shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
This question is for Blue Nile and similiar companies. How do they determine what stones fall into the Ideal, Very Good, Good and Fair range for cut? Many stones on sites like Blue Nile don''t have sarin data nor do they have AGS certs, so how do these people make the determination as to what category a particular stone falls into?

Furthermore, how reliable is that determination? Would stones in Blue Nile''s "Very good" range be quite good performers? They claim that they''re not far off from Ideal cut stones and the average person would be hardpressed to notice a significant difference.

queensr001

Rough_Rock
the diamond is a gift from the heart..if the diamond looks great, isnt that the most important.

the range for the so called Ideal cut is so vast, almost every diamond can fall in..

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
How would these stones that are found in the "Very Good" range from most online dealers like Blue Nile compare to a H&A?

Is the difference noticable? Is the markup for an ideal cut H&A really worth it?

I've never seen one in person, nor have I seen a very well cut non-H&A stone, so I have no clue how they compare to each other.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be easy to find enough posts on Pricescope stating that:

#1 - EightStar are the finest RBCs,

and

#2 they are TOOOO expensive for most buyers posting around. It's the premium, not the quality that gets hit. So?

Besides, you might not want to say that some diamond returns 100% light back on this technicaly-crazed forum - maybe the most possible.

Also, while everyone seems to acept that Eight Star's cut is the standard, there is some debate on how close others can get to it and wether the extra notch of perfection is worth all that much.

I do not remember any posts (since I joined, and given that I might not have read everything on PS, literally) downgrading the cut quality of the EightStar diamonds. Quite a few state that "their premium is way to much".

It would be helpful to compare one of the diamonds considered top 'performers' by 'PS standards' and an Eight Star. As far as I know, at least some sellers posted opinions that recognize there IS a difference. Up to the buyer to decide how important that is.
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Queensr001, welcome to the forum.
----------------
the diamond is a gift from the heart..if the diamond looks great, isnt that the most important.
.----------------
Forget me if I'm wrong but I think you are from the industry because that what industry is telling consumers and also teach the sales people to sell not the diamond but love.

I think it's fine if that what consumers want. Consumers, however, are getting smarter and demand more accurate information than that. They simply don't want to be taken advantage of because of the lack of information provided.

Educated consumer is not a threat for the diamond business as many in the industry afraid. It just requires from the sales people to learn more about diamonds and know at least as much as consumers today.
----------------
the range for the so called Ideal cut is so vast, almost every diamond can fall in.
.----------------
I'm afraid it is not quite right. According to GIA study only 3% of tested diamonds are within ideal range of proportions. Most of the diamonds in the world are still cut for the weight retention.

In fact GIA is very close to publishing its own cut grading system. Other labs are working on this as well.

Stick around and you might find it interesting
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Finchuck:
----------------
How would these stones that are found in the 'Very Good' range from most online dealers like Blue Nile compare to a H&A?

Is the difference noticable? Is the markup for an ideal cut H&A really worth it?

I've never seen one in person, nor have I seen a very well cut non-H&A stone, so I have no clue how they compare to each other.----------------
People do see the difference between Very Good, AGS0, and sometimes H&A.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. Can you find a Hearts of Fire dealer in your area?

openhelix

Shiny_Rock
To be honest, I've found Blue Nile to be fairly generous in their grading system... It may very well be a great performer, but I wouldn't use Blue Nile's grading system as a guideline. Blue Nile is arguably the most reputable of the mass market Internet retailers, but they don't have the time or the resources to really look at the stones and separate the real winners from the less attractive stones. They do have a decent return policy, IIRC, so if you don't love it you could always send it back?
rolleyes.gif

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
I'm buying it from someone else that bought the ring from Blue Nile for over $3,000 in August. Their engagement didn't work out so he's willing to sell it to me for $1,800 since he can't get anymore than that from his local jewelery stores.

One thing I'm wondering is that many people say that a H&A makes a stone look whiter and cleaner, but HOW MUCH whiter and cleaner?

Would this "Very Good" cut I/SI1 still look whiter and cleaner than the H&A J/SI2?

These are just general questions of course, as every stone is different.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi Finchuck,

I haven't been around the forum in awhile. I was helped tremendously by the pricescope folks when my engagement ring was stolen last august. I was insured (thankfully) and after a 3+ month search, I found a fantastic stone.

The reason I decided to chime into this thread is because my stone is from Blue Nile. I have a 3.01 ct. H, totally eyeclean SI1 round diamond. It has ideal proportions (54 table, depth 61.2 ) Since I knew to ask, I was provided with the Sarin and when the numbers were input in the HCA, my stone rated a 1.2 FIC. Also, I sent it to Rich Sherwood for confirmation that it was indeed a great stone - and he concurred.

The point of this is....if you have the tools and info to make an informed choice of a diamond....you can and will find the stone you are looking for. I tried all the online recommended vendors and would have purchased from many of them...but...at the time noone had a stone I wanted in my price range. I had fantastic service from BN and would totally recommend them.

I must add, however, that I was not looking for a H & A or 8star stone. I was looking for the best balance of quality, color , size all within my budget. I will say that this week alone, 3 people have told me that my ring is the nicest one they have ever seen. It sparkles like crazy. All of my friends have nice rings. Noone has a stone that looks like mine. Just my 2 cents.... Good Luck!!!

openhelix

Shiny_Rock
The general rule is that an exceptional cut can mask two grades of color. Thus an I would appear like a G. I have an I stone that is extremely well cut and it faces up like an F, even to multiple independent jewelers, however it shows a little color on the sides, probably akin to a G/H, IMO.

Generally a lot of H&A cuts will look a little "steely". Many people like this, especially as the arrows are often visible even after the stone is set and without magnification or a viewer.

You'll hear it around here often, CUT IS KING.
1.gif
Also remember that a well cut stone with tons of light return will always look larger than a lifeless stone of similiar size, regardless of carat weight.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
Wow, 2 grades of color! I next expected it to be that much of a difference. Would you expect a J/SI2 H&A to look better than Blue Nile's I/SI1 Very Good cut? Of course this is a pretty general question, again.

openhelix

Shiny_Rock
Finchuck. There is no definite answer to your question! Without some of the other tests, and definitely all the other numbers involved (sarin report), it's IMPOSSIBLE to give any sort of educated guess on which stone would be "better". You can't even make a conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results