clarity

Body colour importance in I & J diamonds

Shravank30

Rough_Rock
Hello

I am going to buy a I or J color solitaire diamond of about 1.25 Carat

It will come with a GIA certificate

I had a doubt about the body color or tint of the diamond

I have been offered diamonds which vary about 20% in prices with same parameters in 4Cs (All Excellent)

I am told the price variation is due to the body color being LB, LC or white in the same GIA J color with LB being the cheapest, then LC & then White

All the 3 diamonds have similar inclusions of VVS2 and are 100% eye clean

I have personally seen a GIA certified J color 1.29 carat stone with medium blue fluorescence . Under the loupe when i saw from the sides of the diamond lying on a white paper, I could see the brown body very clearly

As I am buying over the internet, I do not have access to the actual diamond but when i spoke to the vendor, he said the difference between the diamonds was very subtle and would be visible only under a loupe to a trained eye

Does it make any sense to pay a 20% premium for the white body over the LB body when I am buying a J certified diamond ?

Also as I am going for a J color diamond, should I go for a medium blue fluorescence stone ?

Thanks for advising

beyond4cs

Rough_Rock
For a light brown tinted J diamond, medium blue fluorescence won't offer you the benefits of making it appear "whiter" in certain lighting conditions. Apart from that and assuming all 3 diamonds are equally well-cut, it boils down to personal preferences.

Shravank30

Rough_Rock
Hello

Thanks for the reply

I think I did not make myself clear in the OP

My main query Is the body tint actually a factor in purchasing a diamond of GIA certified J color and the same J color diamond can come in 3 tints LB,LC or white ?

Thanks for advising

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the color makes a difference in price. The most common are yellows, browns, grays, and my least favorite: greenish gray. Sorry, I'm not familiar with what LB/LC means.

Shravank30

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1416631939|3788366 said:
Yes, the color makes a difference in price. The most common are yellows, browns, grays, and my least favorite: greenish gray. Sorry, I'm not familiar with what LB/LC means.

Thanks for the confirmation

I presume LB means Light Brown, LC means Light coloured (Other then brown)

But can a J colour Diamond have a white body ?
The Vendor is selling some diamonds under the heading of white body also (costliest in the range)

Thanks for advising

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results