shape
carat
color
clarity

Brick and Mortars becoming "Diamond Clubs"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pjsmithe

Rough_Rock

OK, still on the hunt in Atlanta, which has a well known B and M retailer with a pretty good reputation and grinding radio commercials. ;-)

I''m finding that their diamonds are generally about 18%-25% more than online sellers. They don''t seem to even try to compete, as they articulate a value add of: Service, twice annual cleaning, a good warranty, and finally - the ability to trade up to any diamond as long as it''s $4 more in value.

OK, seems to be a viable offer. But it leaves the seller in the position of trying to "value" these intangibles.

I''m almost feeling like buying there is like joining a "diamond club". Essentially, not buying just that particular diamond, but whatever they have at any time that my then wife (hopefully) wants to have. The downside - whatever diamond I''d "upgrade" to is still going to be priced in their consistent 18%-25% over the market value. So, is this wonderfully valuable flexibility; or am I locking into a lifetime of overpriced diamonds?

I realize it''s a personality thing - how do you price security, peace of mind warranty, the ability to change in the future?? All of those may range from hugely valuable to completely worthless - give the individual approaching the decision. But, would like some of your thoughts on it who have gone thru this decision....

Peter

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What warranty? That's not worth much IMO because jewelers should stand by their work anyway. If you have a pave encrusted ring you might occasionally need to shell out $20 to have a new stone put in, but it isn't worth thousands of dollars. Not to mention the fact that most stores will clean your ring for free...

And FYI: Most of the loved PS vendors also offer similar upgrade policies, so that isn't worth much in my book. And NONE of this is worth 15-20% more IMO.

sparxs111

Shiny_Rock
I agree. The PS vendors offer the same services or better. And as for cleaning, walk into almost any jewllery store and they will US you ring for free. Hell bvuy one for 100 then have a clean ring everyday. Or just plain use a toothbrush. For 18% more money don't even think about it. With a PS vendor you can almost guarantee your stone is top notch!!!!! So basically you locking into a lifetime of Higher priced stones as most PS vendors will upgrade at their lower prices...and thats even if you upgrade!!! Save the money and STILL have the peace of mind, with more than likely a better stone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2008 2:19:01 PM
Author: sparxs111
I agree. The PS vendors offer the same services or better. And as for cleaning, walk into almost any jewllery store and they will US you ring for free. Hell bvuy one for 100 then have a clean ring everyday. Or just plain use a toothbrush. For 18% more money don''t even think about it. With a PS vendor you can almost guarantee your stone is top notch!!!!! So basically you locking into a lifetime of Higher priced stones as most PS vendors will upgrade at their lower prices...and thats even if you upgrade!!! Save the money and STILL have the peace of mind, with more than likely a better stone.

Just to clarify...there are some PS vendors (or those who advertise on this website) that carry a much wider range of stones than the more popular vendors. So just because it''s from a PS vendor doesn''t necessarily mean it''s top notch.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Union Diamond is in Atlanta.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Rubbish! I bought online and I had the best service I have ever receive in my life, for any purchase. fullstop. I have a great warranty, a lifetime upgrade and I have local jewellers that are more than happy to clean it for me anytime I want, not just twice a year. If you want a club, join Pricescope
2.gif

They are not giving you anything extra *besides 4 walls* that I didn''t get from Whiteflash, but I paid a lot less at WF, and got a better ring.

Don''t be fooled into thinking they are giving you all this stuff, they are not. They just mark their prices up for the simple task of looking you in the eyes when trying to sell you stuff
40.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2008 11:45:31 AM
Author:pjsmithe

OK, still on the hunt in Atlanta, which has a well known B and M retailer with a pretty good reputation and grinding radio commercials. ;-)

I''m finding that their diamonds are generally about 18%-25% more than online sellers. They don''t seem to even try to compete, as they articulate a value add of: Service, twice annual cleaning, a good warranty, and finally - the ability to trade up to any diamond as long as it''s $4 more in value.

sent me the price difference
2.gif
i''ll buy you a nice US cleaner so you can clean it twice a day.
9.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I will admit to having some doubt with going online and losing the warranty that the local B&M store was offering. With my ring from them they would cover the stone and the setting for everything essentially including crack of stones and loss of stones. However, the diamond I wanted was 1K more than what I would have paid online. AND it''s NOWHERE near as nice as my Whiteflash ACA princess diamond! :) :) :) They also had a trade in policy of double (most B&M stores in my area do) and I couldn''t see paying an inflated price again on a trade in. So I went with Whiteflash. Now I''m going through the headache of getting the thing insured. But overall I''m happy with it. I also don''t know if that B&M store will be in business forever. So essentially I''d want to insure the ring from them as well. I''m happy with the decision to purchase online. I did however get the setting from my local store. It was actually cheaper than WF and I haven''t found my dream setting yet. So this was a good comfortable compromise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results