went, I'm seeing everything Dreamer points out in the video too.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I also don't like the IDJ stone. Maybe send and email to Adam and ask him about any other 9mm+ possibilites, if that 3.13 isn't eyeclean? I'm sure you'll find the right stone for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking that if Mara doesn't buy that rounder stone of her two stones you should see about buying that puppy.

I'm a poor video taker. I think the IDJ stone was badly videoed and that holder that Yekuteil is using to me makes the pavilion facets look darker. I had one for a while and played with it and the stones always looked darker under the table when they were in that holder.

That said. I agree with Dreamer. Sacrifice a small amount of spread for a lot of peace of mind. Or go down in color a lot.

audball

Ideal_Rock
This is a total bummer, but I have to agree with the others. The table is HUGE and the video was underwhelming. I do agree that since this is your forever stone, I'd probably want to go white and not yellow and no visible inclusions. The halo of your dreams is going to give it so much presence. Maybe aim for the 8.5mm spread and get everything you want. It's going to look HUGE no matter what.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1337867803|3202532 said:
This is a total bummer, but I have to agree with the others. The table is HUGE and the video was underwhelming. I do agree that since this is your forever stone, I'd probably want to go white and not yellow and no visible inclusions. The halo of your dreams is going to give it so much presence. Maybe aim for the 8.5mm spread and get everything you want. It's going to look HUGE no matter what.

FF also threw that out there when I was searching, let your VERY warm stone be a play ring and your E ring be sparkling "white". I too want a very warm stone or a whiter stone, and we had this debate. In the end it's up to you and you alone as to what you will prefer.

audball

Ideal_Rock
This is huge. Just going to throw it out there. ASET looks great for a true old cut. And it's 10mm. It's a tad over budget, but there may be some room for negotiating. Doesn't hurt to ask if you love it. Looks like it faces up really white for an M.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8391/

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
Hi All -

I was just in IDJ looking at some jackets and Yekutial showed me the stone in question. I have actually never purchased from IDJ and have no motivation for sharing this other than to try to shed some first hand knowledge.
1. The stone is GIA certified, I saw the certificate myself
2. It faces up incredibly white. I wear an H stone in my e-ring and I would have guessed this would be a GIA I/J. It is warm but not buttery.
3. Honestly, I would not have been surprised if told that it was a VS1. I looped the stone and could not find any inclusions.
4. Lastly, it looks extraordinary. With old cut stones, so much is how these things look in real life. And it has beautiful small petal shaped facets, a really nice sized crown, and just comes across as a one in a million OEC.

I hadn't read this thread before and did not go into IDJ to look at the stone, I mentioned my love of old cuts and he showed it to me. I hadn't even mentioned that I was a pricescoper. Hope this helps.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EmmaJoy|1337874573|3202657 said:
Hi All -

I was just in IDJ looking at some jackets and Yekutial showed me the stone in question. I have actually never purchased from IDJ and have no motivation for sharing this other than to try to shed some first hand knowledge.
2. It faces up incredibly white. I wear an H stone in my e-ring and I would have guessed this would be a GIA I/J. It is warm but not buttery.
3. Honestly, I would not have been surprised if told that it was a VS1. I looped the stone and could not find any inclusions.
4. Lastly, it looks extraordinary. With old cut stones, so much is how these things look in real life. And it has beautiful small petal shaped facets, a really nice sized crown, and just comes across as a one in a million OEC.

I hadn't read this thread before and did not go into IDJ to look at the stone, I mentioned my love of old cuts and he showed it to me. I hadn't even mentioned that I was a pricescoper. Hope this helps.

Wow Emma, this should be helpful to madelise, it was nice of you to share your thoughts!

Is anybody else getting a little confused in this thread lol? Audball mentioned a stone with a huge table - I think she was referring to the ID diamond? IIRC, the table is 58% (am I right on that?) and if so, I don't think that's a bad table size.

Idk, going by Emma's comments I think the IDJ stone is worth a look-see!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1337877914|3202685 said:
Hi All -

Wow Emma, this should be helpful to madelise, it was nice of you to share your thoughts!

Is anybody else getting a little confused in this thread lol? Audball mentioned a stone with a huge table - I think she was referring to the ID diamond? IIRC, the table is 58% (am I right on that?) and if so, I don't think that's a bad table size.

58% is large for an older cut, but not the largest for sure JuneBug.

EmmaJoy have you seen many other old cuts in person? Just curious whether you have samples to compare the stone to, in your own mind :)) First hand impressions of old cuts are *always* more valuable than pictures and video! So Madelise may want to give your opinion a lot of weight! My only thought is that most old cuts look pretty, it is only when you have in your mind or in front of you examples of a few different cut styles that you can see differnces in appearance and light play, and determine your own tastes!

