shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from Ebay

maisy1410

Rough_Rock
Hoping for some advice....

I'm looking at buying a diamond ring from ebay and wanted some advice before doing so... (Am I allowed to post the link?)

My engagement ring diamond is currently just over half a carat, in the future I may want get a bigger diamond. Is it possible to replace the diamond I have with a bigger one from the ebay ring? Is it much more complicated than I think? I don't plan on doing it anytime soon but we are in the process of choosing wedding rings so I wonder if this is something I need to take into account.

My current engagement ring is platinum, 4 prong twist 0.56 carat, colour F

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help.
x

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Details are everything in this business. Yes, it's probably possible and yes, it's probably more difficult than you think. If you're going up substantially in size it's probably going to be necessary to replace the prongs on the ring and this may or may not be difficult. Talk to the jeweler you would be hiring to do the work about your limits. It's pretty easy to spend several hundred dollars at this and it's possible that it requires remanufacturing then ring.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on what you mean. You are relying 100% of the appraiser who graded it. All Paypal is guaranteeing is that what you’ll get is what’s in the description, and even that has a fair amount of qualifiers. The paypal guarantee is NOT particularly good. Do you trust the appraiser? Do you even know who they are?

Here’s their description of the stone from the ad

“ Calculated diamond weight 1.09 metric carat (1.0 guaranteed minimum diamond weight stamped inside shank) colour approx E/F, clarity approx I2”

If we give one grade variation for those 'approx' qualifiers we're talking about a 1.00/G/I3. Is this what you’re looking for?

maisy1410

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean. I would be happy in terms of size and colour but perhaps the I3 would be an issue. Probably I'm best going through a more reliable when the time comes ... it just seemed like a good option at the moment.

I appreciate your advice...I can be rather impulsive!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results