shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all H color stone owners...do you see any yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''ve been searching for nearly a year for a 3+ carat RB and was hoping to find one in the D-F range. But a stone has come up that appears to be extremely well cut BUT it''s a H color stone. Should I consider it? Do you think I''ll notice any yellow once the stone is set. So far all the stones I own are in the D-F range so I''m not sure if that''s going to make me more color sensitive. I''ve also heard that color is more noticeable with larger stones. If anyone can share their two cents, it would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!!
- e

sarah95

Shiny_Rock
Can you look at H color stones in local stores? That should help you decide if you like the color. An AGS or GIA, well cut, H colored diamond should face up white.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind if you line up 10 H diamonds from 0.1-ct to 10-ct the larger H diamonds will show more color.
That's how color grading works.

So when you ask H owners if they can see color be sure they are 3-ct H owners.

Even then, keep in mind just because they may or not be bothered by H color that doesn't mean you will/won't be.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at other stones of this size and color. I am thinking once set it will face up very white... Some could notice a slight tint through the pavilion, but again most wouldn''t.. The larger the stone the more noticeable the color is, but an H is still very white to me at least. When comparing make sure the other stones are of an excellent make... Apples to apples, etc...

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

As many of the PSers know, I recently upgraded my 1.12 ct F color RB diamond ering to a 2.383 ct H color ACA RB diamond. Since I have been wearing my old ering for years, I have got used to colorless diamonds (especially that my 1.12 ct has some blue florescence that makes the diamond appear whiter). Naturally, I had the same concern as you do. Now that I have owned both colors, I can tell you I do not readily notice any yellowish tint unless I specifically look for it under some lighting conditions.

As my new diamond is ideal cut ACA, it sparkles like mad. In fact, when I first laid eyes on it, I was so distracted by its sparkles that I did not even notice its color. I was kept busy admiring the sparkling diamond for a while. Not until I remembered to check the color did I examine very closely and then notice the slight yellowish tint. Even so, the yellowish tint is noticeable only under certain lighting conditions, and I have to purposely look for it.

When placing both stones side by side and closely examining them for any color difference, I can definitely detect the slightly yellowish tint of the H color stone. Then again, the color difference is detectable only under some lighting conditions.

I believe I am more color sensitive than most people, as I have “trained” eyes from having owned F color erring for a long time. Of course, you may be more color sensitive than I, but the probability is not great. Thus, H color diamond may likely work for you, just as it does for me. In a way, I am glad that I went for an H color diamond, for it allows me to afford a larger size stone of the best possible cut. Venturing into any color lower than H is a different story though. I do not think I am ready for the leap yet.

As someone has already suggested, you may want to check out an H color diamond in person by visiting your local jewelry store. Good luck.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there, diamondnut!!
35.gif

Long time no "see"!! How are you?

I was thinking about you just the other day, seriously!! I was wondering if you'd managed to upgrade stone to the 3carater, and I guess you're still at it, just like I'm with my second upgrade!!
2.gif
3.gif

I think H colour would be fine face-up. I responded in another thread another PS'er posted about her upgraded 3ct I colour stone. I think you'll be fine, but don't go looking for colour, or you'll be second guessing yourself forever. I remembered when I first got my 3ct F stone, I kept seeing colour in it, but only because i) I'd only ever owned smaller G colour with med/ strong blue fluor and ii) I *wanted* to see colour (if that makes sense). So, what I did was I left it alone and deliberately did not look for several months and when I went back to it, voila, the stone was just a beautiful crispy white, as it of course is!
3.gif
To this day, I still think it is one of the most beautiful and incredibly white stones I've ever seen.

Anyway, back to your H, you'll be absolutely fine. Just make sure though that it is of a top-notch cut, but I'm sure being a PS'er you already knew that!
1.gif

Good luck and please come back to post pics. I'm sure it'll be gorgeous.

