shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all princess cut experts or self proclaimed experts!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is buying me a new diamond for our 15th anniversary, here are the two we’re narrowed it down to:

James Allen Diamond:
Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.80
Cut: Very Good
Color: I
Clarity: VVS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 70.0%
Table: 77.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.97*6.90*4.83
Ratio: 1.01

Whiteflash Diamond:
Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.59
Cut: A CUT ABOVE
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 72.4%
Table: 68.2%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.45*6.44*4.66
Ratio: 1.00

I’m waiting to get a Sarin report on the James Allen diamond, which hasn’t arrived yet.

Pros for the James Allen diamond – larger stone, amazing clarity.
Pros for the Whiteflash diamond – A Cut Above grading, better colour.

The Whiteflash ring is approx. $1500 above our budget.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything to point out that I may be missing?

Thanks!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Calling all princess cut experts or self proclaimed expe

Also I assume the difference in size would be barely noticeable?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You cant evaluate princess cuts without images and aset. You need to reserve the stones then post links.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

I was hoping to get a few opinions this weekend. Hoping to make the final call on Monday.

Thanks!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Is JA getting an ASET image for you? IMO it's hard to beat the WF stone, however the stone that FG posted should have amazing optics as well. You will see a size difference between the two stones that you posted.There is about a .5mm difference between them. One sheet of copy paper is .1mm, so five sheets is a visible difference when applied to the circumference of the stone. That said, if the JA stone has light leakage around the girdle it could appear smaller than the WF stone regardless of it's dimensions, so it's important to get an ASET image.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

JA is getting us a Sarin report. Just sent an e-mail to also request an ASET.

Not interested in anything other than a princess.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you ok with an I color? Normally with a table as big as the JA I would expect it to be very square and more on the outer
edge. Even though the JA table is big is still looks pretty decent (in my eyes). If the aset comes back on the JA looking
good I would be tempted to get the JA because of the size.

You cant go wrong with the WF stone though.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333|1345330664|3253721 said:
Are you ok with an I color? Normally with a table as big as the JA I would expect it to be very square and more on the outer
edge. Even though the JA table is big is still looks pretty decent (in my eyes). If the aset comes back on the JA looking
good I would be tempted to get the JA because of the size.

You cant go wrong with the WF stone though.

Never would have considered an "I" before, but I've done enough research now to know a little better. Agree that the JA stone looks decent, so I'm really curious to see the reports.

I know the WF stone will be beautiful, so no real hesitation there aside from the size.

I am really torn between the two at this point. :|

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Attached are the scans for the JA diamond - thoughts?

_601.jpg

Attachments

• ja1.bmp
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,021

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I don't think it looks to bad. It does look like it has some leakage but not bad. It also looks like there are
areas where it is dark but not dark on the coresponding side if that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is the
faceting pattern angles may not be symmetrical? I would have thought that maybe the stone was not
but you can see it in the regular picture to.

Have you considered having it sent to you to have a look? What did the JA gemologist say about it?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333|1345491764|3254483 said:
Well, I don't think it looks to bad. It does look like it has some leakage but not bad. It also looks like there are
areas where it is dark but not dark on the coresponding side if that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is the
faceting pattern angles may not be symmetrical? I would have thought that maybe the stone was not
but you can see it in the regular picture to.

Have you considered having it sent to you to have a look? What did the JA gemologist say about it?

Agree, it's actually better than I thought it would be. That being said though, I'm still not sold on it.

I also had ERD do a search for me today and they pulled this one... a 1.91ct, VS1, I colour, excellent cut. Not the best photo (because of the angle), but the Aset looks better than the JA stone? Yes? No? :confused:

_603.jpg

aset1.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Hmm, I expected a better ASET looking at the photos of that JA stone, but it appears that the optical symmetry is pretty far off from what I consider good. I do think the ASET on the ERD one looks a bit better than the JA one, but both are kinda mediocre. I think the WF one will blow these 2 out of the water. Also consider Farmer gal's suggestion of the H&A square if you like those optics. I actually prefer princess optics over H&A optics, so I'd go with the WF one. If the stone is over budget, could you save money by going with a simple setting?

How about this one since you mentioned the WF ACA stone was over budget?
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2826016.htm

I suspect the only reason this didn't make ACA was the medium blue fluor. Fluor is not inherently a negative thing, and many of us actually consider it a selling point (myself included). I personally love the hint of blue that fluorescent stones take on in sunlight. But WF doesn't allow fluor in their ACAs.

For what it's worth, since someone mentioned I color...I have an I color princess, and for the most part it faces up nice and white. It does show a hint of color from the sides. I wouldn't go lower than I for a princess, though.

ETA: Here's another possibility from GOG: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/9420/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ERD does have more red in it.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks jstarfireb, your input is appreciated.

At this point I think we're going to drop the JA stone from our selection.

It's now down to ERD or WF. My husband will get the final call. :naughty:

Beauty (ACA) vs. the Beast (1.91 Carat) ;-)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

For what it's worth, the WF expert selection I posted faces up larger than the ACA (6.9 vs. 6.45 mm). It's about the same size as the JA stone. Also check the dimensions on the 1.9, because it may face up big, small, or what's expected. Something to think about instead of just carat weight.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb|1345510110|3254663 said:
For what it's worth, the WF expert selection I posted faces up larger than the ACA (6.9 vs. 6.45 mm). It's about the same size as the JA stone. Also check the dimensions on the 1.9, because it may face up big, small, or what's expected. Something to think about instead of just carat weight.

Yes indeed, good point.

WF stone is 6.45 mm, and the ERD is 6.88*6.77*4.87.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Unless there's something I'm not seeing, that makes the expert selection one I suggested a very good choice, since it's even bigger than the 1.9, has great color and clarity, and the price looks good. The faceting pattern is different, though - most exemplified by the smaller, rounder table, reminiscent of a Solasfera princess. You may prefer the more traditional princess faceting pattern - just personal preference. But if those dimensions are correct, I'd pick the Expert Selection in a heartbeat.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb, yes the stone you pictured is nice... and it faces up big too. But I'm not fond of the pattern on this stone or that it has a stronger fluorescence.

I think I know which one I prefer, but as mentioned, DH has the final call. :naughty:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Ah, that's what I thought (re: not being fond of the pattern), which is fine. Facet patterning is a matter of personal preference, just like some people might prefer an OEC vs. a modern round brilliant. Nothing wrong with either choice...go with what you love!

In general, though, I would suggest not letting medium blue fluor deter you. Most medium blue is barely visible if at all in normal lighting conditions. I have a stone with medium blue fluor, and I don't see the fluor unless I shine a UV penlight on it. So if you happened to find another stone you love that happens to have medium fluor, it would be worth considering.

Come back and post pics when the ring is done! I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results