Buying old cuts remotely like this is so much more challenging than buying modern RBs. I think one has to accept the idea that they will have to blindly trust their vendor (well, not blindly, but you know what I mean) or else pay to have multiple stones sent to view at one time.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1337878872|3202701 said:

EmmaJoy have you seen many other old cuts in person? Just curious whether you have samples to compare the stone to, in your own mind :)) First hand impressions of old cuts are *always* more valuable than pictures and video! So Madelise may want to give your opinion a lot of weight! My only thought is that most old cuts look pretty, it is only when you have in your mind or in front of you examples of a few different cut styles that you can see differnces in appearance and light play, and determine your own tastes!

Buying old cuts remotely like this is so much more challenging than buying modern RBs. I think one has to accept the idea that they will have to blindly trust their vendor (well, not blindly, but you know what I mean) or else pay to have multiple stones sent to view at one time.
Exactly. I wasn't thinking anything so extreme like "holy hell you could land a plane on that table!" but it did seem larger than I would have expected for an OEC. I like the teeny tiny tables and high crowns.

And good question, Dreamer. I think old cuts are particularly mesmerizing, but I haven't seen many in person so I know my own personal account wouldn't mean much.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yanno it's interesting. I've seen a fair amt of OEC's in all diff shapes, sizes, trannys, more modern OEC's, early OEC's, OMC's...etc. They all perform so differently. Having 2 with me right now it's just amazing how diff even these 2 are. I could make a huge list of the differences, or as some might say pros and cons.

If one of these had arrived and not the other, I'd probably say WOW this is great I'll go with this. I wouldn't even think that it was lacking in any way or another. They are both amazing. But different. I would venture to say that most people would not be 'disappointed' with a well cut OEC that exhibits most of the typical charateristics, but when you start to compare them to each other, it can get really difficult. It's hard to say 'forever stone' when it comes to OEC for me because I really want to sample them all. :naughty:

EmmaJoy

Rough_Rock
Well, I own two OMC rings inherited from my grandmother (though, my e-ring is a LM five stone with an emerald center). However, and probably more importantly, I work close to the diamond district and often peruse the stores on my break. And I'm not shy about asking to try things on and loop them. All I can say is that I think if you are looking for a well cut OEC at, this is a really good choice. It was completely eye clean and sparkles like mad. Clearly this is just my two cents, but if I had the money I would have tried to snatch that stone up!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1337820014|3202157 said:
madelise here is my honest opinion. I think you have akiller budget. But you are emphasizing the 9mm mark so much that it is meaning you have to compromise color or clarity too much (compromising cut s of course not an issue ;)) ). If you drop a teensy bit in size you can get everything you want -- cut, 100% eye clean, the color you want, the setting you want! Don't you think its worth it??

Haha you're always spot on. but I've just always dreamed of later upgrading to a 10mm in life. Call me gaudy, that's one of my top "purchase dreams"-- to have a honker like I see on many women IRL. I've always been attracted to anything glittery or studded in Swarovskis. This is the ultimate sparkly in life. Now a 10mm might just be completely impossible to purchase ;)) so I guess I always tried to push as close to that mark as possible. You're right though.. but my heart yearns to find some magical unicorn OEC, one that's a J-L color with Strong Blue fluo, that can play around and change from slightly warm to white in different lightings. (That 3.56 on JbEG's and the Blue line from BGD's colors are :-o to me! I have this crazy idea of putting it in a halo with alternating fluo pattern.. haha!)

I guess I also thought of the 9mm mark because, well, my "dream ring" is the frankiextah in terms of finger coverage on my much larger bad boys. I asked on her thread what size I'd need to cover my fingers, and someone lovely enough made some calculations for a size 7 finger, and to get the same proportion, I'd need a 12mm spread including the halo. I'm over a size 7-- more like a 7.5-8. I know the 9mm is just some "magical number" I'm trying to hit, so I guess I don't mind it being slightly under. I get that IRL, a few .1's mm are like, a hair wide, and aren't even noticeable.

Am I being ridiculous? Nevermind don't answer that, lol, I KNOW I'm being ridiculous. I know it looks cocktail-ish. I love cocktail-ish. I'm gaudy like that.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337882457|3202761 said:
Am I being ridiculous? Nevermind don't answer that, lol, I KNOW I'm being ridiculous. I know it looks cocktail-ish. I love cocktail-ish. I'm gaudy like that.
Haha :lol:

As long as you're being you! :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, Armywife for your words of encouragement. I can't help but not stress though! =P I'm literally dreaming of OECs. Falling on the floor and getting lost.. being "white enough", then later after return/exchange period, "turning darker". :sick: Oh no, I'm going OEC crazy!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1337856277|3202447 said:
I'm thinking that if Mara doesn't buy that rounder stone of her two stones you should see about buying that puppy.

