shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from Ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! I have been lurking for quite a while, learning lots and lots about diamonds/pricing/other gemstones... I wondered if anyone could offer advice. I am interested in an elaborate e-ring, however, my profession has me in gloves most of the time. I love the Tiffany Etoile Solitaire and would like it as my "work" ring if I can find a good deal on Ebay (or sSigned Pieces, but the Ebay deals tend to be better if the ring is in fact the real thing). I have seen some Etoiles come and go on Ebay, some for cheaper than the Etoile Wedding Band at full cost. Is it a silly idea to buy a used ring? If it is real Tiffany, even if it''s old and banged up, could a good polishing from the store make it like new? What else can Tiffany do for you to make a ring "like new" Thanks in advance for your help!
Regards,
QueenG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea to try and get a second hand Etoile for a work ring.

BUT considering that something like 4 out of 5 Tiffany pieces on ebay aren''t the real deal...I would stay away from ebay unless it''s a reputable seller just selling there (like signed pieces). But I wouldn''t hesitate to buy a secondhand piece from Signed Pieces!

Also, if it isn''t the name you''re after, you could find the same thing MUCH cheaper from a place like Whiteflash...

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
I am just in love with the Etoile. I''ve looked at several alternatives and none have come close. That said, there is a particular piece, .37 carat solitaire, H VS1, 4 yrs old on Ebay for $999! Authentication papers shown and the seller has several other old Tiffany pieces she''s selling. Looks like she''s just getting rid of some things (at decent prices!). I probably just lost that ring now that I posted it here, LOL. That''s so cheap that I can surely ask for a weekend ring, right?
17.gif

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
So a used ring could be made to look newer? Where would i get this done? An independent jeweler, or would Tifany be able to do it ( I wonder what they''d charge)?

Oh, and Neatfreak, thanks for the warning about bogus pieces on Ebay!

sachmo

Rough_Rock
Tiffany polishes and cleans all their platinum jewelry free of charge, no questions asked. I had a second-hand ring polished at the NYC 5th Ave store and it was a very pleasant experience. They make you sign a piece of paper verifying the work was actually done. No biggie.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Be very careful buying used "Tiffany" pieces off of eBay. There are many, many sellers peddling counterfeit jewelry, some of them very sophisticated. The problem is so bad that Tiffany is currently suing eBay over it (the case is in trial in NY right now).

Tiffany documentation can be faked, and photos of genuine pieces can be reused. If you got a fake Tiffany piece, would you be able to tell?

Check the seller''s feedback and do your homework if you''re considering this. Ask the seller a lot of questions, and if you get any bad feelings at all, walk.

There are some legitimate pieces out there, but you have to know what you''re doing.

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
I will do my reseach... I didn''t even think of fake pics, but you are certainly correct that this could happen! There is a particular ring by a seller that is auctioning off a few pieces from Tiffany. She even has the Etoile pictured in several other listings along with the various wedding bands she''s selling. It looks legit, but I might not know if it was the real deal in person. Maybe, since I''m so particular to this exact ring and don''t prefer the ones styled after them... I''ll just keep an eye out for everything you guys have mentioned. Thanks so much! I actually wanted this as my, as my BF calls it, "stunt" ring since I''m a glove-wearer by day, but lover of the Legacy (with a colored stone, perhaps?). I''m not sure if I like the idea of 2 rings since I want to wear "the ring my boyfriend proposed with", but I also don''t want my job to limit my choices. Decisions, decisions.... I wonder if I am obsessing too much about this!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results