shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer's Remorse?

MGoldRN

Rough_Rock
Hey all,
Well.. just looking to vent a little bit here seeing as the support is quite nice in this forum. What a journey it has been over the past month researching all the information available to me regarding my first time e-ring purchase. But, despite what I think I know about diamonds, the more I tend to read just makes me realize how much there is to learn. Anyways, I scoured many posts and took pointers from various members when I was considering several stones. A BIG THANKS TO GYPSY! So, now that the purchase has been completed and the wait begins until I receive the finished product, I feel even worse than before. Perhaps I am just an analytical person in nature who loves to overthink things. Anyways, I ended up doing a one-stop shop at GOG and could not have been more satisfied with their top-notch customer service. I ended up purchasing this stone http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12485/ . After careful consideration and watching countless videos, the August Vintage stones seemed so unique. I will be having the stone set in the Leo Ingwer setting pictured below, but will be using H&A side stones from GOG. My dilemma is that even though the search has ended, I am continually searching GOG and other vendors for similar stones. For example, I was so torn about the AVR vs the MRB vs a modern cushion vs an AVC... The stone is verified as eye-clean, and I am still hopeful that my choice will be the best one, but I can't help but think, "well, should I have opened up my budget a bit more, should I have gotten a larger stone, a better clarity grade, a MRB that faces up larger, etc..." I know these questions all relate to personal preferences... but I can't help but wonder. IS THIS THE DIAMOND PLAGUE THAT WILL HAUNT ME FOREVER?! :errrr:

Would you say this is a common dilemma? Perhaps I am just a bit uneasy as it was a novice decision. I am mostly confident that GOG did not steer me in the wrong direction, but I would like some expert support to say, hey you did alright.. stop whining :loopy:

_21695.jpg

_21696.jpg

_21697.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did fine - can't go wrong with an AVR (I have one). It is a unique stone - no one you know will have one, and it is top of the line performance. Now that doesn't mean a diamond obsession will magically go away... I think almost all of us want something. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two things that could be happening.
It could be buyers remorse.
OR
the one I think more likely, you're concerned about making a ring commitment. This website is the devil that way. You see hundreds of rings, all large, all in a million different designs. And you only get to pick one. Now you've picked it and that's it. Now you can't look at all the rings and imagine it on your hand.

So, it could be that you bought the wrong ring, which I don't think is the case. Or it could be that you're just reacting to the search being over.

Just remember, you'll always see other lovely rings. And you'll always see a ring thats larger. But you picked this because it was the best for you. And I mean, shoot its a nice quality!

MGoldRN

Rough_Rock
Thanks Niel & ecf,
You bring up some valid points. There is so much going on within this site it can be easy to start comparing subtle nuances. I guess that's what makes this site so unique.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, you may be able to guess my opinion on the AVR from looking at my avatar picture. :rolleyes: I think they have to be among the most beautiful diamonds in the world and vastly more unique than a mrb. But to be fair, ideal cut rounds are very beautiful and a great choice as well for someone who wants a well cut round.

I think your choices are FINE and you have nothing to worry about unless you really have no idea of her preferences. I really like for guys to have an idea of what the girl likes before going out and buying something. However, this seems to be pretty safe in the overall scheme of things. Did you have any hints from her (or better yet, pictures of rings she likes)?

For me personally, I prefer either a simple solitaire OR antique style settings for an AVR. That's the only thing I'd change if I were buying it for myself. The AVR is an antique cut and works well with antique style settings or wedding bands. But that is just my preference and she may prefer the pave set you have chosen. The upside of this is that if on the small chance she'd prefer a modern round brilliant, all you have to do is send the ring back and upgrade the diamond.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have similar feelings whenever I make a costly diamond purchase. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with the choice you made. I would choose an August Vintage Round over a MRB every time. They are beautiful diamonds. Don't second guess your choice. If you decide you want to go larger you always have the option to upgrade.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Don't worry, you've picked an amazing stone, and a lovely setting :love: .
Postpone all worrying until you see the stone in person - I'm sure it will knock your socks off.