I'm a poor video taker. I think the IDJ stone was badly videoed and that holder that Yekuteil is using to me makes the pavilion facets look darker. I had one for a while and played with it and the stones always looked darker under the table when they were in that holder.

That said. I agree with Dreamer. Sacrifice a small amount of spread for a lot of peace of mind. Or go down in color a lot.

I skipped through the pages of Mara's thread, and I see the round one, but I don't see any stats? :confused:

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Madelise,
I don't know if you are still considering the IDJ stone, but I personally don't like it (if you are after OEC). It has a proportions of the MRB. But even in the MRB I woudn't go with the 58% table. The smaller and higher the table the more fire you get.
This stone just doesn't have the typical features of the OECs.
However, if you are OK with the Transitional, this stone might be a way to go. I think you are considering Transitional from JBEG, this one might be a better option.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1337856277|3202447 said:

I just spoke with Yuketiel over the phone. I am lacking sleep, and haven't had a good talk with him until today for the past few days. We're off by 3 hours, but also I run on a really wonky school/work schedule. I can post on PS in class/work sometimes, and email.. but to actually have a phone conversation has been quite a challenge. I actually haven't even spoken to Grace yet over the phone! It has all been by email correspondence. I hope vendors don't think that's weird. I'm "new-age" in communication, and I actually prefer written words that I can go back and remind myself of :naughty: This brain isn't good with memory! Whoops, I digress.

Anyway, Yuketiel says that inclusion is for sure a water mark that Luann didn't completely dry off. I asked him "Are you sure" about 100 times, and he promises me that it is indeed eye clean. He also says that he realizes the video is horrible, and that he doesn't compete with other vendors' photography and videography skills (as we've seen with other RT threads). Someone needs to go to his store and help him out! :lol: I really think better photography and videography would help out the whole RT forum!

Anyway, he insists it is a beautiful stone that the video serves an injustice to. I also like the fact that it is indeed a GIA stone, because I *know* what I'm getting. I hate wishy-washy, and EGL gives me that wishy-washy feel, regardless of confirmation or comparison to other stones for color. I wish all OECs were graded GIA by standard! Who the heck decided to use EGL?! I remember reading JbEG's response to Kenny once about how they're forced to keep it EGL because the normal shopper doesn't know the difference between GIA and EGL, and wouldn't then compare apples to apples when they shop. WHO STARTED THIS, fess up! :devil:

I'd have to get a hold on a credit card in order to get it sent to an appraiser here in SoCal for me to view it in real life. I really wish I can fly to NY in 2 weeks, when I am off of school, but I have GRE "torture session" and clinical hours to cram in last minute.

He's going to send me an Idealscope (I know, not meant for OECs, but at least I get something) image to my phone. He's being gracious in allowing me time to decide as he keeps it on hold for me. I just don't want to rule this one out yet, since he sounds so genuinely concerned about the video he sent being unrepresentative.

And who knows? When I meet with Grace, maybe I'll change my mind completely to L-M-N's or something. That'll be another can of worms for me to explore.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1337877914|3202685 said:
Hi All -

I am plenty confused in my own thread. I have zilch clue about all these %'s, haha.

Thank you, Emma, for your advice.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara|1337880437|3202729 said:
Yanno it's interesting. I've seen a fair amt of OEC's in all diff shapes, sizes, trannys, more modern OEC's, early OEC's, OMC's...etc. They all perform so differently. Having 2 with me right now it's just amazing how diff even these 2 are. I could make a huge list of the differences, or as some might say pros and cons.

If one of these had arrived and not the other, I'd probably say WOW this is great I'll go with this. I wouldn't even think that it was lacking in any way or another. They are both amazing. But different. I would venture to say that most people would not be 'disappointed' with a well cut OEC that exhibits most of the typical charateristics, but when you start to compare them to each other, it can get really difficult. It's hard to say 'forever stone' when it comes to OEC for me because I really want to sample them all. :naughty:

That's what's so lovely about old cuts, to me, though! The fact that they're all SO different! And some wonky, but in a good way! I don't feel like I will have a diamond that every other person I know will have. It all plays more into that whole romanticism I feel about old cuts :love: :love: They truly are one-of-a-kind, and I feel like they are very "me". A little wonk from the norm ;))

Post more pics, Mara! I'm actually learning from your thread too! <3

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know much about the other % stuff you were trying to explain to me.. comparing to the lower facets.. But the 58% table is fine by me. I sort of feel like it's an "in between", just enough old small table, but not too much? I don't know if it bothers me or not because I haven't seen a bunch IRL, and the ones I have seen are much smaller to do a complete educational. Can you explain more about the comparing table % to lower facets?

