shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Online and Seeing in person

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KingForaDay

Rough_Rock
My questions is: Is it absolutely necessary to see ECs in person, or can I trust the opinion of one of the PS vendors to be my eyes? I think that too often I get lost in the numbers, and I know from this forum that I need to "buy the diamond, not the paper." I want to purchase an emerald cut diamond as the center stone in an e-ring. What I am looking for: 1.25-1.3 ct, F-G, no less than SI1, and l/w ratio approx. 1.4. From all of the other EC threads I have read, I feel like I know what I want the table, depth, angle%, etc. to be. The problem is that I have not viewed many ECs in person. I have read alot of threads that ECs must be seen. Recently I met with my friend''s mother at a well respected B&M in town. She is not a SA (inventory director) but she took time out of her day to show me a couple of ECs and setting options. The one that I liked was very nice (1.27ct, F, SI1, GIA) but also several thousand dollars more than what many of the PS vendors charge for a similar stone. Yes, I would receive a discount but it would not be subtantial enough to make buying there attractive. I would rather purchase from a PS vendor for less and trust their expert opinion(s). Am I selling myself short by not putting in the legwork to see multiple ECs in person?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pictures + help + trusted vendor + return policy == safe EC online experence.
Hundreds of people have bought EC and SE stones they love this way on this forum.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
then there is you as a variable factor:

what is your focal range, and do you wear reading glasses sometimes?

Are you tall and thin with light colored hair, or short and dark?

Do you wear dark or light clothing more often?

Believe it or not these factors are very important.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/31/2007 1:02:52 AM
Author:KingForaDay
My questions is: Is it absolutely necessary to see ECs in person, or can I trust the opinion of one of the PS vendors to be my eyes? I think that too often I get lost in the numbers, and I know from this forum that I need to ''buy the diamond, not the paper.'' I want to purchase an emerald cut diamond as the center stone in an e-ring. What I am looking for: 1.25-1.3 ct, F-G, no less than SI1, and l/w ratio approx. 1.4. From all of the other EC threads I have read, I feel like I know what I want the table, depth, angle%, etc. to be. The problem is that I have not viewed many ECs in person. I have read alot of threads that ECs must be seen. Recently I met with my friend''s mother at a well respected B&M in town. She is not a SA (inventory director) but she took time out of her day to show me a couple of ECs and setting options. The one that I liked was very nice (1.27ct, F, SI1, GIA) but also several thousand dollars more than what many of the PS vendors charge for a similar stone. Yes, I would receive a discount but it would not be subtantial enough to make buying there attractive. I would rather purchase from a PS vendor for less and trust their expert opinion(s). Am I selling myself short by not putting in the legwork to see multiple ECs in person?
In my opinion..., yes, you need to see an E/C with your eyes...
Everybody has different taste buds. The numbers are just not enough.
Table, depth, angle% are just a part of the whole E/C equation..., the main issue is the angles (degrees) of the individual step-facets and their combinations!!!
An E/C with the exact same dimensions, table%, depth%, CA and PD (pavilion depth) can have thousands of different appearances.

And if I may..., Garry is totally right on this one...., a lot depends on "YOU"...
PS vendors will probably offer you great looking E/C''s, but the scope for great looking E/C''s is much wider than the norm here on PS.
That''s where your eyes come in to place..., to utilize the maximum potential of this scope!

Good luck,

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Several of the Pricescope vendors will send a stone or stones to a reputable appriaser for you to see before you commit. If you decide against it you will have to pay for shipping and the appraisal. You should first discuss your requirements with the vendor and, if it is not in their inventory, have them send for it and examine it.
I did this with Whiteflash. I discussed with Lesley at length what I wanted and she located a stone for me. I discussed it with Brian and then had it sent to David Wolf, an appraiser, since I live in Manhattan. It worked out very well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results