One of the great thing about GOG is they have a 30 day return policy and a fantastic upgrade policy so you have time to get to know the stone in person, or swap it for another if you feel the urge to.

Full disclosure, I have an AVC from GOG that I adore, and an AVR is definitely on wishlist. I love fancies, why not collect them all?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K being nervous about a major purchase is normal. AVRs are beautiful, if on the remote chance she doesn't like the diamond or is not sure about it have a backup plan to send the setting back to GOG (they have a great return policy) and swap the stone for a Round Brilliant that will fit into that setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just the money, the commitment to the stone, and possibly already a little DSS. Good luck with that. :wink2:

But if you stay with an AVR, you can't go wrong. It's a beautiful stone. Congratulations!! This is a good problem to have.

umbrella

Rough_Rock
I think Niel is right. This website is a library of beautiful stones and settings, so it's natural for you to keep browsing and perhaps wonder "what if?".

You snapped up that stone very quickly so it must have felt "right". I know because I was waiting to hear back from David of GOG with a video of that very stone. But just a day later it was on reserve and then gone! I think this stone is actually a pretty safe bet for you as it's not too dissimilar to a MRB as the facets aren't super duper obviously chunky. But yet it's still a little bit different to have that unique feel to it. I've come to realise that I want an AVR which has really chunky facets, so I'm waiting for the right one to pop up eventually. The one you chose is a really nice size and from what I remember was a great price.

My setting preferences are similar to diamondseeker, I'd prefer an antique stone in an antique setting or a plain 6 prong solitaire, however that may not be your or your partner's choice. And you have the comfort of GOG's return policy in case the stone/setting aren't what you envisioned.

Try not to worry until the ring arrives. There's nothing you can do about it in the meantime, so just be excited for it's arrival and show us pictures of your beauty when it arrives! We can then share some more opinions if you aren't 100% sure with the ring when its in your hot little hands. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A) you are welcome. B) Neil is right. It's like wedding dresses. You commit to one, and never look at another.

I think the ring will knock your socks off. And you have a nice upgrade policy. If sometime down the road you decide you want to upgrade you can exercise it.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond is a real winner, and it will look gorgeous. The only thing I'd change is use a 6 prong head instead of a 4, because 6 prongs are more secure. There's a recent thread on here where Wink chimed in, but the problem with 4 prongs is if just one is bent the right way, the stone can slide out. Any good local jeweler can change the head, if you decide to change it. Stuller.com has some heads that would look great on that shank.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had a 1.50 OEC F color.. it was gorgeous, former marriage etc.. had to go back.

I think old cuts are more beautiful than the MRB (which I have one btw).. you cannot beat the bold flashes.. I think you will love your ring.. the stone looks beautiful!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
HopeDream|1409286474|3741198 said:
Postpone all worrying until you see the stone in person - I'm sure it will knock your socks off.

Exactly this. I wavered and debated between a MRB and an AVR too. From the moment I saw my AVR it was all over. Deep love. :love: They are crazy beautiful stones. Just wait until you see it in person!

And like PPs have pointed out, with GOG's great return and upgrade policies if in fact this is not the one, you will have any number of options.

And PS is a pot-stirrer! I have no doubts about the e-ring I chose and they will have to pry it off my cold dead hands, BUT that doesn't stop me from drooling and dreaming every time I come on PS. My wish list for RHRs, bands etc gets longer every time I come on here. :twirl:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey you did alright.. stop whining ;-)

Kidding, well, kind of. I think you did great! And if you do want to go bigger or change to a modern RB, GOG has a great trade-up policy. You really can't go wrong with this awesome diamond/ring!

And totally agree re: gypsy. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't feel as confident about the diamond I ended up buying :)

MGoldRN

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the great insight and support! This forum is such a great place, I only wish that I found it sooner! I will definitely post some pics of the final product when I have it in hand in a few weeks.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your diamond and your ring will look terrific. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results