shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile - 4-prong platinum setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rensallar

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.. thanks for all the help in the forums. This actually turned to be lots of fun shopping for a stone! I''ve learned so much more than I ever wanted to know about diamonds. I''ll even end up staying on the forums just because it''s so interesting :) Plus I might need some proposal advice, hehe.

Well, I finally ordered a princess cut diamond from Blue Nile.. it will be arriving next week. I had planned on getting a setting at Robbins Bros. Just a simple "tiffany" setting in palladium and then changing it afterwards if my soon-to-be fiance wants to change it later.

My question is.. has anybody ordered a ring from Blue Nile with the 4-prong platinum setting? I was wondering if you had any comments about it / pictures? It just seems a lot easier to have the entire ring set at Blue Nile if this setting looks good.

It would make it more of a pain to send it back and have the stone removed if we want to change the setting to something from a B&M.

Any suggestions?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you intend for the setting to be temporary, by all means have BN set it in the least expensive white gold solitaire setting. Then if she finds a setting locally, they will remove it from that setting and reset in the new setting. Going ahead and having it set now will allow you to insure it as well.

rensallar

Rough_Rock
Thanks.. that will probably be the plan, but if the BN platinum setting looks nice, I''m wondering if she will end up just keeping it. They will accept returns, so if we return the setting, it doesn''t end up costing anything.

At all the stores, they were telling me like 90% of people end up just keeping the solitaire setting rather than go ahead with getting a different mounting.

Anyone who has a BN setting who''d recommend it?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have a setting from BN, but I have purchased several other pieces from them. Their quality is very good, so I am sure that the ring would be lovely. I would just let them set it, that way you are covered if (God forbid) anything happens during setting the stone.

Quash

Rough_Rock
I personally wouldn''t do a temporary setting in Platinum. I''d go as cheap as I could at Bluenile and then let her have fun shopping for the setting locally. But, if you''re trying to get a temporary setting that could be the permanent setting, then Bluenile''s prices are right. Just check if it''s 95% platinum and 5% iridium, which I understand has a Vickers hardness rating of 80, vs. 95% platinum/5% ruthenium, which has a hardness factor of 135. Others would have more informed opinions on this.

As a long shot, if you''re looking for a very well made platinum or palladium Tiffany setting, it may be worth shipping it over to Barry at Excel, which does very high quality Tiffany replicas. See here for pics and videos for the six prong, but I know he has other settings (that''s just to show the type of work he does): (http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Classic-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-640.html)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results