shape
carat
color
clarity

Brian Gavin's gonna recut my 2 carat! recut pics 1 !

Dina2

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Thank you for all the great advice you have given to a newbie like me.

I sent my 2 carat diamond I bought recently for $5,500, and crossed my fingers to see if Brian Gavin would recut it. I talked to him on the phone, and it's a GO! I am so happy and excited! After the recut I am going to have the diamond recertified and then placed in one of Brian's settings: Here are the before recut pics I got of my diamond today!

Here are four pics, and then three more on another post because I can only do four per post. Not much diameter taken off! from 7.8 to 7.1 only!!! here they are

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavins-gonna-recut-my-2-carat-recut-pics-2.189695/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/brian-gavins-gonna-recut-my-2-carat-recut-pics-2.189695/[/URL]

3031_prerecut_aset.jpg

3645_prerecut_hearts.jpg

3852_prerecut_arrows.jpg

5386_prerecut_advisor.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! That's awesome and I know it's going to come out fabulous! Did he have any idea how much you might lose on the diameter?

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Nice, how much are they charging for the recut? Now I kinda wish I bought a deeper cut discounted diamond and get it recut, how would one even know what a good recut candidate looks like?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh thats FANTASTIC!! i was so worried it wasnt a good candidate due to the clarity! thats just great i honestly CANNOT wait to see this recut, you are going to be blown away!! im so happy for you :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

what setting???

Dina2

Rough_Rock
Jumpin' Jack, honestIy, I knew nothing about diamonds before I bought this diamond on E-bay. I simply liked the weight and the clarity was decent and color was I - so it was what I could afford. Then I became educated after the fact, and realized my diamond was very deep! I couldn't return it, and then I found out that Brian Gavin does excellent recuts, and decided I should try that route. It is $350 dollars per carat for a recut, so mine is 700 dollars. If you look at my pics, you can see how poorly cut the diamond was - it lacked life, and it looked crooked too. Had I known anything about how important cut was I would have never purchased this diamond - it's too risky. If Brian Gavin wouldn't cut this diamond I would have been out $5,500 (extra 500 for setting - so I paid 6,000 dollars) and been left with what looked like a piece of glass at times.

Niel, I'm gonna go with a classic BG Tiffany knife-edge in 18 kt. yellow gold. My original wedding band from 17 years ago is yellow, and I want the ring to go with the band. I like the warmth of yellow gold too.

Thanks for all your help everyone! By the way Brian, Katie and Leslie are so fun to talk to! They are so knowledgeable, professional, and pleasant.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dina2|1369873363|3455991 said:
Jumpin' Jack, honestIy, I knew nothing about diamonds before I bought this diamond on E-bay. I simply liked the weight and the clarity was decent and color was I - so it was what I could afford. Then I became educated after the fact, and realized my diamond was very deep! I couldn't return it, and then I found out that Brian Gavin does excellent recuts, and decided I should try that route. It is $350 dollars per carat for a recut, so mine is 700 dollars. If you look at my pics, you can see how poorly cut the diamond was - it lacked life, and it looked crooked too. Had I known anything about how important cut was I would have never purchased this diamond - it's too risky. If Brian Gavin wouldn't cut this diamond I would have been out $5,500 (extra 500 for setting - so I paid 6,000 dollars) and been left with what looked like a piece of glass at times.

Niel, I'm gonna go with a classic BG Tiffany knife-edge in 18 kt. yellow gold. My original wedding band from 17 years ago is yellow, and I want the ring to go with the band. I like the warmth of yellow gold too.

Thanks for all your help everyone! By the way Brian, Katie and Leslie are so fun to talk to! They are so knowledgeable, professional, and pleasant.

love it! I love yellow gold. No need to explain it to me ;-) just cannot wait for this pics, youve stumbled into quite the deal!

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Yeah definitely too risky, but you lucked out on the recut eligibility, can't wait to see the results. Like you I started knowing nothing and was shown a 67.7% deep diamond initially, yuck! The original cut is definitely chaotic, I'm sure the results will be greeeat!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be stunning! I can't wait to see!

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
would be curious to see the transformation the stone will undergo.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very sure that you will see an imporvement in the diamonds appearance.

There is a typo in your post about the lost diamoneter right?? You wrote 7.8 to 7.1... I was going to say, ummm not sure its worth it! And now I look at the image from BGD it seems its going to drop to 7.71, which is a much better outcome!

Dina2

Rough_Rock
Oh MY! Yes. Dreamer D you are right! That was a BIG typo on my part! Correction 7.80 - 7.71. Sheesh!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was JUST about to say the same thing! That is very minimal loss of diameter. It is already the diameter of a 1.8 ct stone, so you really are not losing much.

Dina2

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, I saw your other message on the other thread about replying to my own thread to add more pics. Can I still add the other three pics here? If I reply now, wont those pics go all the way at the end now? I messed up.

Yes, the loss is so minimal in diameter it's unbelievable! I took calipers to make the adjustment before and after the recut; from 7.80 - 7.71, and it was barely noticeable :)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Dina2,

There must be a typo in your original post in this thread because there you say it is going from 7.8 to 7.1. 7.8 to 7.71 is definitely a small loss, but I was thinking that 7.8 to 7.1 wasn't so small.

liz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results