shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a diamond under the gun -- did I do ok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
I bought this diamond last night:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?shortnamelink=1&pid=LD00359285

This is really last minute and I need it by Monday to have enough time to mount it in a tension set for my girlfriend so I can surprise her on our vacation to Hawaii.

I noticed that the $/carat is high
sad.gif
, so I hope I didn't overspend too much. Too late now, I know, so I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I didn't totally screw up given the limited time I had to research...

Thanks,
James

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, with such an expensive purchase, why only give yourself a short time to shop?
confused.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! D VVS1! That's why the price/carat is high!!!
2.gif

Can you still get a Sarin report on it before they ship? It would be nice to know the crown/pavilion angles.

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
It's a VVS2 (unless I missed something???)

The Hawaii trip came up very suddenly (visiting newborn in family). We've been together a long time and it seemed like the perfect time to do it.

Already shipped -- will be here on Monday.

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
D/VVS1 is VERY, VERY nice!! you can't go wrong in color & clarity, but you put yourself in a high price $$per cart category. How does it sparkle?!
love.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Woops, my bad. Still D/VVS2, no wonder the price/carat is high!
2.gif

Let your eyes decide, since it's on its way. If you can take it to an independent appraiser before having it set, you could get the dimensions...

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
>>How does it sparkle
I'll tell you on Monday
1.gif

My main concern is that I paid too much for it, given $/carat relative to similar diamonds.

Is it safe to say that a similarly spec'd (in terms of the 4Cs) higher $/carat diamond on bluenile.com is better quality than a lower $/carat diamond, or is that not really a good indication?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
well its going to be really high per carat because you went VVS and D. Had you gone G VS it wouldn't be nearly so high per carat. STILL thats a stunner. AAs long as the cut is good you did fine. CUT is the most important. If its an IDEAL or "signature" cut you did fantastically.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 9/24/2004 3:26:45 PM i_am_james wrote:

Is it safe to say that a similarly spec'd (in terms of the 4Cs) higher $/carat diamond on bluenile.com is better quality than a lower $/carat diamond, or is that not really a good indication?
----------------

I have found no corelation. It depends upon the mark-up of the vendor, timimg of pricing (old stock, new stock). Mostly it depends on the mark-up the vendor wants.

It looks like it could be a great stone though. Good luck

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get that insured as well. Especially with a tension set.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
For the specs that you got you probably didn't pay too much for it, but you must set up an appraisal Monday and see what the appraiser say!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
The numbers look pretty good, but i must say, the price is high for a 1.21ct. If the cut is awesome, then i would feel better about it. To pay a large sum of money like that, it's best to let a pro examine it. (don't forget about the return policy) You don't want to pay over $15k and end up with a okay stone. you want to make sure this rock can show off what you put in it($$$).
22.gif

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
ugh
sick.gif

I have to take it to the jeweler, essentially right after I receive it, to send it off to gelin & abaci to ensure that they can deliver the ring to me on time. I'm more or less stuck with it (barring anything really wrong with it, in which case, of course I would return it)...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
My humble suggestions...

Use the weekend, if possible, to look in various jewelery stores at lots of stones. (Remember, though, that jewelry store lights can make a river rock sparkle!) Then you'll be in a better position on Monday to compare, and determine if the diamond you bought is a great performer.

Without the crown and pav angles, it's impossible to know if it's really an "ideal" cut... but it sure has the potential to be gorgeous. Personally, D color and VVS clarity are not "important" to me... I chose a G/VS stone, over 1.5 carat weight, and paid several K less. But your color and clarity are definitely beautiful, and highly prized by some.

I definitely agree that if you like the stone, and plan to keep it, get it independently appraised.

If you get it and you don't think it's all it could be, you can return it - BN has a 30-day return policy. Then you can go back to shopping... and find a great stone here on PS!
2.gif

Lynn

Edited to add... I think we were posting at the same time! I am sorry you feel so hurried with this purchase! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
1.gif

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
I did actually find the diamond through the search on this site -- really glad I found it!

And actually, I have been looking at other diamonds, but it came down to the point where I wasn't satisfied with the local jewelers and just had to make a purchase or not have the ring for my vacation.

The color was most important to me -- it seemed I could always pick out the D or E color, so either I have a good eye for color, or there were other factors -- but these were stones with similar specs otherwise.

The rest -- well, I'm anal and a perfectionist, so, whether or not it's logical, that probably played into the decision more than anything
9.gif

Well, nobody has said I totally scrwer up so I guess that's a good sign
2.gif

In any event, I appreciate everyone's comments!

reena

Ideal_Rock
more importantly: WHERE exactly are you going in hawaii, which is my favorite place on the planet?

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
We're going to spend half our time in Hawaii (the island, that is), and half our time in Oahu.

I'm really looking forward to it -- I've never been there before.

I think I'm going to find a really secluded beach in Hawaii (the island again) and propose to her there
1.gif

Cynthia

Rough_Rock
Where about in Oahu? Been there twice ... knows a few really nice places that are off the beaten path. Natually I have photos. Will you have a car?

Cindy

reena

Ideal_Rock
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/24/2004 4:02:10 PM i_am_james wrote:

The color was most important to me -- it seemed I could always pick out the D or E color, so either I have a good eye for color, or there were other factors -- but these were stones with similar specs otherwise.