ETA: I do see some very slight colour in my 3.5ct pear, but only in certain lighting conditions. With a RB, you'll be absolutely fine.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is my wife''s 3.34ct GIA H color ring. the H looks okay too me,but only you can decide on color.

DSCN1949bvj.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey DN!
35.gif

Ditto Kaleigh, check some out in person if you can, an H of this size will still be very white but best to look in person if possible.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moly Dancing Fire that 3.34 ct is HUUUUUGE!

I have an "H" (not close to being 3 ct) but I never see any yellow. My stone has medium blue fluorescence.
With my original "I" (Hearts on Fire stone) I could see the yellow, now I never do!

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input! Based on the H stone I''ve seen, unless I put it next to a D or E stone, I didn''t really notice any yellow. But that''s just one look in very particular lighting so I wanted to hear your ''real life'' experience of seeing it daily in various lighting. I''m leaning towards considering it!

Phoenix, yes it has been a long time! And I see you''ve done some serious shopping while I was away!!! : ) You definitely have one of the best bling collection of anyone I know!! I''m such an amateur in comparison. It''s been almost a year and I still don''t have my 3 carater. I was going to upgrade my current 2.5ct E VS1 for a 3.5ct E VS1 but haven''t been able to find anything suitable. In the interim, I''ve grown quite attached to my current stone so I''ve changed my strategy and decided to search for a 3.5 ct SI1 stone AND keep my current stone. For roughly the same price, I might as well get 2 stones : ) And thanks for your vote of confidence on the H stone. I think it just may be worth considering! Wish me luck!

simonwiser

Rough_Rock
The colour H diamond should be white in appearance, but only a personal inspection will tell you for sure.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
The Mrs has a well-cut 1ct I-colour, VS1-clarity diamond in 18k yellow gold and you can't really tell the colour grade from the top, although there's a difficult-to-explain, slightly less "cold" look to the stone when compared to a D-colour.
Even looking from the side of the mounting, the yellow tint is only very slight and you wouldn't notice the side-on yellowish tint if you didn't know the colour grade.

She also has a H-colour, VS2-clarity diamond in 18k yellow gold and it's practically indistinguishable from the colourless grades. Only with a very thorough inspection can you tell that it might not be a D-F colour.

From the top of the stone, I would expect your 3ct H to look colourless if well-cut.
From the side of the stone, I think that you'll notice some colour, since you're looking through 50% greater thickness of diamond than with a 1ct.
Imagine the perceived difference in colour intensity of fruit juice when put into a narrow glass compared to a very wide glass; the narrower one will appear to have less colour.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2009 9:40:15 AM
Author: diamondnut
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input! Based on the H stone I've seen, unless I put it next to a D or E stone, I didn't really notice any yellow. But that's just one look in very particular lighting so I wanted to hear your 'real life' experience of seeing it daily in various lighting. I'm leaning towards considering it!

Phoenix, yes it has been a long time! And I see you've done some serious shopping while I was away!!! : ) You definitely have one of the best bling collection of anyone I know!! I'm such an amateur in comparison. It's been almost a year and I still don't have my 3 carater. I was going to upgrade my current 2.5ct E VS1 for a 3.5ct E VS1 but haven't been able to find anything suitable. In the interim, I've grown quite attached to my current stone so I've changed my strategy and decided to search for a 3.5 ct SI1 stone AND keep my current stone. For roughly the same price, I might as well get 2 stones : ) And thanks for your vote of confidence on the H stone. I think it just may be worth considering! Wish me luck!
He he, Diamondnut, what can I say?!! I'm not a PS'er for nothing!!
3.gif
And thank you for your kind compliment.

I'm also doing the same thing with my 3.02ct F VS2, meaning I've decided to keep it (I do think it's an amazingly beautiful diamond); and get another stone, a 5ct-ish, though of course the latter would have to be lower in colour and clarity. I just can't justify paying for another F VS2 in that size, not that my DH would let me anyway!!
4.gif

I do indeed wish you luck in yr new search. It can be quite difficult trying to get the *right* one. Can't wait to see pics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results