I'm a trusting person, but I've had a lot of bad experiences that has made me a skeptic, so I'm on the fence about trusting a vendor. I think that's a LOT of reasoning that my SO has for insisting to deal with a well-known and well-applauded PS vendor. But he's the type that's more like, "Who's behind the screen name? He/She only has 20 posts! He/She only opened an account yesterday!" and trusts "oldies" that have proven to be "real people" more. It must be from all the Reddit trolls he encounters :devil:

Yuketiel sounds trustable to me, though, but so does every other PS-loved vendor. I'm still giving this one a chance because he insists I need to at least see it in real life before knocking it off.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EmmaJoy|1337881637|3202748 said:
Well, I own two OMC rings inherited from my grandmother (though, my e-ring is a LM five stone with an emerald center). However, and probably more importantly, I work close to the diamond district and often peruse the stores on my break. And I'm not shy about asking to try things on and loop them. All I can say is that I think if you are looking for a well cut OEC at, this is a really good choice. It was completely eye clean and sparkles like mad. Clearly this is just my two cents, but if I had the money I would have tried to snatch that stone up!

Thank you EJ for your words =) I wish you could have gotten better pictures for me! lol!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337882714|3202769 said:
madelise|1337882457|3202761 said:
Haha :lol:

As long as you're being you! :appl:

Oh, me = ridiculous, I'm afraid. Sorry you know me! LOL!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1337885262|3202804 said:
Oh, me = ridiculous, I'm afraid. Sorry you know me! LOL!
Haha, that I do! I just want you to L :love: VE whatever you choose. ESPECIALLY since it'll be your forever diamond. Forever stones don't usually exist on PS. Definitely take your time and don't give in to any pressure.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
InnaR|1337883626|3202780 said:
Madelise,
I don't know if you are still considering the IDJ stone, but I personally don't like it (if you are after OEC). It has a proportions of the MRB. But even in the MRB I woudn't go with the 58% table. The smaller and higher the table the more fire you get.
This stone just doesn't have the typical features of the OECs.
However, if you are OK with the Transitional, this stone might be a way to go. I think you are considering Transitional from JBEG, this one might be a better option.

Thank you Inna. I am still considering this one. To be honest, I know that OECs and Transitionals are different in terms of higher or lower crowns, but since I don't think I've ever seen a transitional IRL, I don't really know how my eyes like it. Thanks for pointing out that it's more Tranny-like. (Heh heh, I laugh every time thinking of the word "Tranny"). Isn't CoatiMundi's a tranny? I like hers. A lot. I think hers was the proverbial old-cut that got me to say, HEY, I don't want a MRB anymore!

All I know is, old cuts look completely different to me than MRBs. I'm a total dunce here. I know my eyes like them, but I never can explain why except, chunky, colorful, different and romantic.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you OldCut,PhDs haven't given up on me after all this confusion I keep throwing at you. I'm trying to not be a difficult RT-er, I swear!

Here are the ASET/IdealScope images from Yuketiel. From what I have picked up about IS, I think the IS looks okay? I don't know how to read ASETs at all.. the dark blue areas are leakage, right?

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 11.54.46 AM.png

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1337880113|3202723 said:

Exactly. I wasn't thinking anything so extreme like "holy hell you could land a plane on that table!" but it did seem larger than I would have expected for an OEC. I like the teeny tiny tables and high crowns.

And good question, Dreamer. I think old cuts are particularly mesmerizing, but I haven't seen many in person so I know my own personal account wouldn't mean much.

Yes, absolutely, a 58% table is a little large for an older cut, I realize that, but IMO not worth totally writing the stone off. But if a really small table is important to the buyer then yes, I guess that would be a reason to write it off. All depends on what's important to the buyer.

And for me, the fact the stone is a GIA K is a nice trade-off for the slightly larger table. My OEC is an EGL J, so safe to say maybe a GIA L or even an M? And I have to say, I feel my stone faces up pretty white - shows a little of an ivory color here and there, but I didn't really want a lower colored stone and I'm really happy with the color of mine. I realize these stones all perform differently, but idk, I'm liking the fact it's GIA K. Again, it depends on the priorities of the buyer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results