shape
carat
color
clarity

Building a quality ring based on a maul design

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Hi! I posted a few months ago about being torn between a Tiffany Legacy ring and a Kay Jewelers ring. Well, friends, I'm still very much in love with the Kay ring, so much so that I really think it is "the one." (I know! Why, God, WHY?!) That said, I always try to remember what I've learned here, and today I was playing on Eternity Diamonds and found this puppy, which, right now, I have paired with this guy.

Now, in your opinion, does the above combo come close to my infamous Kay number? (I know it won't compare in diamond clarity/color, but I'm more concerned with diamond shape and the setting itself.)

The settings (aside from the thick pave sides) seem pretty similar from all angles, and I've been trying to look at the cut of the diamond (table, etc.) from above and from the side, but I'm just too much of a novice.

Also, what I really am loving about Eternity Diamonds is that they have an option to make this ring in a 3, which would totally fit me.

Opinions?

EDIT: Just want to mention my boyfriend (who doesn't know I'm doing this :razz:) has a budget of about $2,000. He said the $2,999 for the Kay is not a deal-breaker, but *I* feel guilty going over $2,300 (which is what the Kay ring used to be on sale).

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I had probs with the 1st link... is this the ring?

Zora%20ring.jpg

If it is (the Zora) I love it! The price is awesome and I like the style even better than the Kay's. I'm a RB novice, so nothing to add there. :wink2:

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Yes, missydebby! The Zora it is.

(Sorry about the bad links; I fixed 'em.)

The Kay ring looks not-so-pretty online, but in the store on my hand I just swoon. I'm hoping this may get me a similar effect.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, the Zora seems totally different in feel from the Kay setting. To me, the Zora has a simple delicacy, while the Kay has a heavier antique look.

I'm not stating a preference between the two, I just don't think they're particularly comparable as settings.

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Sillyberry, you make a good point. The clunky sides on the Kay ring are the least important to me, as the center and side stones tend to take up the whole top of my finger. I will definitely ponder your input, though.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for your opinions -- especially on the diamonds! There is so much to think about.

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Question: How do I take the ED stone and "examine" it on the James Allen site?

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have to find the same stone, since both are virtual listings. Match the Cs, dimensions of the stones from both vendor. If the GIA report is loaded at both vendor and matches then it is the same stone.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I understand loving a ring even though it's a mall ring! The question is - will you really be *happy* with a substitute?

Secondly - if that ring was on sale at one time, talk to the manager about matching that price now. I shop at Roger's and Holland's quite a big (*gasp*). I just bought a alternating round/baguette channel set band and paid $400 less than the sticker price. There is SO much room for negotiation. I never ever pay full price! So if you love, go do some talking!

ras2883

Rough_Rock
hoofbeats95 said:
I understand loving a ring even though it's a mall ring! The question is - will you really be *happy* with a substitute?

I'm really worried about that, too -- especially since I can't try on an Internet ring. And I'm SO HAPPY you brought up negotiating, because when I saw the ring was no longer on sale (it had literally been $2300 for THREE MONTHS) I panicked. I even said to my boyfriend, "Maybe if you take in the old flyer and just look surprised/clueless they'll negotiate with you." :shock:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ras,
When you find a diamond you can use the HCA tool to find out if it is a decent cut stone. Stones should score below 2.
1.3 isnt better than 1.8...just look for a score below 2. Dismiss any stone that scores above 2. For an SI stone you will need to
have the vendor tell you that it is eye-clean say from 6 inches or so (you pick the number).

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

tyty

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results