The rest -- well, I'm anal and a perfectionist, so, whether or not it's logical, that probably played into the decision more than anything
9.gif

----------------

LOL!!!
9.gif
Hey, there's nothing wrong with being an Anal Perfectionist... there's a lot of us around these parts!
2.gif
You know what you like, and you got it. I doubt you will ever regret it.

I think you will probably be very pleased with your diamond. And have a GREAT vacation!
1.gif

Lynn

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
Cindy -- we're staying at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental in Honolulu. My brother lives in Kailua, so we'll be there, too. We will have a car.

reena -- I take it you approve of my proposal plan?
1.gif

Thanks Lynn!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
On 9/24/2004 4:16:33 PM Lynn B wrote: <hr size="1"
----------------[/quote]

LOL!!!
9.gif
Hey, there's nothing wrong with being an Anal Perfectionist... there's a lot of us around these parts!
2.gif

Lynn ----------------[/quote]

I agree, Lynn, many of us belong in the anal-perfectionist club. You almost have to be if you are in the process of buying an expensive item like diamonds. Maybe i should relax my anal part a bit so i can FIND something i like.
9.gif
Soon i hope... i hope...

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes! i love love love hawaii; it is my dream. i have not been to the big island but i want to go--i hear it's beautiful. oahu is fun too, but more commerical. big island may be more proposal-appropriate (although i'm sure either would be great!)

congrats and good luck!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Reena, if you LOVE Hawaii, you might give Kauai a try. It's the oldest island and the most beautiful one. I've been there 3 times and i LOVE it every time. Be sure to take a helicopter ride... that will blow you away. Unfortunately, our helicopter did not come with the doors, so i was hanging on to my dear life. Talk about white knuckles.
6.gif
But most of the island companies have doors on their helicopters. My bf thought it would be more exciting to go without doors. I loved the veiw from high above, but (hate to say this) I didn't take any pictures with my camera. As you can image i wasn't going to let go or move at all let along trying to use my cemera with 1 hand. Good thing he was the gutsy one, he took some beautiful/incredible pictures of the Kauai island.
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes, actually my BF and i spent 10 days in kauai for our post-bar trip and it was incredible.
love.gif
we love, love, love that island. i only wish i could get married there! we have also been to maui twice and loved that as well. but there's no place like kauai!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
WOW.... you do LOVE Hawaii!!! The only island I haven't been to is Maui.

Of course you can get married in Kauai (if that's what you want). A friend of mine JUST got married there. Talk to your honey and see what happens. Hawaiian style. The bride wore a simple white dress and SANDALS!! Look in to it if that's your dream location for your SPECIAL day.
2.gif

"If you don't ask, you don't get..."

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh, firerock, you have to go to maui! it's a little more commercialized than kauai (but much less so than oahu), and it's really just exactly what you think of when you think of "hawaii"--gorgeous scenery (swaying palm trees, calm water, and you can see lanai in the distance from kaanapali beach
love.gif
), fun places to ear outdoors and listen to live hawaiian music, tropical umbrella drinks on the beach, tiki torches everywhere . . . . as opposed kauai, which i think is more impressive for its raw natural beauty but is much less built-up (and consequently has less non-hiking/canoeing/watersports/here's a picture of me next to another waterfall-type things to do). and as much as i'd like to pretend that i'm ALL ABOUT NATURE, to be honest with you when i'm on vacation all i really want to do is lie prone on a padded lounge chair, drink numerous frozen alcoholic beverages (preferably obtained from a bar located 10 feet or less from said padded lounge chair), shop and go out to fun dinners. maui has a little more of that than kauai. but the maui/kauai split is the perfect vacation--a good mix of both.

now kauai would be better for a wedding i think--much quieter and more private. and it wouldn't really be that tough from my soon-to-be home of san diego. BUT, all of my family and friends are on the east coast, and that's a looooong way to fly for a wedding.
sad.gif

DanieBurger

Rough_Rock
We just got our 1.17 carat F color, VS2 clarity for $6400. It's awesome and has the best sparkle. The VS2 clarity is 100% eyeclean. I've looked at it under my 30X loupe and there is only one little black spec that no one will ever see - not even me. I hope that yours is spectacular for such a high price and I hope she loves it! If either one of you don't like it, you can go down just a few color grades and clarity grades and still get a great stone. I love mine $6400 one just as much if not more than the more expensive stones I've seen. Good luck to you!

i_am_james

Rough_Rock
For myself, I think there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that I got her the best (or close enough to it), even if it really doesn't make sense considering you can't see the difference with the naked eye (or the minute difference if you can). I know that sounds kind of superficial...

b52holly

Rough_Rock
Hey James...my sister lives on Oahu and I've been there twice with my boyfriend to vacation and visit her (once for spring break and over 2 months this summer) I think I've seen more of Oahu than most. We did a lot of hiking and exploring and found some secluded beaches and awesome spots. Do you know where you want to propose? Maybe I could give you some ideas. I also have a yahoo photos website with TONS of pictures of hawaii that I took on my outings. So if you'd like I can give you the link so you can look at those or just throw some ideas at you. Are you thinking of hiking somewhere to have a nice scenic view or doing the beach thing?

PS- kailua is beautiful...my bf and I kayaked out to "Da Moks" (2 offshore islands) Beautiful and very fun.

Let me know how I can help

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results